Technical & legal background using copyrighted fonts in custom road signs in PowerPoint

Old September 11th 17, 05:47 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Technical & legal background using copyrighted fonts in custom road signs in PowerPoint

In article , Chaya Eve
wrote:

The goal is functionality and compatibility.
* Functionality: Only a road-sign specific font will have it.
* Compatibility: Only the Mac is a problem in compatibility.

no, the problem is you have absolutely no clue what you're doing.

I'd love for one of these Mac people to prove me wrong

they already have.

but the Mac:
* Can't embed the font in PowerPoint, and,
* Can't even read an embedded front in PowerPoint, and,

that's a limitation of powerpoint, not a mac/windows issue.

furthermore, powerpoint is the *wrong* app for this task and the more
you try to contort it the more problems you will have.

what you want to do is very easy and compatible not just with
mac/windows, but ios/android. as usual, you turn the simplest tasks
into a cluster****.

* Doesn't ship with a road-sign font native.

font book shows over *three* *hundred* fonts natively installed on my
mac.

i'm not going to go through each one, but certainly one of them is
suitable.

in the unlikely event there isn't, then it's trivial to add the desired
font, in fact, the very same font you use on windows if you want. not a
big deal at all.
Old September 11th 17, 05:53 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.photo.digital
Chaya Eve

On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 03:27:46 +0000 (UTC), Chaya Eve
wrote:

Rest assured I'm not beholden to any particular font - it just has to be a
font that contains all the symbols used in road signs and which contains
all the legibility issues and narrow widths needed for road signs.

If you know of a better free font that is both on Mac and Windows in
Microsoft Office, then I'm all ears since the project proposal is due
tomorrow.

Based on Mayayana's recent DIN 1451 font suggestion it looks like his
suggestion of Bahnschrift (literally "road font") is a far better free
road-sign font selection than Roadgeek was!

The best free road-sign font choices seem to be the following:
* Good: Roadgeek (USA-standard copy)
http://www.fontspace.com/michael-d-adams/roadgeek-2005
* Better: Gothic (USA standard)
http://www.dafont.com/highway-gothic.font
* Best: Bahnschrift DIN 1451 (German standard)
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...uild-16273-pc/

All are free road-sign specific fonts which can be embedded into Windows
PowerPoint so that the document itself just works on all Windows machines
with MS Office on them (whether or not the user has the latest Windows
version).

So that instantly solves the Windows functionality/compatibility goal.
Now we only have to solve the functionality/compatibility problem for Mac.

Do any Mac experts know of a road-sign font that exists native on the Mac?
Old September 11th 17, 05:59 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.photo.digital
Chaya Eve

On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 12:47:51 -0400, nospam wrote:

font book shows over *three* *hundred* fonts natively installed on my
mac.

I'd love for any Mac user to prove the facts wrong but the simple fact is
that the Mac is less functional (by far) than is Windows for this real
problem set (we don't play games here - we get real work done).

I'd love for one of the Mac experts to prove the statements below wrong.
* The Mac can't embed the font in PowerPoint, and,
* The Mac can't even read an embedded front in PowerPoint, and,
* The Mac doesn't ship with a road-sign font native.

On the other hand, the Windows experts have already proven that:
* Windows can embed any font we choose into the PowerPoint, and,
* Windows can read any PowerPoint with the font already embedded, and,
* Windows (recently) ships with a road-sign font native.

You can have all the temper tantrums you want, but if you can't solve a
real problem with the Mac, then those three hundred fonts are useless for
the purpose of road-sign font compatibility.
Old September 11th 17, 07:02 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2017-09-11 12:53, Chaya Eve wrote:

The best free road-sign font choices seem to be the following:
* Good: Roadgeek (USA-standard copy)
http://www.fontspace.com/michael-d-adams/roadgeek-2005
* Better: Gothic (USA standard)
http://www.dafont.com/highway-gothic.font
* Best: Bahnschrift DIN 1451 (German standard)
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...uild-16273-pc/

All are free road-sign specific fonts which can be embedded into Windows
PowerPoint so that the document itself just works on all Windows machines
with MS Office on them (whether or not the user has the latest Windows
version).

So that instantly solves the Windows functionality/compatibility goal.
Now we only have to solve the functionality/compatibility problem for Mac.

Do you know any professional road sign makers that use MS PowerPoint to
design road signs?

Of course not.

I just installed one of the fonts you link to above (Roadgeek) and it
works fine in various programs on a Mac:

- Adobe Photoshop CS 5. (Thereby by extension any Adobe design s/w)

- Apple Pages
- Apple Numbers
- Apple Keynote
- Apple Preview (Annotate)

I'm pretty certain hundreds of other _properly designed_ Mac apps will
use it perfectly well.

In closing, the issue is improperly designed MICROSOFT apps on the Mac.

Not Mac. Not Apple.

