cheap 35mm camera for yearbook action shots

Old May 3rd 05, 02:49 PM
Greg

Default cheap 35mm camera for yearbook action shots

I am the yearbook adviser at a school that doesn't have a lot of money.
In the past I have used digital cameras but we don't have enough money
for one that takes decent action shots (blurs). Is there an
inexpensive, 35mm camera available that is easy to use (students taking
pictures)that takes decent action shots? We have decided to go back to
cropping the old fashion way to get more quality from our pictures.

Thanks
Greg

Old May 3rd 05, 04:25 PM
Scott Norwood

In article .com,
Greg wrote:
I am the yearbook adviser at a school that doesn't have a lot of money.
In the past I have used digital cameras but we don't have enough money
for one that takes decent action shots (blurs). Is there an
inexpensive, 35mm camera available that is easy to use (students taking
pictures)that takes decent action shots? We have decided to go back to
cropping the old fashion way to get more quality from our pictures.

How about using disposable cameras? No, the picture quality isn't great,
but it's far better than any cheap digital camera and you won't have to
worry about someone losing or damaging the camera.

Does your school have a photography class? If so, maybe the photography
teacher can recommend something or perhaps he has a stash of cameras for
loan to students who don't have their own.
Old May 3rd 05, 04:38 PM
AnOvercomer 02

(Greg) wrote
Is there an inexpensive, 35mm camera
available that is easy to use (students
taking pictures)that takes decent action
shots?

Here's one that is inexpensive, that will work pretty good for action
shots. You may want to use ISO 400 or faster film.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=371190&is=USA

Cody,

http://www.blueletterbible.org/kjv/Pro/Pro013.html

http://community-2.webtv.net/AnOverc...otographyLinks

Old May 3rd 05, 05:33 PM

Greg wrote:
I am the yearbook adviser at a school that doesn't have a lot of

money.
In the past I have used digital cameras but we don't have enough

money
for one that takes decent action shots (blurs). Is there an
inexpensive, 35mm camera available that is easy to use (students

taking
pictures)that takes decent action shots? We have decided to go back

cropping the old fashion way to get more quality from our pictures.

A good starting point would be a Nikon N75 with a 50mm f/1.8 AF Nikon
lens, about $250 at B&H after rebates. Shoot Kodak Portra 800. The
idea is to get a fast shutter speed (produced by the large aperture and
the high film speed) at low cost (produced by the film option). The
Nikon 50 f/1.8 AF is a lot of bang for the buck. The N75 has enough
features to be useful but is easy to learn. The Kodak Portra 800 has
wider exposer latitude and better resolution than 800 speed consumer
grade films.
You should have the 50mm in any case for lower light / overcast work
but if you think you need more range another $90-$100 will get you a
28mm-80mm or 28mm-100mm Nikon zoom in an N75 kit, after rebates. Get
these from a reputable dealer, eg. local, or B&H / Adorama in NY, to be
sure you are getting the Nikon lenses with the kit.
You could also look for similar combinations of used gear from
www.keh.com, B&H or other reputable sources. In the used market you
could also consider older manual focus cameras ranging from the Nikon
FG on the low end to a Nikon FE-2 on the high end.

Old May 4th 05, 05:47 PM
Peter Irwin

Greg wrote:
I am the yearbook adviser at a school that doesn't have a lot of money.
In the past I have used digital cameras but we don't have enough money
for one that takes decent action shots (blurs). Is there an
inexpensive, 35mm camera available that is easy to use (students taking
pictures)that takes decent action shots? We have decided to go back to
cropping the old fashion way to get more quality from our pictures.

Any SLR or compact rangefinder from the 1970s will work very
well for this purpose. It should take no more than about
half an hour for an experienced person to teach an average
high school student how to use such a camera effectively.

Such cameras are frequently available in good working order
for less than $100.

Peter.

Old May 4th 05, 06:27 PM

Greg wrote:
I am the yearbook adviser at a school that doesn't have a lot of

money.
In the past I have used digital cameras but we don't have enough

money
for one that takes decent action shots (blurs). Is there an
inexpensive, 35mm camera available that is easy to use (students

taking
pictures)that takes decent action shots? We have decided to go back

cropping the old fashion way to get more quality from our pictures.

Thanks
Greg

No. Good cameras with fast lenses are expensive.

Old May 5th 05, 10:06 AM
james

In article .com,
Greg wrote:
I am the yearbook adviser at a school that doesn't have a lot of money.
In the past I have used digital cameras but we don't have enough money
for one that takes decent action shots (blurs). Is there an
inexpensive, 35mm camera available that is easy to use (students taking
pictures)that takes decent action shots? We have decided to go back to
cropping the old fashion way to get more quality from our pictures.

The Pentax K-1000 has "traditionally" been the choice for this type of
request for student work, but it almost seems that *because* it's been
the popular student camera, it has high resale value. But you can find
them, and there are tons of great lenses for the Pentax mount.

Lots of school sports photography has been done with a K-1000. It's
been "THE" camera club camera for a long time.
Old May 5th 05, 03:59 PM
Greg Campbell

james wrote:

In article .com,
Greg wrote:

I am the yearbook adviser at a school that doesn't have a lot of money.

The Pentax K-1000 has "traditionally" been the choice for this type of
request for student work, but it almost seems that *because* it's been
the popular student camera, it has high resale value. But you can find
them, and there are tons of great lenses for the Pentax mount.

Yea, for what they are, they seem WAY overpriced. There must have been
a BIG pro-K1000 article by a fairly famous photographer at some point in
time. There are a slew of manual focus cameras by Canon, Nikon, Pentax,
Minolta, Ricoh, etc. that are all more capable, but cost less.

Since I shoot old Canon bricks, I'll suggest that something like an AE-1
Program or T-70 would be more than capable. Cost with a 50mm f/1.4~1.8
lens should be under/around a hundred bucks. Add a 200 f/4 or 135 f/2.8
for another $90 and you're good to go for sports and yearbook use.

Alternately, get the body and find a fast-ish zoom by a known 3rd party.
For the money, the Vivitar Series1 or Tokina AT-X lenses can be pretty
darned good.

In any event, ignore the uraniumcomittee idiot.

-Greg