Canon FT lens

Old January 20th 08, 03:05 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Default Canon FT lens

Hi all

Are Canon FT (I think that's the correct initials) series lenses
usable w/ 35mm (film) Canon Rebel cameras?

Thanks, Drew
Old January 20th 08, 04:16 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ken Hart[_3_]

wrote in message

Hi all

Are Canon FT (I think that's the correct initials) series lenses
usable w/ 35mm (film) Canon Rebel cameras?

Thanks, Drew

In two words, no, sorry. The Rebel uses the EF mount lens. For info and
specs on every Canon camera, go to the camera museum at www.canon.com .

The Canon FT used the Canon FL mount lens. It has the breech lock bayonet
collar that rotates to lock the lens to the camera. It also has a single pin
at the inside bottom of the lens for aperature stopdown. The later FTb used
the Canon FD mount lenses. These lenses originally had the breech lock
collar, but later models, in an effort to make them quicker to mount,
bayonetted onto the camera body (the collar was no longer a separate ring,
but a fixed part of the lens body). The FD mount had two pins on the back,
one at the bottom like the FL, and a second pin at the 9 o'clock position to
'telegraph' the f/stop to the camera body.

If you (or anyone else) is interested in a Canon EF mount 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6
zoom lens at a good price, please email me offlist ( ).

Old January 20th 08, 04:25 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Jim

wrote in message

Hi all

Are Canon FT (I think that's the correct initials) series lenses
usable w/ 35mm (film) Canon Rebel cameras?

Thanks, Drew

You mean either an FL or FD mount lens. There is or was an adapter made by
Canon. I haven't seen these things mentioned for some time, but that
certainly does not mean that they are no longer available.

Jim

Old February 7th 08, 05:23 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Jan 19, 7:25 pm, "Jim" wrote:
wrote in message

Hi all

Are Canon FT (I think that's the correct initials) series lenses
usable w/ 35mm (film) Canon Rebel cameras?

Thanks, Drew

You mean either an FL or FD mount lens. There is or was an adapter made by
Canon. I haven't seen these things mentioned for some time, but that
certainly does not mean that they are no longer available.

Jim

Hi all

Thanks for the answer.

Drew
Old February 7th 08, 07:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ken Hart[_3_]

wrote in message
On Jan 19, 7:25 pm, "Jim" wrote:
wrote in message

Hi all

Are Canon FT (I think that's the correct initials) series lenses
usable w/ 35mm (film) Canon Rebel cameras?

Thanks, Drew

You mean either an FL or FD mount lens. There is or was an adapter made
by
Canon. I haven't seen these things mentioned for some time, but that
certainly does not mean that they are no longer available.

Jim

Hi all

Thanks for the answer.

Drew

To expand, The FL mount is a breech-lock bayonet. The early FD lenses were
the same breech-lock bayonet, later FD lens were bayonet only; the
breechlock ring was made a part of the lens body. This allowed a slightly
easier mounting operation. The FL lenses have a single pin on the back to
stop down the lens at firing. The FD lenses have a second pin that tells the
camera what f/stop has been selected, so it can be used on a through the
lens metering camera without stpping down, The last camer to use the FL
mount was (IIRC) the FTql, not to be confused with the later FTb which used
FD mount.
FD mount lenses can be used on an FL mount camera; the second pin is
ignored. FL mount lens can be used on an FD mount camera, but you must stop
down to meter,
I think the Rebel uses EOS mount lenses. I've seen adaptors on eBay.
For further info on Canon cameras and lenses, check the museum at Canon.com