Difficult subject

Old August 2nd 04, 02:59 PM
Petros

Default Difficult subject

Francis A. Miniter posted:
Petros wrote:

Well... I'll be using two cameras. One is a duck Sigma SD9

Ouch! Digital. I'm wounded.

Don't take it personally, I also used to paint with oils and
watercolor, and built most of my furniture out of hardwood, but I live
in a different reality now

and the
other is a duck again 35mm slr.

Favor the 35 mm slr. See if you can rent or borrow a second
body for the day.

The Sigma is mine, the 35mm belongs
to the bride. I'm not doing this for money, but as a favor to the
bride. As for medium format, the costs are too high here in Poland for
such luxuries

Too late for the wedding but you might look into a Russian
Lubitel. A low cost and basic TLR. There is also the
Chinese made Seagull.

I actually have an old rolliflex, which just needs some cleaning, but
it's the film that costs too much here. 108 frames for $6 (bride's
choice) vs. 12 frames for $10, plus waiting two weeks to get it
developed...

For most of the graphic work that I do, the digital is the best option,
as it saves me many hours of scanning and transfer and money spent on
developing film and driving back and forth to the photo store. No
turning back now!

--
Petros
Ap' ola prin ipirche o Logos
Old August 2nd 04, 10:07 PM
Petros

zeitgeist posted:
Not likely to be from the sound of the shutter, probably he sees your finger
tense on the shutter.

One remedy would be to use a long cable release and hold your hand behind
your back. A lot of pros use a flash bracket with a handle on the side and
a pistol grip with a shutter release, with all the cables and stuff on the
bracket handle, as well as the tilt of it, you can hide or obscure the
trigger finger's flex.

Good point. I'll see if I can get a hold of something by Saturday.

How often does he do this? half or more of the exposures?

His record is close to that of The Pill, ie. 99.9% of the time.

I've run across this problem several times, usually with (possibly) abused
kids and some women (again possibly abused as kids) Never a guy. Frankly
it sounds like latent assholism. You know, a weasel control freak.

I don't know about latent...

Use a tripod, you can stand and look at the couple's eyes when you shoot and
see the reflection of the flash in their eyes, the catch lights. You can
see if this guy is a jerk or just has a psychological problem.

If its the former you can bash the guy upside the head with the tripod and
then tell the bride (I'll bet she's the one you're friends with) not to
marry this creep, she won't listen, they still won't be a happy couple but
at least you won't spend the rest of your life knowing you saw your friend
walk in front of a moving train without saying anything.

I've tried to say it diplomatically, but to no avail. She's feels like
an old maid, and is willing to take whatever she can get (although she
wouldn't admit to that).

blink blink blink, swap swap swap.

Hopefully it won't come to this, but if it does, I'm prepared

Thanks for all the advice. I'm sure it will come in handy.

--
Petros
Ap' ola prin ipirche o Logos

Old August 2nd 04, 10:40 PM
Petros

Thank you, Lloyd, for your good advice. Unfortunately, the equipment I
listed is all I have to work with, so I'll have to make do with it.
(The Sigma does sound a bit loud, and that concerns me more for the
shots during the ceremony.) I think that I've gotten a number of really
good ideas from this group, and one idea in particular hit me as I
looked through your site: If you can't get the portrait with their eyes
open and looking at the viewer, make it work some other way. "Stacey
and Cassandra" is a good example. That helps me get out of the box I
was in. Thanks!

--
Petros
Ap' ola prin ipirche o Logos

Old August 3rd 04, 09:41 AM
Dennis Bradley

wrote in message
Kibo informs me that Petros stated that:

My question has to do with a wedding that I'll be shooting for a friend
of mine next weekend. I did some test shots with the couple today, and
found out that the groom has a reaction to the shutter that makes him
close his eyes when he hears it, even if the flash is turned off. Does
anybody have any advice for what I can do to minimalize his reaction?
I'd hate for all the shots of the "happy couple" to be with his eyes
closed.

I photograph people like that all the time. My trick is to set the
camera to continuous drive & take a double or triple burst instead of a
single shot.

Taking a couple of shots in quick succession works for me too.
I am not really at ease photographing people, and there is always someone in
a group who blinks or moves their head in some way.
I work with digital images and it is then usually a simple matter to clone a
head from the second-best picture to replace the awkward one in the better
group picture.

Dennis

Old August 3rd 04, 05:43 PM
Lloyd

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 23:40:39 +0200, Petros
wrote:

Thank you, Lloyd, for your good advice. Unfortunately, the equipment I
listed is all I have to work with, so I'll have to make do with it.
(The Sigma does sound a bit loud, and that concerns me more for the
shots during the ceremony.) I think that I've gotten a number of really
good ideas from this group, and one idea in particular hit me as I
looked through your site: If you can't get the portrait with their eyes
open and looking at the viewer, make it work some other way. "Stacey
and Cassandra" is a good example. That helps me get out of the box I
was in. Thanks!

aug304 from Lloyd Erlick,

Glad to help!

That portrait is a good example of why we should keep every
negative, no matter what. I was looking over old work I had
decided wasn't so great, and found a few I liked. I used to
be very inflexible about subject's eyes being visible.
Closed eyes were just a mistake. I guess I've grown up since
then! Some of our errors are actually art...

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
voice: 416-686-0326