Panorama software (Which do you use)

Old January 3rd 08, 10:55 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,alt.photography
Father McKenzie

Default Panorama software (Which do you use)

Recently started using PTGui and have been very impressed with the results.
Taking lake/beach panorama's I have found photoshop CS3 doesn't stitch
at all especially when it comes to water movement and waves. It does the
dark WE CAN'T JOIN HERE line. Autopano seems to curve the horizon and
won't let you level it out.
After a couple of tests with PTGui it seems to be more manual than
Autopano. Seems to blend a lot better and doesn't leave the photo
looking flat.

About to get the latest Autopano pro (1.4?)which they say doesn't cut
things in half if it is a moving object, will see how it goes.
Old January 3rd 08, 11:05 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm, aus.photo, alt.photography
[email protected]

On Jan 4, 8:55 am, Father McKenzie wrote:
Recently started using PTGui and have been very impressed with the results.
Taking lake/beach panorama's I have found photoshop CS3 doesn't stitch
at all especially when it comes to water movement and waves. It does the
dark WE CAN'T JOIN HERE line. Autopano seems to curve the horizon and
won't let you level it out.
After a couple of tests with PTGui it seems to be more manual than
Autopano. Seems to blend a lot better and doesn't leave the photo
looking flat.

About to get the latest Autopano pro (1.4?)which they say doesn't cut
things in half if it is a moving object, will see how it goes.

I also use PTGUI and am very impressed, even though I haven't yet
added Enblend/Smartblend (which does the not-cut-in-half thing).

It's ability to automatically straighten, handle very large images and
its excellent exposure/color blending won me over from the pain and
suffering I was getting from other pano programs..

Old January 3rd 08, 11:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm, aus.photo, alt.photography
PixelPix

On Jan 4, 9:05*am, wrote:
On Jan 4, 8:55 am, Father McKenzie wrote:

Recently started using PTGui and have been very impressed with the results.
Taking lake/beach panorama's I have found photoshop CS3 doesn't stitch
at all especially when it comes to water movement and waves. It does the
dark WE CAN'T JOIN HERE line. *Autopano seems to curve the horizon and
won't let you level it out.
After a couple of tests with PTGui it seems to be more manual than
Autopano. Seems to blend a lot better and doesn't leave the photo
looking flat.

About to get the latest Autopano pro (1.4?)which they say doesn't cut
things in half if it is a moving object, will see how it goes.

I also use PTGUI and am very impressed, even though I haven't yet
added Enblend/Smartblend (which does the not-cut-in-half thing).

You gotta get them Mark. ;-)
Old January 3rd 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,alt.photography
Father McKenzie

wrote:
[...]

One of the things that impressed me with PTG is how quick it saves an
image over autopano (not sure if it has changed in the latest one).
PTG saves a huge image in around 10 seconds where AP can take several
minutes to render it to a save location
Old January 3rd 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,alt.photography
\(not quite so\) Fat Sam

Father McKenzie wrote:
Recently started using PTGui and have been very impressed with the
results. Taking lake/beach panorama's I have found photoshop CS3
doesn't stitch at all especially when it comes to water movement and
waves. It does
the dark WE CAN'T JOIN HERE line. Autopano seems to curve the
horizon and won't let you level it out.
After a couple of tests with PTGui it seems to be more manual than
Autopano. Seems to blend a lot better and doesn't leave the photo
looking flat.

About to get the latest Autopano pro (1.4?)which they say doesn't cut
things in half if it is a moving object, will see how it goes.

I've only ever managed to get one decent stitch job out of Photoshops
photomerge tool.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swampy_...ter/1909329806

I've had far better, and more satisfactory results from manually merging and
stitching the images together. It takes time, but I prefer the results
because I have more control over them.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swampy_...ter/1233966661

I'm going to have a look into the other applications you mentioned, as I'm
really not satisfied with how photoshop attempts to auto-stitch composite
images.

