have i managed to buy a camera with two faulty lenses

Old September 2nd 10, 11:26 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
dickr2

Default have i managed to buy a camera with two faulty lenses

David Nebenzahl wrote:
snip

The AV-1 works as has been described for other cameras of this vintage:
if you operate the f-top ring, the lens does *not* stop down.

And it seems as if your lenses are working normally as well. I just
checked my Canon FD lens (50mm), and when removed from the camera, the
aperture seems to sit about halfway closed, not fully open.

Of course, with the lens mounted on the camera, it should be fully open
when viewing through it. What happens when you mount the lens on the
camera?

I just checked out a lens mounted on an old Canon AE-1 and, ta da, all you
do is slide the stop down "thing", and then you can check if the iris
operates at various f stops. Hopefully, the iris "leaves" or whatever they're
called aren't sticking because the lenses were exposed to extreme heat that
might cause the internal lens lubricant to get sticky.

This happened with a Canon FD 135mm lens many years ago. I could see the
lubricant on the leaves, but removing the lens from the camera and hitting
the lens on the palm of my other hand would loosen the leaves.

You may not have a big problem.

FWIW
Dick

Old September 3rd 10, 12:33 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

"sean-sheehan" wrote in message

have i managed to buy a camera with two faulty lenses or am i havin a
blonde day i have an old canon and i was trying to see if my apperture
was work on both 28 + 50 mm lenses and when i run through all the f
stops the iris dosent move. is this just me being stupid do they only
move when attached to the camera, hope someone can shed some light on
this thanks, sean

In most cameras, the iris is held open fully until just before the shutter
trips, so you continue to get the brightest image possible through your
viewfinder until the last possible moment. Then, just before the shutter
trips, exposing the film to the image, the iris is stopped down to the
pre-determined, "best exposure" aperture.

Old September 3rd 10, 12:46 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
K W Hart

"sean-sheehan" wrote in message

snip
hey thanks yeah its too old for that its a canon av-1 with a canon fd
50mm lens and a canon 28mm lens i can see the iris and its not at
maximum maybe around the 11 f-stop size on both lenses and as i spin the
apperture round nothing happens on either just thought this was not
right

The Canon brand FD lenses came in two varieties: the earliest had a
breechlock ring that turned to mount the lens. The later variety did not
have a separate ring- the whole lens turned to rotate.
In some early lenses, the pin sticking out the back of the lens at the
bottom can be moved to one side and the aperature would stop down. In other
(and later) lenses, the lens has to be mounted (or 'faked' into thinking it
is mounted) to allow the stop-down pin to be active.
Perhaps the best bet would be to mount the lens(es) on the camera, stop it
down, set the shutter to a slow speed and fire the camera so that you can
see the aperature stop down when looking at the front of the lens. It may be
difficult with the 28mm as the sperature may be small to begin with.
Does the camera have a stop-down or depth of field preview button/lever?
This will answer your question.

Old September 3rd 10, 08:04 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
rwalker

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 10:50:02 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

Not true.

Most (almost all?) non-electronic, mostly-mechanical cameras (35mm SLRs)
use "wide-open" viewing, so the aperture doesn't close until the shutter
is released.

I was thinking of my Pentax 67 lenses, which have a separate preview
lever built into the lens.
Old September 3rd 10, 08:09 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
rwalker

wrote:

Not true.

Most (almost all?) non-electronic, mostly-mechanical cameras (35mm SLRs)
use "wide-open" viewing, so the aperture doesn't close until the shutter
is released.

I was thinking of my Pentax 67 lenses, which have a separate preview
lever built into the lens.

