Flat black spiff-up

Old January 27th 04, 12:52 AM
Lew

Default Flat black spiff-up

I'd like to re-paint the shiny areas of my old Beseler negative carriers.
What kind of paint should I use? The water base, oil base, and/or enamel
flat blacks available in my hardware store all seem to be too glossy.
-Lew

Old January 27th 04, 01:36 AM
Gregory W Blank

In article ,
"Lew" wrote:

I'd like to re-paint the shiny areas of my old Beseler negative carriers.
What kind of paint should I use? The water base, oil base, and/or enamel
flat blacks available in my hardware store all seem to be too glossy.
-Lew

Omega use to have a powder coating room for spraying the flat black paint
however; a good flat black enamel should be perfect. Like "Rustoleum" Brand.
--
LF website http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank
Old January 27th 04, 04:52 AM
David Nebenzahl

On 1/26/2004 3:52 PM Lew spake thus:

I'd like to re-paint the shiny areas of my old Beseler negative carriers.
What kind of paint should I use? The water base, oil base, and/or enamel
flat blacks available in my hardware store all seem to be too glossy.

Try flat black spray paint, which is probably actually lacquer, which is good
stuff. About as flat as you're going to get.

I haven't done this, but it would help the paint adhesion to bake the carrier
after spraying it, say at about 150° (F) in an oven. Does anyone here know (no
speculation, pleeze!) whether this is likely to warp the carrier? I wouldn't
think so, but as I say, I haven't done this.

I do know that this is a good way to get paint to stick on better. Otherwise,
it'll be pretty easy to scrape off.

--
Focus: A very overrated feature.

- From Marcy Merrill's lexicon at Junk Store Cameras
(http://merrillphoto.com/JunkStoreCameras.htm)

Old January 27th 04, 05:03 AM
Lew

I am afraid of the scrape off issue. I'm planning a mild, fine steel wooling
followed by a wipe by a paint thinner dampened cloth. Then paint.
-Lew

Old January 27th 04, 07:46 AM
Richard Knoppow

"Lew" wrote in message ...
I'd like to re-paint the shiny areas of my old Beseler negative carriers.
What kind of paint should I use? The water base, oil base, and/or enamel
flat blacks available in my hardware store all seem to be too glossy.
-Lew

The best paint is Krylon Ultra-Flat-Black. It comes in spray cans.
It is AFAIK, the most absorptive paint on the market. It will take a
reasonable amount of heat. This is the stuff to use in touching up
shiny areas in cameras, etc. For small areas or for use on lens
element edges spray some into a small container and apply it with a
brush.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Old January 27th 04, 04:39 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Lew" wrote

I'd like to re-paint the shiny areas of my old Beseler negative carriers.
What kind of paint should I use? The water base, oil base, and/or enamel
flat blacks available in my hardware store all seem to be too glossy.

One alternative is just to sand the shiny spots. In any case, it is
doubtful that the shiny spots are contributing to fog.

If you need to repaint then I would recommend:

Flat black spray enamel is most likely what the factory used. They are
all about the same and available from autoparts or hardware stores. Water
base and oil base paints are for painting wood, and won't stick to metal.

Use the following steps to paint:

Sand the old paint with fine sandpaper so that it is uniformly sanded
everywhere. The hardware store sells special 'wet' sandpaper for sanding
old paint.

Wipe down with acetone/paint thinner/etc. Some folks wash with dish
detergent and hot water, a spell in the dishwasher works quite well.
Only handle the carrier with gloves or a paper towel from now till
it is painted.

Spray in several thin coats, leaving paint to dry for about 20 minutes
between coats.

And the most important step:

Preheat your kitchen oven to 300F. Place the carrier in the oven for
20 minutes.

Enamel _must_ be baked on.

If you are painting bare metal, follow the above sequence twice, the
first time with an etching metal primer.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Old January 27th 04, 05:03 PM
Jean-David Beyer

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
"Lew" wrote

I'd like to re-paint the shiny areas of my old Beseler negative carriers.
What kind of paint should I use? The water base, oil base, and/or enamel
flat blacks available in my hardware store all seem to be too glossy.

One alternative is just to sand the shiny spots. In any case, it is
doubtful that the shiny spots are contributing to fog.

If you need to repaint then I would recommend:

Flat black spray enamel is most likely what the factory used.

My Beseler ones all appear to be black anodized aluminum.

/V\ Registered Machine 73926.
^^-^^ 11:00am up 20 days, 22:25, 2 users, load average: 2.16, 2.13, 1.97

Old January 27th 04, 05:42 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Jean-David Beyer" wrote

My Beseler ones all appear to be black anodized aluminum.

Mine (45MX) are stamped steel, matte black (not flat black) paint.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Old January 27th 04, 06:23 PM
David Nebenzahl

On 1/27/2004 8:03 AM Jean-David Beyer spake thus:

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
"Lew" wrote

I'd like to re-paint the shiny areas of my old Beseler negative carriers.
What kind of paint should I use? The water base, oil base, and/or enamel
flat blacks available in my hardware store all seem to be too glossy.

One alternative is just to sand the shiny spots. In any case, it is
doubtful that the shiny spots are contributing to fog.

If you need to repaint then I would recommend:

Flat black spray enamel is most likely what the factory used.

My Beseler ones all appear to be black anodized aluminum.

Well, my Beseler 6x9 carrier (#8062) is black anodized, as is my 35mm carrier
(#8053), but the 35mm carrier I just sold (same #) was plain aluminum. Go figure.