Old January 3rd 08, 11:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm, aus.photo, alt.photography
Scott W

On Jan 3, 1:12*pm, PixelPix wrote:
On Jan 4, 9:05*am, wrote:

On Jan 4, 8:55 am, Father McKenzie wrote:

Recently started using PTGui and have been very impressed with the results.
Taking lake/beach panorama's I have found photoshop CS3 doesn't stitch
at all especially when it comes to water movement and waves. It does the
dark WE CAN'T JOIN HERE line. *Autopano seems to curve the horizon and
won't let you level it out.
After a couple of tests with PTGui it seems to be more manual than
Autopano. Seems to blend a lot better and doesn't leave the photo
looking flat.

About to get the latest Autopano pro (1.4?)which they say doesn't cut
things in half if it is a moving object, will see how it goes.

I also use PTGUI and am very impressed, even though I haven't yet
added Enblend/Smartblend (which does the not-cut-in-half thing).

You gotta get them Mark. ;-)

I agree, Smartblend is a must have plugin, Endblend does not see to
work as well.

Scott
Old January 4th 08, 01:19 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,alt.photography
AxisOfBeagles

I agree regarding the PS stitch tool - it sucks. I have more success
using the tool provided with Canon s/w. One would think that Adobe
would get it right.

Old January 4th 08, 01:36 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,alt.photography
ray

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 09:55:54 +1100, Father McKenzie wrote:

Recently started using PTGui and have been very impressed with the results.
Taking lake/beach panorama's I have found photoshop CS3 doesn't stitch
at all especially when it comes to water movement and waves. It does the
dark WE CAN'T JOIN HERE line. Autopano seems to curve the horizon and
won't let you level it out.
After a couple of tests with PTGui it seems to be more manual than
Autopano. Seems to blend a lot better and doesn't leave the photo
looking flat.

About to get the latest Autopano pro (1.4?)which they say doesn't cut
things in half if it is a moving object, will see how it goes.

I have used panotools in the past - hugin and enblend and all that. I have
found that the pandora plugin in GIMP is much faster and generally does
all I need or want. It's main limitation is that it will only take one
series of shots from left to right - i.e. won't handle a matrix of photos
and must be properly ordered.

Old January 4th 08, 01:46 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
D-Mac[_4_]

"Father McKenzie" wrote in message
Recently started using PTGui and have been very impressed with the
results.
Taking lake/beach panorama's I have found photoshop CS3 doesn't stitch at
all especially when it comes to water movement and waves. It does the dark
WE CAN'T JOIN HERE line. Autopano seems to curve the horizon and won't
let you level it out.
After a couple of tests with PTGui it seems to be more manual than
Autopano. Seems to blend a lot better and doesn't leave the photo looking
flat.

About to get the latest Autopano pro (1.4?)which they say doesn't cut
things in half if it is a moving object, will see how it goes.

There are two versions of PTGUI. The "Pro" version is in My opinion, the
only one worth having.

Having said that... I use Corel PhotoPaint to manually assemble my complex
panoramas. Many of which are opportunistic in that I didn't take a tripod or
pano head with me and later decided the photos needed to be destined for big
prints. Photo Paint gives me much more control in fixing errors like wave
mismatches that no automatic program can ever hope to do.

Here are some examples of a simple and 2 complex panoramas I assembled by
hand using Corel Photo Paint which is way easier to use for this task than
Photoshop.

Parts from the bottom example have been posted and commented on before. The
only person in these groups who has actually seen a print of it is Colin D
from New Zealand whom I sent a print of the right hand portion. About 3 feet
wide as I recall.

I guess the trolls dogging my every post and accusing everyone from the Dali
Lama to the drover's dog of being me will take this opportunity to rag me
again. with taunts "Bull**** it can't be done" and "Oh look, I found an
artefact".

The difference between them and me is that I do it for a living, they just
dream about doing it.

So father...
By all means use Ptgui. It's a toy program good enough for many people. Keep
in mind that if you can't fix the nodal point of the lens or you shoot
moving objects (waves, birds, cars etc) as part of a pano, you won't get
much joy from any automated program.

Serious stuff needs rolled up sleeves and requires you to get down and dirty
with a program you can add bits and pieces of images sometimes not related
to the finished work ...when you get serious about it. I also use a GWS Fuji
panorama camera when I can be bothered with film!

Douglas