Can Nikon DX lenses be used on 35mm bodies?

Old July 10th 04, 08:26 PM
Paul Crowder

Default Can Nikon DX lenses be used on 35mm bodies?

I've finally decided to make the plunge: I'm selling my Nikon FM3a setup for
a Nikon D70. I'd still like the option to shoot 35mm, though, especially
since a digital backup body (financially) isn't an option for me. So I was
wondering if the DX lenses I buy for the D70 would work on Nikon's 35mm
bodies? More than likely I'd be going with an N80 or N90s for my 35mm body.

Paul

Old July 10th 04, 08:36 PM
Mike Brodbelt

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 19:26:57 +0000, Paul Crowder wrote:

I've finally decided to make the plunge: I'm selling my Nikon FM3a setup
for a Nikon D70. I'd still like the option to shoot 35mm, though,
especially since a digital backup body (financially) isn't an option for
me. So I was wondering if the DX lenses I buy for the D70 would work on
Nikon's 35mm bodies? More than likely I'd be going with an N80 or N90s
for my 35mm body.

As I understand it no, they can't. The DX lenses have an image circle
sized for an APS size sensor - substantially smaller than a 35mm frame. It
might be possible to mount the lenses, but they would not expose the
entirety of the 35mm frame.

Mike.
Old July 10th 04, 09:55 PM

Mike Brodbelt wrote:
: On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 19:26:57 +0000, Paul Crowder wrote:

: I've finally decided to make the plunge: I'm selling my Nikon FM3a setup
: for a Nikon D70. I'd still like the option to shoot 35mm, though,
: especially since a digital backup body (financially) isn't an option for
: me. So I was wondering if the DX lenses I buy for the D70 would work on
: Nikon's 35mm bodies? More than likely I'd be going with an N80 or N90s
: for my 35mm body.

: As I understand it no, they can't. The DX lenses have an image circle
: sized for an APS size sensor - substantially smaller than a 35mm frame. It
: might be possible to mount the lenses, but they would not expose the
: entirety of the 35mm frame.

: Mike.

It really depends on the lens. For example, the 12-24mm DX lens will mount
on a film body and will cover the full frame when zoomed to something
like 18mm (I can't remember the exact focal length). So, for that lens,
the covering power does increase with focal length, but I am not sure that
is the case with all the DX lenses.

Ray

--
E. Ray Lemar

Old July 11th 04, 12:26 AM
Apteryx

wrote in message
Mike Brodbelt wrote:
[...]

It's a while since I tried it, but I seem to recall that the 18-70mm DX
covered the full frame on my film SLR at around 50mm, but not if zoomed
in either direction. Certainly at the wide end there was severe
vignetting (with the exposed part down to simply a circle which reached
the top of the frame only at the midpoint, as with a 180 degree fisheye
lens).

--
Apteryx
Treat anger like gold. Spend it wisely or not at all.

Old July 11th 04, 01:32 PM
Scott Schuckert

In article , Paul
Crowder wrote:

So I was
wondering if the DX lenses I buy for the D70 would work on Nikon's 35mm
bodies?

Pffftt! Easy answer - No.
Old July 11th 04, 09:32 PM
john

"Paul Crowder" wrote in message
.com...
I've finally decided to make the plunge: I'm selling my Nikon FM3a setup

for
a Nikon D70. I'd still like the option to shoot 35mm, though, especially
since a digital backup body (financially) isn't an option for me. So I was
wondering if the DX lenses I buy for the D70 would work on Nikon's 35mm
bodies? More than likely I'd be going with an N80 or N90s for my 35mm

body.

As someone who just tried it right now after reading your message... no.

(Tried with an F60 and an old FM).