{PIC} Playing with Autopano and PTGui

Old March 26th 08, 12:17 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Father McKenzie

Default {PIC} Playing with Autopano and PTGui

Got to the lake just as the sun was setting, this is an 8 picture pano
using Autopano.
I tried it with PTGui but couldn't get the opposite shoreline straight
and PTG was putting a stright line through the rippled down the bottom
below the buoy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverm...12998/sizes/l/

--
Father McKenzie
http://www.flickr.com/photos/silvermoon/
Old March 26th 08, 06:05 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
^Ebony-Temuchin^

Atheist Chaplain wrote:
"Cryptopix" wrote in message
On Mar 26, 9:17 am, Father McKenzie wrote:
Got to the lake just as the sun was setting, this is an 8 picture pano
using Autopano.
I tried it with PTGui but couldn't get the opposite shoreline straight
and PTG was putting a stright line through the rippled down the bottom
below the buoy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverm...12998/sizes/l/

--
Father McKenziehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/silvermoon/

It's rather pointless posting to ever group on the net. All you are
doing is attracting the attention of Chinese spammers. And what on
God's earth made you think you'd get more coverage? Do you want to be
lumped in with those Idiot American's who cross post just to make
trouble or gain attention and instead act as magnets for the chinese
spammers? Just look at how the ruined their own groups. The messages
are being cross posted here. Time to stop this stupid practice before
there's only you and the trolls left, mate.

You have a contribution to make, that for sure. Why not just do it in
Aus Photo where it belongs and avoid getting killfiled for cross
posting to more than 3 groups?

you have piqued my curiosity Douggie, how is crossposting "attracting the
attention of Chinese spammers"
what specifically causes a cross post to attract their attention ??
I would have thought that they just download a list of available news groups
and then set their little script to spam the lot, far cheaper (even at the
average slave labour rates the Chinese pay) than having someone looking for
cross posts and flagging them for "immediate Attention"

Do you realise who you are trying to get logic out of?

I love his "You have a contribution to make, that for sure" did he even
look at the picture? This guy just posts the same HDR crap over and over.
HDR doesn't below in a photography newsgroup. HDR is art not photography

--
"If someone had told me in 1989 that the BBS I started would eventually
become Usenet" - Douglas

http://groups.google.com.au/group/au...b383a7d3a33dc3
Old March 26th 08, 09:26 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Doug Jewell[_3_]

^Ebony-Temuchin^ wrote:

Do you realise who you are trying to get logic out of?

I love his "You have a contribution to make, that for sure" did he even
look at the picture? This guy just posts the same HDR crap over and over.
HDR doesn't below in a photography newsgroup. HDR is art not photography

How do you figure that? HDR is purely and simply a way of
trying to overcome the dynamic range limitations of digital
cameras. It's still photography, it just relies on a little
more post-production than in-camera jpeg. HDR is just the
modern equivalent of dodging and burning in the darkroom.

Old March 26th 08, 10:49 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Mar 26, 9:17 am, Father McKenzie wrote:
Got to the lake just as the sun was setting, this is an 8 picture pano
using Autopano.
I tried it with PTGui but couldn't get the opposite shoreline straight
and PTG was putting a stright line through the rippled down the bottom
below the buoy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverm...12998/sizes/l/

--
Father McKenziehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/silvermoon/

Hey Fr - nice work, although I do think it wants a foreground
element.. maybe a little row-boat..? Don't you keep one in your bag?

I'm about to get into panoramas more over the next 6 months - i can
feel it in my lenses.. And I really want to get the hang of them
'stepped out' ones, just like the great man has demonstrated... (O:

In PTGui, did you find the straightening thingies, (I think they are
"T" control points..)? They have worked for me when things got a
little bent, but it took me a while to work out how to use them. (Now
that I know how to use them, I must have been pretty thick..)

Old March 26th 08, 11:53 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Cryptopix

On Mar 26, 6:26 pm, Doug Jewell wrote:
^Ebony-Temuchin^ wrote:
Do you realise who you are trying to get logic out of?

I love his "You have a contribution to make, that for sure" did he even
look at the picture? This guy just posts the same HDR crap over and over.
HDR doesn't below in a photography newsgroup. HDR is art not photography

How do you figure that? HDR is purely and simply a way of
trying to overcome the dynamic range limitations of digital
cameras. It's still photography, it just relies on a little
more post-production than in-camera jpeg. HDR is just the
modern equivalent of dodging and burning in the darkroom.

HDR in a seascape is piece of cake. Just shoot the skyline and below
as two different exposures (or develop one frame two ways) and blend
them together). No trickery that hasn't been done to death in a
darkroom. I did this with Cibachrome in the "good old days". Now if I
do it with a computer program it's all of a sudden some sort of black
magic? I don't think so.
Old March 26th 08, 04:15 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ray

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 10:17:56 +1100, Father McKenzie wrote:

Got to the lake just as the sun was setting, this is an 8 picture pano
using Autopano.
I tried it with PTGui but couldn't get the opposite shoreline straight
and PTG was putting a stright line through the rippled down the bottom
below the buoy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverm...12998/sizes/l/

FWIW - I have found that the pandora plug-in for GIMP does a pretty good,
automated job on panoramas.
Old March 26th 08, 06:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Brendan Gillatt[_2_]

Old March 27th 08, 05:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Ferguson

ray wrote:
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 10:17:56 +1100, Father McKenzie wrote:

Got to the lake just as the sun was setting, this is an 8 picture pano
using Autopano.
I tried it with PTGui but couldn't get the opposite shoreline straight
and PTG was putting a stright line through the rippled down the bottom
below the buoy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverm...12998/sizes/l/

FWIW - I have found that the pandora plug-in for GIMP does a pretty good,
automated job on panoramas.

Works well with hugin too.
Old March 27th 08, 07:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ray

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 09:28:54 -0700, John Ferguson wrote:

ray wrote:
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 10:17:56 +1100, Father McKenzie wrote:

Got to the lake just as the sun was setting, this is an 8 picture pano
using Autopano.
I tried it with PTGui but couldn't get the opposite shoreline straight
and PTG was putting a stright line through the rippled down the bottom
below the buoy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverm...12998/sizes/l/

FWIW - I have found that the pandora plug-in for GIMP does a pretty
good, automated job on panoramas.

Works well with hugin too.

Yes, but I find pandora much simpler.
Old March 28th 08, 11:21 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
bugbear

ray wrote:
FWIW - I have found that the pandora plug-in for GIMP does a pretty
good, automated job on panoramas.

Works well with hugin too.

Yes, but I find pandora much simpler.

The extra control in Hugin comes in handy when you're pushing
the envelope.

BugBear