Nikon announces Auto Sensor Cleaner for 2007

Old August 27th 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

Default Nikon announces Auto Sensor Cleaner for 2007

"Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote in message
These technological advancements in dSLR design are amazing! I never
thought I'd live to see the day that Nikon would incorporate
sensor-cleaning
technology in their dSLRs. I'm not convinced that I even need this since
clean my sensors the old fashioned way. I'm starting to think this auto
sensor cleaning is all marketing hype.

Press announcement found on the web:

http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2006/sensor.htm

Rita

Of course to answer your question you can only do that for yourself, just
how much of a problem has it been for you? Some cameras are worse than
others of course, apparently Olypus cameras are really bad without the
cleaner, my Pentax has never had a problem that could not be fixed with a
Hurricane Bulb. YMMV compared to me and others.

Old August 27th 06, 03:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
JohnR66

"Pete D" wrote in message

"Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote in message
These technological advancements in dSLR design are amazing! I never
thought I'd live to see the day that Nikon would incorporate
sensor-cleaning
technology in their dSLRs. I'm not convinced that I even need this since
clean my sensors the old fashioned way. I'm starting to think this auto
sensor cleaning is all marketing hype.

Press announcement found on the web:

http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2006/sensor.htm

Rita

Of course to answer your question you can only do that for yourself, just
how much of a problem has it been for you? Some cameras are worse than
others of course, apparently Olypus cameras are really bad without the
cleaner, my Pentax has never had a problem that could not be fixed with a
Hurricane Bulb. YMMV compared to me and others.

One angle of the dust problem I never considered before is "dust" from the
camera itself. Canon stated in their press release about the new Rebel, is
they at the materials used in the mirror box and re-engineered them to
produce less debris. I suppose this would be shutter blade coatings, non
reflective black finishes on the side of the mirror box and perhaps, the
mirror dampening foam.
John

Old August 27th 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alfred Molon

In article 44f0e5c8$0$10810$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
01.iinet.net.au, Pete D says...

apparently Olypus cameras are really bad without the
cleaner,

And that statement is based on what ? (considering that there are no
Olympus DSLRs without a cleaner)
--

Alfred Molon
Old August 27th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

Pete D wrote:
"Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote in message
These technological advancements in dSLR design are amazing! I never
thought I'd live to see the day that Nikon would incorporate
sensor-cleaning
technology in their dSLRs. I'm not convinced that I even need this since
clean my sensors the old fashioned way. I'm starting to think this auto
sensor cleaning is all marketing hype.

Press announcement found on the web:

http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2006/sensor.htm

Rita

Of course to answer your question you can only do that for yourself, just
how much of a problem has it been for you? Some cameras are worse than
others of course, apparently Olypus cameras are really bad without the
cleaner

How do you disengage the cleaner in the Olympus cameras?

Old August 27th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Ellwood

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 11:26:53 -0700, RichA wrote:

Pete D wrote:
"Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote in message
These technological advancements in dSLR design are amazing! I never
thought I'd live to see the day that Nikon would incorporate
sensor-cleaning
technology in their dSLRs. I'm not convinced that I even need this since
clean my sensors the old fashioned way. I'm starting to think this auto
sensor cleaning is all marketing hype.

Press announcement found on the web:

http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2006/sensor.htm

Rita

Of course to answer your question you can only do that for yourself, just
how much of a problem has it been for you? Some cameras are worse than
others of course, apparently Olypus cameras are really bad without the
cleaner

How do you disengage the cleaner in the Olympus cameras?

Give him the sack :-)
Sorry.
--
Neil
Delete l to reply

Old August 28th 06, 07:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alfred Molon

In article 44f2055a$0$10802$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
01.iinet.net.au, Pete D says...
Surely you have seen the Oly ads with pictures showing how bad it is?

How bad is what?
--

Alfred Molon
Old August 28th 06, 08:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
In article 44f2055a$0$10802$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
01.iinet.net.au, Pete D says...
Surely you have seen the Oly ads with pictures showing how bad it is?

How bad is what?
--

The dust man, the dust. Why else would they need the system?

Old August 29th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ian

"Pete D" wrote in message

"Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote in message
These technological advancements in dSLR design are amazing! I never
thought I'd live to see the day that Nikon would incorporate
sensor-cleaning
technology in their dSLRs. I'm not convinced that I even need this since
clean my sensors the old fashioned way. I'm starting to think this auto
sensor cleaning is all marketing hype.

Press announcement found on the web:

http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2006/sensor.htm

Rita

Of course to answer your question you can only do that for yourself, just
how much of a problem has it been for you? Some cameras are worse than
others of course, apparently Olypus cameras are really bad without the
cleaner, my Pentax has never had a problem that could not be fixed with a
Hurricane Bulb. YMMV compared to me and others.

Damage to the sensor is said to be catastrophic and should only be carried
out by qualified service personnel. After a year or so of it being an issue
on newsgroups kits started coming out. I've decided to leave well enough
alone. After all unless you shoot alot of night time stuff the shutter only
pulls back and reveals the shutter for fractions of a second. Even then
that will be with a lens on the front.

Old August 30th 06, 01:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Thomas T. Veldhouse

In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems ian wrote:

Damage to the sensor is said to be catastrophic and should only be carried
out by qualified service personnel. After a year or so of it being an issue
on newsgroups kits started coming out. I've decided to leave well enough
alone. After all unless you shoot alot of night time stuff the shutter only
pulls back and reveals the shutter for fractions of a second. Even then
that will be with a lens on the front.

I love it ... damage to the sensor should only be carried out by qualified
service personnel. :-)

Really though, dust is an issue and depending upon how it gets on the sensor,
it can be hard to clean [i.e. smoke dust can "stick"]. If you shoot any shots
with the lens stopped down, the results of a dirty sensor will become
immediately apparent. I am not a fan of using the healing brush to fix issues
like this.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse