How to start into wedding photography ?

Old February 5th 04, 02:15 PM
otzi

Default How to start into wedding photography ?

"Randall Ainsworth" wrote in message
I know it's heresy to say this (here), but I'd suggest going digital.
Also no weddings until you have become quite familiar with using
Photoshop and digital imaging processes and printing. I've had a 500C
and SWC etc., but I consider them all to be collector items at this
point. I now use a Kodak 14n and various flash systems including a
modified Quantum 400 W-S, and carry a Nikon D100 for backup. Shoot in
RAW mode and you can capture a latitude of 10 stops (try THAT with
film). Nowdays it is also common to use bluescreen masking methods to
position your subjects into surroundings of their choice, and this is
very easy with digital. In fact just about everything is much easier
with digital, and you'll get better results, too!! (let the flames
begin...)

I used Hasselblads exclusively for 20+ years but if I were to get back
into it again, I'd go digital.

A handy trick if you are any good with these digital things is to down load
onto a laptop and sell at the reception. Get'em while they are hot so to
speak. Myself I'm purely film but I can well see the advantages of digital
but don't sell yourself short with cheap bottom end equipment. Quality
costs although in fairness there be few who can tell after a few beers at
the reception.

Old February 5th 04, 03:45 PM
Randall Ainsworth

A handy trick if you are any good with these digital things is to down load
onto a laptop and sell at the reception. Get'em while they are hot so to
speak. Myself I'm purely film but I can well see the advantages of digital
but don't sell yourself short with cheap bottom end equipment. Quality
costs although in fairness there be few who can tell after a few beers at
the reception.

I have no intention of doing weddings again. I spent way too many
Saturday nights at somebody else's party. But I think the 10D would do
an admirable job.
Old February 5th 04, 04:18 PM
KBob

On 04 Feb 2004 22:26:48 GMT, (SoarHead) wrote:

this is
very easy with digital. In fact just about everything is much easier
with digital, and you'll get better results, too!! (let the flames
begin...)

No flames here. I went all digital last year with my Mamiya and Kodak 645M and
love it. I also went Fuji S2 and Nikon D2H and they have improved my game
considerably for sports and photojournalism. The Medium format 16 megapixel
Kodak does a great portrait job. I was curious how the 14N was working in that
department.

It seems to me that the CCD for the 14n must be similar in behavior to
that of the 645, except for being 4536 X 3024 instead of 4080 X 4080.
My understanding is that these backs have a 150% lens factor, so the
physical sensor size must be somewhat similar. You appear to have
made intelligent choices for your specific applications; I certainly
wouldn't favor using the 14n for applications outside the studio or in
situations where I couldn't control the lighting adequately. I'm
still trying to work around the well-known problems with shadow noise,
and am also experiencing some peculiar artifacting with highlights.
The oddest thing--sometimes overexposed skies contain areas that
appear to be filled with some sort of PC layout pattern, possibly an
image of the CCD die itself...do you ever see this or are my eyeballs
going? I love having the extra resolution to permit cropping, and RAW
imaging to help control exposure & color problems.

On the whole aspect of shooting weddings for some cash, but not to sure about
shooting people...
If I had a buck for all the people that want to kill the wedding photographer
for poor lighting etc...
Pre-plan by visiting the site...finding out what the couple wants.
Get some friends, relatives to help you test your lighting setup and practice
your people skills.
Dress up to their level and wear a happy face. Try to plan photo windows in
the schedule and get the formal bride shots out of the way before the ceremony.
They should be your first shots of the day...tell her how pretty she is and
have fun...(and don't drink until you're done...I have my wedding pictures as
examples.)
Vince

Excellent suggestions all--common sense but often ignored or
forgotten. I'd only add that an extra set or two of batteries for the
flash, a backup camera, backup everything actually...you only have a
chance to get it right once. For many interior situations I like the
results I get using barebulb flash with a 400 W-S Quantum-X.
Old April 29th 04, 10:05 AM
Patrick L.

wrote in message
om...
Was reading some posts here... hope I'm ok with my question.

Am very interested in starting into Wedding Photography. Extra income
I guess being the main motivation... second to taking pictures.
(second only because "People" have never been my thing, am much more
into scenics,
anyway...

If I wanted to get started... Things I know I need are this...
-Medium format camera (2 probably)
-Serious flash equipment
-Color darkroom equip

With technology being so affordable these days... my questions are...

1) Do wedding photographers (for the most part) still just use film
and developing... or are they using digital technology?
(cameras/expensive printers)

2) Is digital technology near the same quality as print film ?

On a microscopic level, maybe not. But on a pure human-eye level, yes.

3) Of any of you that have done wedding photography, would love to
know how you broke into the field... even if sent via email.

I'm a 35mm novice and I know it's going to be a big expense either
way.
Thank you all for reading and I look forward to some good advice.

Personally, I think doing weddings strictly "for the buck", is not going
to get you very far. I love shooting weddings, they are fast, demand from
you a lot, as a photographer, and challenging.

Every wedding is different in so many ways, though the ceremonial aspects
are similar.

Patrick