Ken Rockwell is a loon

Old April 3rd 14, 04:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Ken Rockwell is a loon

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

It also implies that you must have one of those stated cameras or you can't
attend, with no mention of DSLRs. I also find it strange that it implies you
must have a tripod, suppose you've taken your string and brick solution ;-)

a dslr is an slr.
Old April 3rd 14, 04:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

It also implies that you must have one of those stated cameras or you
can't
attend, with no mention of DSLRs. I also find it strange that it implies
you
must have a tripod, suppose you've taken your string and brick solution
;-)

a dslr is an slr.

Not really,

yes really. it just uses a digital sensor rather than film.

a large format 10X8 camera's were not SLRs either but are ;large
format.

large format was specified.

Not sure if a TLR would be allowed either.

tlr is medium format and qualifies.
Old April 3rd 14, 04:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

It says a tripod is required.

for large format.

I've used a TLR without a tripod .

everyone has.
Old April 4th 14, 05:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Whisky-dave wrote:

Whisky-dave:
It says a tripod is required.

nospam:
for large format.

Whisky-dave:
I've used a TLR without a tripod .

nospam:
everyone has.

So why is a tripod required ?

Because it's hard to shoot with large format without one.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old April 4th 14, 05:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-04-04 15:57:56 +0000, Whisky-dave said:

On Thursday, 3 April 2014 16:55:57 UTC+1, nospam wrote:
In article ,

Whisky-dave wrote:

It says a tripod is required.

for large format.
I've used a TLR without a tripod .

everyone has.

So why is a tripod required ?

The tripod is only required for the *photo tours* which have fewer
numbers of *serious photographer* participants, and which are not the
typical crowded tourist tour.
In the slot canyons the light conditions are low light-high contrast,
so the best results are obtained with long exposures making a tripod a
vital accessory. High ISO alone is not going to solve the problem. HDR
would help, but even there a tripod would be a big help. All needed to
get images such as these:

http://www.amazingplacesonearth.com/...e-Canyon-3.jpg

http://www.vistanature.com/wp-conten...ope-Canyon.jpg
http://neshtoto.com/wp-content/uploa...ope-Canyon.jpg

The typical tourist with a P&S or a phone camera shooting on auto, or
scene mode is not going to be very happy with the results they get.
they end up looking like this:
http://shmamaland.files.wordpress.co...1/nik_6105.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ope_Canyon.jpg

Savageduck

Old April 7th 14, 01:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Whisky-dave wrote:

Whisky-dave:
It says a tripod is required.

nospam:
for large format.

Whisky-dave:
I've used a TLR without a tripod .

nospam:
everyone has.

Whisky-dave:
So why is a tripod required ?

Sandman:
Because it's hard to shoot with large format without one.

I've always classed a TLR as a medium format camera.

Me too.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old April 8th 14, 03:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Whisky-dave wrote:

Whisky-dave:
It says a tripod is required.

nospam:
for large format.

Whisky-dave:
I've used a TLR without a tripod .

nospam:
everyone has.

Whisky-dave:
So why is a tripod required ?

Sandman:
Because it's hard to shoot with large format without one.

Whisky-dave:
I've always classed a TLR as a medium format camera.

Sandman:
Me too.

Then that makes 3 of us.

Uh, ok.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old April 8th 14, 04:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 7 Apr 2014 04:17:55 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Friday, 4 April 2014 17:11:39 UTC+1, Sandman wrote:
In article , Whisky-dave wrote:

Whisky-dave:

It says a tripod is required.

nospam:

for large format.

Whisky-dave:

I've used a TLR without a tripod .

nospam:

everyone has.

So why is a tripod required ?

Because it's hard to shoot with large format without one.

I've always classed a TLR as a medium format camera.

I think they virtually all were medium format.

Eric Stevens
Old April 8th 14, 04:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 7 Apr 2014 08:02:47 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Monday, 7 April 2014 13:42:27 UTC+1, Sandman wrote:
In article , Whisky-dave wrote:

Whisky-dave:

It says a tripod is required.

nospam:

for large format.

Whisky-dave:

I've used a TLR without a tripod .

nospam:

everyone has.

Whisky-dave:

So why is a tripod required ?

Sandman:

Because it's hard to shoot with large format without one.

I've always classed a TLR as a medium format camera.

Me too.

Then that makes 3 of us.

Hic!

--

Sandman[.net]

Eric Stevens
Old April 8th 14, 12:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood

wrote:

Because it's hard to shoot with large format without one.

I've always classed a TLR as a medium format camera.

I think they virtually all were medium format.

Almost all were. There were several large format plate cameras in the
quarter plate and up, but they were rare (in the UK anyway). I only know
of 1 35mm twin lens, an Agfa. It wasn't bad but fixed lens only and eye
level only.

--
Neil
Reverse ‘a’ and ‘r’