any spyder 2 users out there?

Old April 13th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default any spyder 2 users out there?

just ordered one from www.warehouse.express.com and they are out. what else
would you lot suggest?

Old April 13th 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

ian lincoln wrote:
just ordered one from www.warehouse.express.com and they are out. what else
would you lot suggest?

Get a Spyder 2 from B&H Photo (http://www.bhphoto.com). I use it and I like
it.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old April 13th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote in message
t...

Get a Spyder 2 from B&H Photo (http://www.bhphoto.com). I use it and I
like
it.

I've got one and like it too - but it's obsolete. It's been replaced with
one that's better and 1/2 the price.

Old April 14th 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Pete Mitchell wrote:

I've got one and like it too - but it's obsolete. It's been replaced with
one that's better and 1/2 the price.

What is it's replacement? The Spyder 2 is their latest product line and I am
not aware of a new replacement product.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old April 14th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Pete Mitchell wrote:

I've got one and like it too - but it's obsolete. It's been replaced with
one that's better and 1/2 the price.

What is it's replacement? The Spyder 2 is their latest product line and I
am
not aware of a new replacement product.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

So was it any good? also i chose the one with the printfix suite to
calibrate my printer too. This is software based and i think you simply
choose the patch that is correct.

There was one that uses the scanner. might have been profiler plus. there
are also £400+ ones that come with the spyder AND a printer colorimeter. On
the photo i uk forum there are mixed feelings about all of them. I mostly
want to get my monitor done as i have found a uk site that let you download
their printer profile and print a completely straight print, no interference
at all. It is extremely cheap. £1 per a3 print. minimum order £5. The
downside is that if you don't do everything absolutely perfectly you will
get an unsatisfactory print back cos they do absolutely nothing, no colour
management, cropping, alignment, brightness contrast etc. So not for the
faint hearted. If i got on with this then learning colour managment and
buying the hardware would be cheaper than buying a £500 a3+ multiink
printer.

Old April 15th 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote in message
t...

What is it's replacement? The Spyder 2 is their latest product line and I
am
not aware of a new replacement product.

Take a look at "What's new" at www.colourmanagement.co.nz ...

the excerpted bit is ... (price is NZ dollars - I paid over $600 for my
spyder II pro studio setup)

Pantone release new "huey" monitor optimiser - for under $250
Pantone also had a big announcement over the summer - they have dropped the
ColorVision Spyder products and have joined forces with GretagMacbeth to
create the "huey".

Huey is an entry-level monitor optimiser that brings monitor profiling
within reach of everyone - from amateur photographers to gamers; although I
think an Eye-One Display 2 or an Optix Pro would be better suited for
serious amateurs and professionals.

The huey is a pen-sized monitor optimiser that is easy to install, easy to
use, and creates a monitor profile in less than three minutes. It also has
the ability to remain hooked up to the computer, automatically adjusting for
ambient light levels in the room.

Old June 10th 06, 07:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

First of all, those colourmanagement.co.nz prices are quite high.
Spyder2Pro's MSRP direct from ColorVision is only $299.00 USD (roughly
$470 NZD at current exg rates) and $259.00 USD street price. ($409 NZD).

And let us not forget that the ablve is for the PRO version. There are
the Express and Suite versions starting at $69.00 USD ($109 NZD).

And where are the reviews of this device? Most of what you state below
appears to come directly from the colourmanagement.co.nz site. Where are
the folks who have used this device and are recommending it?

I'm actually in the market for one of these so I am seriously asking.

Old June 10th 06, 01:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

The full spyder 2 suite i bought was mrely the express with a software only
profile maker for a printer. I would therefore recommend you go for the
cheaper express suite. You get the same calibration device but simply less
bundled software.

Old June 12th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

I have the earlier Spyder Pro. I have found it very useful. It does a good
job of setting the monitor up to an objective standard, so that you have
some transparency in the color management process. You will still find that
there are some differences between your prints and what you see on your
monitor (depending on the printer and its profile), but at least you will
know that what you are seeing on your screen is set to a known standard. The
further step is to then calibrate your printer based on an external
colorimeter, but this gets expensive.

Toby