Digital Point and Shoot Question

Old October 18th 04, 09:23 PM
Art Salmons

Default Digital Point and Shoot Question

My wife wants a digital point and shoot camera and I was wondering
what the current recommendation is from this group. She doesn't want
anything complicated or difficult to use. She would prefer one that
takes AA batteries and Compact Flash memory. I would think a 6X to 10X
optical zoom would work well.

I used to have a Fuji 2800 finepix 6 X optical zoom and I thought it
was OK but was only a 2 Meg camera. She is tired of trying to work
with a SLR and changing lens.

Thanks, Art

I shoot Canon EOS film gear and I just bought a Canon 10D but she
wants something simple to take pictures of the grandkids and when we
travel. I think 8X10 would be the largest size picture she would have
made from her digital prints.

Thanks in advance,
Art
Old October 19th 04, 04:16 AM
Larry R Harrison Jr

Try one of the Canon Powershot A-series cameras. Past models have been the
A70 and A70, current model is (I think) the A75, A85 and A95.

I like Nikons, but I'm with you--I prefer Compact Flash, and all their point
& shoot models are SD-card based now (which I don't care for). The Canons I
mentioned also use AA batteries, although they use 4 of them vs 2. Then
again, I am always hearing great things about their battery life.

LRH

om...

Old October 19th 04, 03:04 PM
Art Salmons

"Larry R Harrison Jr" wrote in message ...

That's surely a high-grade camera. Heck, pros probably even use a camera
like that for backup.

She had my Dad's Nikon F100 and several lens which she never learned
to use. So when she said she wanted a digital she said she wanted a
good one. I'm selling her Nikon gear on Ebay and so the cost will be
taken care of. The big advantage for me is it uses the same cards and
batteries as my Canon D10.

When I looked at 5 to 6 meg Digital cameras this one wasn't that far
out of line on cost. B&H sold it to me for $632. The only short coming
to me is the optical zoom. The camera only goes to 140mm. However, the
camera has a fast and excellent lens according to what I read up here.

I'll also get to use it when I want a quick walk around camera. The
funny thing about my wife is she has had Canon SLR's and then my Dad's
Nikon gear after he passed away and she always has gone back to a
point and shoot camera. She doesn't like having to bother with
changing lens and carrying heavy gear. She likes to take pictures but
likes it hassle free.

That said, I'm worried that she won't actually take the time to learn
how to use this camera correctly. She will probably set it on one of
the automatic settings and just point and click. She also will hand me
the card and I will get to upload her images and then let her select
her keepers. It's a hassle but at least she enjoys being out there
taking pictures when I drag her out on one on my photo adentures.

Art

I decided to get Her a Canon Powershot G6. That way it uses the same
battery and memory cards as the Canon D10 that I have. It gave me a
great excuse to buy extra cards and batteries and it will work out
great for her as well.

Thanks, Art