Just checked the lenses for my old Nikon FG 20. On them, the iris
opens and closes as youi adjust the F-stop without being attached to
the camera.
Old September 5th 10, 12:13 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 16:33:35 -0700, "Bill Graham" wrote:
:
: "sean-sheehan" wrote in message
: ...
:
: have i managed to buy a camera with two faulty lenses or am i havin a
: blonde day i have an old canon and i was trying to see if my apperture
: was work on both 28 + 50 mm lenses and when i run through all the f
: stops the iris dosent move. is this just me being stupid do they only
: move when attached to the camera, hope someone can shed some light on
: this thanks, sean
:
: In most cameras, the iris is held open fully until just before the shutter
: trips, so you continue to get the brightest image possible through your
: viewfinder until the last possible moment. Then, just before the shutter
: trips, exposing the film to the image, the iris is stopped down to the
: pre-determined, "best exposure" aperture.

Back in the early days of SLRs, there was a line of lenses (can't recall who
made them) with a spring-loaded mechanical iris preset. The lens had a cocking
lever and a cable release fitting. You cocked the iris open to frame the
picture, then used a cable release to let it return to its preset position
before firing the shutter. I remember seeing a picture of a cable release with
two buttons and two cables: one for the iris and one for the shutter. You just
had to remember which button to push first.

Bob
Old September 7th 10, 02:13 PM
Harold Gough Harold Gough is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean-sheehan View Post
have i managed to buy a camera with two faulty lenses or am i havin a blonde day i have an old canon and i was trying to see if my apperture was work on both 28 + 50 mm lenses and when i run through all the f stops the iris dosent move. is this just me being stupid do they only move when attached to the camera, hope someone can shed some light on this thanks, sean
This may be of interest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minolta_SR-T_101

I suggest you fit the lens to the empty camera and test fire on B setting or any slow shutter speed and observe the diaphragm closing according to each aperture chosen.
Old September 20th 10, 07:01 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

sean-sheehan wrote:
David Nebenzahl;889219 Wrote:
On 9/2/2010 11:02 AM dickr2 spake thus:
-
David Nebenzahl wrote:

snip-

Most (almost all?) non-electronic, mostly-mechanical cameras (35mm
SLRs) use "wide-open" viewing, so the aperture doesn't close until
the shutter is released.

Typical of this type of camera is my Minolta SRT-101, which can be used

without a battery (only powers the meter, which the camera will work
without). Twisting the aperture ring does nothing to stop down the
iris,
unless the depth-of-field preview button is pushed.-

Yup, my old Canon FTb (same vintage as your SRT-101) works the same
way.
We need more info from the OP!-

Well, since almost all 35mm SLRs of that vintage work exactly the same
way, it's likely his (her?) camera works perfectly well. But yes, it
would help to know what camera we're dealing with here.

thanks everyone its a canon av-1 with standard fd canon lenses

AE-1?
Old September 20th 10, 05:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pete[_8_]

On 2010-09-20 09:51:28 +0100, Bruce said:

Paul Furman wrote:
sean-sheehan wrote:

thanks everyone its a canon av-1 with standard fd canon lenses

AE-1?

The AV-1 was a cheaper version of the AE-1 with aperture-priority
automatic exposure (AE) rather than the AE-1's shutter priority AE.

As with the AE-1, body construction was plastic panels over a metal
subframe. Unlike to AE-1, the AV-1 had no manual exposure mode.

I remember them well. I wanted the A-1 my friend had, but I never
managed to afford one at the time.

--
Pete

Old September 20th 10, 05:37 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
dickr2

On 2010-09-20 09:51:28 +0100, Bruce said:

Paul Furman wrote:

sean-sheehan wrote:

thanks everyone its a canon av-1 with standard fd canon lenses

AE-1?

The AV-1 was a cheaper version of the AE-1 with aperture-priority
automatic exposure (AE) rather than the AE-1's shutter priority AE.

As with the AE-1, body construction was plastic panels over a metal
subframe. Unlike to AE-1, the AV-1 had no manual exposure mode.

I remember them well. I wanted the A-1 my friend had, but I never
managed to afford one at the time.

Canon A-1s, I have 2 of them that I use all the time, mainly because
I have a nice selection of Canon FD lenses.

Dick the Canon FD junkie