And do the intelligent thing: don't use PowerPoint as a design tool.
And do the intelligent thing: don't show your students to use PowerPoint
as a design tool.

Now, troll, run along.
Old September 11th 17, 07:20 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.photo.digital
Andre G. Isaak

In article ,
Chaya Eve wrote:

On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 10:23:26 -0400, nospam wrote:

A road-sign font is a specific type of font for a specific use.

so what? macs can use any font.

The problem so far is that the Mac is far less capable than Windows in
every way we look when it comes to font usefulness and compatibility.

For example, Mayayana found the DIN 1451 font already in Windows 10:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_1451
"In 2017, Microsoft announced that it would be including in future
Windows versions "Bahnschrift", a digitisation of DIN 1451 as an
OpenType variable font."

I easily found the Microsoft Bahnschrift announcement:
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...g-windows-10-i
nsider-preview-build-16273-pc/

"What's New in Build 16273 For PC
Introducing the Bahnschrift font
Bahnschrift is our own rendition of the DIN font standard.
Apart from being the standard road sign font in Germany and
much of Europe, DIN is frequently used by graphic designers
for its high legibility and clean, hard-working design style."

So every direction we turn, the Mac is less functional and less compatible
than is Windows and PowerPoint alike.
* Windows comes with a standard road-sign font; the Mac does not.

I pointed out already that DIN *is* included with Macs.

Andre

* Windows PPT can embed fonts; the Mac PPT can't.
* Windwos PPT can read a document with embedded fonts; the Mac PPT can't.

We easily met our functionality and compatibility goal with Windows.
So far, compatibility is impossible on the Mac.

If you know of a native Mac road-sign font, then prove that wrong. Please.

--
To email remove 'invalid' & replace 'gm' with well known Google mail service.
Old September 11th 17, 07:22 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

I just installed one of the fonts you link to above (Roadgeek) and it
works fine in various programs on a Mac:

- Adobe Photoshop CS 5. (Thereby by extension any Adobe design s/w)

- Apple Pages
- Apple Numbers
- Apple Keynote
- Apple Preview (Annotate)

I'm pretty certain hundreds of other _properly designed_ Mac apps will
use it perfectly well.

even not so properly designed mac apps will use it perfectly well.

all that's needed is the ability to choose a font (versus the app being
hardcoded to a single font).

In closing, the issue is improperly designed MICROSOFT apps on the Mac.

Not Mac. Not Apple.

And do the intelligent thing: don't use PowerPoint as a design tool.
And do the intelligent thing: don't show your students to use PowerPoint
as a design tool.

Now, troll, run along.

yep to all
Old September 11th 17, 07:33 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.photo.digital
Chaya Eve

On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 14:02:59 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

Do you know any professional road sign makers that use MS PowerPoint to
design road signs?

Of course not.

The best solution is the one Microsoft came up with, which is to ship a
road-sign font with the operating system.

That way it just works no matter what software is chosen for either
platform.

Do any Mac experts know whether Apple ships a road-sign font on the Mac?

Old September 11th 17, 07:47 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

wrote:

Do you know any professional road sign makers that use MS PowerPoint to
design road signs?

Of course not.

The best solution is the one Microsoft came up with, which is to ship a
road-sign font with the operating system.

That way it just works no matter what software is chosen for either
platform.

Do any Mac experts know whether Apple ships a road-sign font on the Mac?

They don't have to. Not any more than they have to ship a font
specifically designed for any endeavour.

Those fonts you linked to earlier are fine on a Mac. (I suppose, I'm
not a road sign expert or aficionado).

The whole point with Mac is any properly designed font will work with
any properly designed program (as my earlier list shows).

MS PowerPoint is not properly designed where fonts are concerned. That
is a Microsoft issue, not a an Apple or Mac issue.

Run along troll. You've exhausted your game here. (And badly).
Old September 11th 17, 07:59 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Default Technical custom road sign fonts in PowerPoint - SOLVED

On 2017-09-08 13:38, Chaya Eve wrote:
Can you help with technical and legal background information on how to use
a True-Type copyrighted font correctly with laypeople and printers?

1. Technical (how do I embed the TT font in PowerPoint 2007?)

In summary, I ask for your advice on two questions.
Q1: How do I embed a TT font into PowerPoint 2007 for others to edit, and,

1. Close all MS Office programs on the Mac.
2. Install the desired font as per custom on the Mac.
3. CLEAR THE MS FONT CACHE FILE BY DELETING IT:

/Users/username/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2008/Proofing Tools
Preferences/Office Font Cache (11)
(or similar). This applies for later versions of Office. ie: I did
the above with Office 2016 - it still uses files from the 2008 cache if
they are there...

Re-open PowerPoint. The desired font that you downloaded (ie:
http://www.fontspace.com/michael-d-adams/roadgeek-2005 )

Is available and works perfectly well.

Of course MS are ape-heads and don't refresh the font list for some
idiotic, only MS knows, reason.