6mp vs 2mp in a scrapbook

Old December 21st 04, 11:11 PM
MartinS

"David J Taylor" wrote:
MartinS wrote:
"Terence" wrote:

for a 4x6 print, I would try to stick with 1200x1800, although you
probably won't notice the difference if you went a little lower
than that (within reason).

As far as the file format to use, jpeg is fine, so long as you
don't continually save/re-save i.e. if you do a lot of
post-processing. If you do post process, use any lossless format
(tiff, bmp, etc....), then as a final step you can save as jpg and
bring that to your photo service for printing.

I've found that the Wal-Mart self-serve reader won't take files
larger than ~1MB.

It's probably better to make a JPEG with more pixels, but with more
compression as well, if you are limited in file size. You shouldn't
need a lot of compression to make a 1200 x 1800 picture less than
1MB and still keep good quality. Try it and see.

My (obsolete) HP 318 produces 1200 x 1800 images of 700-900KB at "best
quality" setting. This is equivalent of saving a jpeg at 95% quality
from a graphics editing program. Quality is excellent at 4 x 6 in.

--
Martin S.