Digital Camera Question

Old October 26th 04, 08:54 PM
Art Salmons

Default Digital Camera Question

I just bought a Canon D10 and I was wondering if I would eventually
need to get a backup digital body. I've always had two bodies for film
but the digital solves most of the reasons for having two. The main
reasons I carried two with film was to shoot two different film types
or film speeds. The second reason still valid is to have two different
lens set up and ready to go without having to stop. This was usually
at a fixed location like a grandkids party, social function like
wedding of friend, etc. When I went on field trips the second body
stayed in the bag. The last reason still valid is for the times when
an equipment failure occurs. In all my years of shooting this only
happen once when the battery went dead and since then I always carry
spare batteries for the flash and camera.

The question is a digital backup body or more lens. I'm leaning
towards the latter and carrying a film body for backup. What are the
thoughts of this group? I am not a pro making money from photography
but just a serious amateur.

Last question

I bought the Canon 550 EX flash and I also have a 540 EX for my Canon
1N. Does the 540 EX not work on the D10 or just not give full
functionality. I could shoot some pictures to find out but I thought I
would just ask.

Thanks, Art
Old October 26th 04, 09:29 PM
Jim

"Art Salmons" wrote in message
om...

Last question

I bought the Canon 550 EX flash and I also have a 540 EX for my Canon
1N. Does the 540 EX not work on the D10 or just not give full
functionality. I could shoot some pictures to find out but I thought I
would just ask.

What does the camera manual say about compatibility with the 550EX?
Jim

Old October 27th 04, 12:42 AM
Joseph Meehan

Art Salmons wrote:
[...]

Why not use your film camera as your backup?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old October 27th 04, 08:20 AM
Fred B.

Do what you can afford to do.
If it is a financial stress, do what is practical.
If you can afford it, get what you want, and that will get you the joy of a
new toy and satisfaction.

Can't help with the flash question.

Old October 27th 04, 09:11 AM
Art Salmons

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message .. .
Art Salmons wrote:
I just bought a Canon D10 and I was wondering if I would eventually
need to get a backup digital body. I've always had two bodies for film
but the digital solves most of the reasons for having two. The main
reasons I carried two with film was to shoot two different film types
or film speeds. The second reason still valid is to have two different
lens set up and ready to go without having to stop. This was usually
at a fixed location like a grandkids party, social function like
wedding of friend, etc. When I went on field trips the second body
stayed in the bag. The last reason still valid is for the times when
an equipment failure occurs. In all my years of shooting this only

Why not use your film camera as your backup?

I kind of think that is the right answer. I have a Canon 1N that is in
excellent shape and it would serve me well in that capacity. Plus the
prices on them has really dropped so it's worth keeping because I
wouldn't be getting that much for it anyway. I really don't see the
need for two digital bodies right now. I just got the 10D this week
after the prices fell on them. I got it new for $950. In the future
when I move up to a newer Canon digital then I can keep the 10D as a
backup if I feel the need. That plus I still have a ton of film in the
refrigerator to either use or get rid of.

Art Salmons

Old October 27th 04, 02:25 PM
Dave Herzstein

Art Salmons wrote:
Sorry, You are right it's a 540 EZ. Would it work as a remote flash
triggered electronicly or wouldn't it work period?

How are you going to trigger it remotely?

-Dave