Nikon Coolpix 5700 Digital Camera 5.0MP - Question

Old December 30th 04, 09:42 PM
Matalog

Default Nikon Coolpix 5700 Digital Camera 5.0MP - Question

I was looking on ebay at this camera and it seems very fitting to what I am
looking for. But the auction sasys this :-

"The 5.0 effective megapixel CCD captures images with multiple image quality
settings at a maximum resolution of 2,560 x 1,920 pixels, which is capable
of producing 16 x 20- inch prints and larger with outstanding quality".

Would this be true for this camera? If not, what printsize do you think I
could get from this camera at maximum res?

Thanks for any replies.

Old December 30th 04, 10:10 PM
Ben Thomas

Matalog wrote:
I was looking on ebay at this camera and it seems very fitting to what I am
looking for. But the auction sasys this :-

"The 5.0 effective megapixel CCD captures images with multiple image quality
settings at a maximum resolution of 2,560 x 1,920 pixels, which is capable
of producing 16 x 20- inch prints and larger with outstanding quality".

That last part is subjective. An image printed at that size would only be
128dpi, which based on numbers alone, probably isn't enough for a 20x16 print
unless viewed from 5 or more metres away, in my opinion.

Would this be true for this camera? If not, what printsize do you think I
could get from this camera at maximum res?

I've got very nice 150dpi 15x10s from my 4 megapixel camera. They look as sharp
at about 2 metres as a 300dpi 6x4 looks handheld.

My Digital World:
Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

Disclaimer:
given nor endorsed by it.
Old December 30th 04, 10:25 PM
paul

Matalog wrote:

I was looking on ebay at this camera and it seems very fitting to what I am
looking for. But the auction sasys this :-

"The 5.0 effective megapixel CCD captures images with multiple image quality
settings at a maximum resolution of 2,560 x 1,920 pixels, which is capable
of producing 16 x 20- inch prints and larger with outstanding quality".

Would this be true for this camera? If not, what printsize do you think I
could get from this camera at maximum res?

That'd be 128dpi which is not very good, just barely passsable but
probably acceptable if you aren't at all picky. 200dpi is very good,
more than 300 dpi is not usable. Hint: dpi is Dots Per Inch. That would
make about a 13 inch print at 200dpi.

Old December 30th 04, 10:37 PM
Matalog

"paul" wrote in message
Matalog wrote:

I was looking on ebay at this camera and it seems very fitting to what I

am
looking for. But the auction sasys this :-

"The 5.0 effective megapixel CCD captures images with multiple image

quality
settings at a maximum resolution of 2,560 x 1,920 pixels, which is

capable
of producing 16 x 20- inch prints and larger with outstanding quality".

Would this be true for this camera? If not, what printsize do you think

could get from this camera at maximum res?

That'd be 128dpi which is not very good, just barely passsable but
probably acceptable if you aren't at all picky. 200dpi is very good,
more than 300 dpi is not usable. Hint: dpi is Dots Per Inch. That would
make about a 13 inch print at 200dpi.

13 x 16 or 13 x 9 or 10?

Old December 30th 04, 11:12 PM
All Things Mopar

Matalog commented courteously ...

That'd be 128dpi which is not very good, just barely
passsable but probably acceptable if you aren't at all
picky. 200dpi is very good, more than 300 dpi is not
usable.

Part of visual quality is the subject matter. For example,
scenics or soft portraits can be printed larger,
particularly if you soften them a little first. But,
images with sharpness and detail - for example, my hobby
is car pictures - demand more PPI.

13 x 16 or 13 x 9 or 10?

I have an HP 1220C wide-bed ink jet. Even at 1280 x 960, I
can get reasonable 13" x 19" prints on glossy paper *if*
I'm willing to stand back and view from 3 to 5 feet.
That's only 67 PPI!

Note that I said "reasonable", not "great". If your plan
is to go to a custom lab and pay some bucks for your big
prints, then I'd agree that 200 PPI is dead minimum,
preferably 300.

But remember, it's not just raw mega pixels (which
translate to PPI which translates to DPI) that matters,
its the lens and the camera's electronics that go into
whether the mega pixels (no matter how many there are)
actually carry real image information. And then, people
have been known to blow an otherwise good image by
overcompressing if they save in JPEG rather than TIFF...

FWIW, I have a Nikon 5700, and find it a little soft. I
use Paint Shop Pro's Unsharp Mask at a mild setting on all
of my pictures, even to view them. But, I need to be
careful of too much artificial sharpening, else, I'll
start to see jaggies on the near-horizontal or near-
vertical lines in my car pictures.

That's my take, your mileage may vary ...

--
ATM, aka Jerry Rivers

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm!" -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately
explained by stupidity!" - Hanlon's Razor

Delete the reverse SPAM to reply by E-mail
Old December 31st 04, 12:40 AM
George E. Cawthon

Matalog wrote:
I was looking on ebay at this camera and it seems very fitting to what I am
looking for. But the auction sasys this :-

"The 5.0 effective megapixel CCD captures images with multiple image quality
settings at a maximum resolution of 2,560 x 1,920 pixels, which is capable
of producing 16 x 20- inch prints and larger with outstanding quality".

Would this be true for this camera? If not, what printsize do you think I
could get from this camera at maximum res?

Thanks for any replies.

Good 8x 10s, some possibly excellent 8 x10s, possibly a few
good 11 x 14s.