Problems w Irfanview ? It disappears.

Old September 19th 10, 02:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Crash!

Default Problems w Irfanview ? It disappears.

Problems w Irfanview ? It disappears.;
On Sat, 18 Sep 2010, Ofnuts wrote:

On 18/09/2010 10:27, J. Clarke wrote:
On 9/18/2010 2:37 AM, Ofnuts wrote:
On 18/09/2010 07:08, Gordon Freeman wrote:
wrote:
Supposedly this is not Irfanview's fault, it's my
system, so I wonder if anybody else has had it?
I go to Save As, and the Irfanview window disappears.
Gone. All lost. It seems worse after heavy editing,

Since something is causing the Irfanview process to die, you might
consider
the possibility of a hardware problem, especially faulty memory (RAM).

That would cause other software to die...

That's my impression. Also I haven't run any
speedo or tweak programs, everying is Factory in
that regard.

Not necessarily.

In these days of virtual memory, you can't tell in advance on what real
addresses your code and data end up. In this case IrfanView always dies
doing the same thing, and a failing memory would cause crashes more at
random, depending on how the code and data are mapped to real memory.

And if the same failing memory is used by other software I doubt they
will survive for long. Flip one bit in a pointer (or in any address in
your return stack) and you are likely to address something that isn't in
your allocated memory space.

This said, although IrfanView is photo-related, this topic would have
been better suited to one of the comp.* groups.

I hear that.
But my goal really isn't to troubleshoot it here.
I figure Irfan prolly gets a good workout here,
I was wondering if it was an Irfan bug -- so just looking
for a "me too" or not.
For that, -- familiarity with Irfanview, -- me thinks this
group might beat the comp.* groups.
Old September 19th 10, 03:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Crash!

Problems w Irfanview ? It disappears. ;
On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 20:26:24 +1000, N wrote:

"Crash!" wrote in message
om...

Supposedly this is not Irfanview's fault, it's my
system, so I wonder if anybody else has had it?

The way I most often use Irfan is:
I'll paste an image from Clipboard over an Irfanview
image that came from any handy file icon.
I'll edit that image, often cropping, cutting,
pasting, adding text, sharpening and reduce color
depth.

I go to Save As, and the Irfanview window disappears.
Gone. All lost. It seems worse after heavy editing,
and worse in Save As than Save. It might happen
about 1/3 of the time that I save after editing.

Anybody else had that problem?

Thanks!

======================

Have you uninstalled it, rebooted and installed it again?

No, that's next, thanks! I upgraded irfanview without uninsatll.
I'll prolly do that mem test, try to disable some software
that might be conflicting, then....sadly....toss irfanview.
One of my antivirus, Malwarebytse I think, has a check-box
program disabler.
Old September 19th 10, 03:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 14:57:08 -0700, Crash! wrote:
:
: Problems w Irfanview ? It disappears.;
: On Thu, 16 Sep 2010, Ofnuts wrote:
:
:
: On 16/09/2010 21:31, Crash! wrote:
:
: Supposedly this is not Irfanview's fault, it's my
: system, so I wonder if anybody else has had it?
:
: The way I most often use Irfan is:
: I'll paste an image from Clipboard over an Irfanview
: image that came from any handy file icon.
: I'll edit that image, often cropping, cutting,
: pasting, adding text, sharpening and reduce color
: depth.
:
: I go to Save As, and the Irfanview window disappears.
: Gone. All lost. It seems worse after heavy editing,
: and worse in Save As than Save. It might happen
: about 1/3 of the time that I save after editing.
:
:
: Have you tried reinstalling IrfanView, in case some other software
: installation clobbered/downgraded one of its files?
:
: I did upgrade a few levels. I guess I could try
: an uninstal first.
:
: Irfan said he thought it might be shell addon.
: ...like an item in the right-click menu, I guess.
: I have no idea how to troubleshoot shells.

If this is a Windows installation, what, if anything, do the event logs say
about the crash? And is your OS software up to date?

Bob