Nora

Old August 21st 13, 12:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Nora

On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 14:58:31 +0200, Sandman wrote:

In article ,
PeterN wrote:

But if you're going to write, perhaps you would do it some other way,
yes.

Can't resist:
"should"

Thanks!

I make lots of errors, and I have no problem with people pointing them
out to me

Haw!

Eric Stevens
Old August 21st 13, 03:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

PeterN wrote:

But if you're going to write, perhaps you would do it some other way,
yes.

Can't resist:
"should"

Thanks!

I make lots of errors, and I have no problem with people pointing them
out to me

Haw!

There is a subsequent post in which he tries to call me out for
correcting him incorrectly, here.

That being said, his photography shows a lot of promise.

--
PeterN
Old August 21st 13, 06:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article ,
sid wrote:

See, you're doing it again. Preaching to the converted. I am, as is Dave,
a native English speaker.

So it should be clear to you.......... blah blah blah

Seeing...

Hardly, sid. Hardly.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old August 21st 13, 06:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

You could try Morecambe and Wise a comedy due in the UK in the 70s

Was it due in the 70s, Dave? Or is still due in the 70s?
Or did you mean "duo"?

due

Uh, seriously?

see you're getting there you just have to use that stuff between your
ears, and I mean on the inside of your head not the outside.

Do you have stuff between your ears on the outside of your head, Drunk
Dave?

--
Sandman[.net]
Old August 21st 13, 06:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

And when it comes to spelling and grammar, I need an asylum?

I doubt such people that can't tell the differnce between a spelling error
and a typo need to be put in an asylum but those that make such a song and
dance about it should be sectioned for their own good.

Those that make such a song and dance, huh? Remind me who posted the
first grammar flame in this thread, Drunk Dave? Was it Savageduck? Hmmm,
no... Was it Sid? Uh, no... Maybe it was Pensive Hamster?

No wait, that would be YOU!

Ironic.

I rarely, if ever, make spelling or grammar flames. I don't care much
about it. I make plenty of those errors myself, so there would be no
point of me trying to sit on high horses pointing out errors of other
out of the blue, like you do.

And when you did, and while the same time failing simple grammar in your
own grammar flame (now confirmed by you, but naturally snipped in this
followup), then I call out the irony.

What I didn't anticipate was the onslaught of people ready to make a
song and dance about your grammar being intentionally incorrect and me
"just not getting it". They have fallen strangely silent now that you
have confirmed that the grammar in your initial grammar flame was
incorrectly used, even for the reference you made.

Yeah, that's some song and dance, Drunk Dave! All I did was post
pictures of a train.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old August 21st 13, 12:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 22:53:36 +0200, Sandman wrote:

In article ,
sid wrote:

Also note the punctuation and capitalisation:

Drunk Dave:
"Nice pics pity you don't speak proper english like what me and
the
queen do"

Actual English:
"Nice pics. Pity you don't speak proper English like me and the
Queen"

I'm not an expert, but I'm not stupid either. There is a middle road

See, you're doing it again. Preaching to the converted. I am, as is
Dave, a native English speaker.

So it should be clear to you that even considering the *possibility*
that Dave could actually conjure up an actual joke in his post, it is
still incorrectly written and ironically ridden with grammatical and
structural errors when writing it as a grammar flame.

Please read the original post again. It was intentionally written in that
way ( it is even quite a common joke in the UK).

For the record, the supposed missed reference here (the "like what me
and the X does" quote) is somehow completely lost to the internet. I
have no problem having missed a cultural reference (not even sure if I
could, Dave seems to be posting from the US, so any UK cultural
references should be off the radar anyway), I'm beginning to get some
doubts about the veracity of this as a cultural reference.

You are listening to the other answers in this group, Dave is NOT posting
from the US but from the UK.
Your doubts are from your mind and not from facts.

Not calling Pensive Hamster a liar, but it would be nice to get some
form of context for the supposed reference, where this butchered English
makes sense:

"pity you don't speak proper english like what me and the queen do"

And doesn't use "does" as Pensive Hamster had to do in his quote of the
presumed reference. See - even when using cultural expressions, some
basic rules often apply.

It doesn't have to make grammatical sense as that is the main part of the
joke.

--
Neil
Reverse ‘a’ and ‘r’
Old August 21st 13, 01:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article ,
Neil Ellwood wrote:

So it should be clear to you that even considering the *possibility*
that Dave could actually conjure up an actual joke in his post, it is
still incorrectly written and ironically ridden with grammatical and
structural errors when writing it as a grammar flame.

Please read the original post again. It was intentionally written in that
way ( it is even quite a common joke in the UK).

Yeah, but as far as anyone ever have shown, it does not generally mix
tense. I.e. the correct usage of the joke would have been:

"pity you don't speak proper english like what me and the queen does"

For the record, the supposed missed reference here (the "like what me
and the X does" quote) is somehow completely lost to the internet. I
have no problem having missed a cultural reference (not even sure if I
could, Dave seems to be posting from the US, so any UK cultural
references should be off the radar anyway), I'm beginning to get some
doubts about the veracity of this as a cultural reference.

You are listening to the other answers in this group, Dave is NOT posting
from the US but from the UK.

Yeah, that was my mistake.

Your doubts are from your mind and not from facts.

My doubts have shown to be true, verified by Drunk Dave himself,
actually.

And doesn't use "does" as Pensive Hamster had to do in his quote of the
presumed reference. See - even when using cultural expressions, some
basic rules often apply.

It doesn't have to make grammatical sense as that is the main part of the
joke.

The "main part" of the joke is the reference to Morecambe and Wise's
catchphrase "the play what I wrote", and several versions of it. I have
yet to find any version of this catchphrase that also mixes tenses. You
are free to help me out here, of course.

I used another example in an earlier post, this is akin to writing this:

"I've lose me marbles, said the leprechaun"

Now, this catch-phrase already has whacky grammar given the "me" instead
of "my", but that doesn't mean you can change the tense of any other
words and pretend it's ok.

The point is that even if the reference has intentionally faulty
grammar, that doesn't justify you adding even more bad grammar.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old August 21st 13, 01:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

No wait, that would be YOU!

Ironic.

Why are you saying conversations personalities and characters can't be
present across threads.

I can't decode the above sentence to a coherent question.

I rarely, if ever, make spelling or grammar flames. I don't care much
about it.

Niether do I, I only comment on others that comment on mine or decide that
because I type teh rather than the, I'm drunk.

Yeah, because "teh" is the only mistake you make, Dave

So what is yuor excuse for gramma and spelling mistakes drunkeness or
imcompedence. or are you not bright enough to tell.

My spelling mistakes are obvious oversights, my grammar mistakes are
lack of knowledge at points, or just brain farts in other cases.

I make plenty of those errors myself, so there would be no point of
me trying to sit on high horses pointing out errors of other out of
the blue, like you do.

you're the one calling me drunk

Yeah? Better than stupid, is it not? I mean, being unable to write
coherently due to something external must be better than due to
something internal?

Do you have some other explanation?

I just attempt to show and correct your mistakes

While making some new ones yourself in the process

And when you did, and while the same time failing simple grammar in your
own grammar flame (now confirmed by you, but naturally snipped in this
followup), then I call out the irony.

it wasn;t me that started the grammar flames.,

Of course it was.

but it was you that doesn't seem to understand why things are
sometimes written the way they are.

Such as?

What I didn't anticipate was the onslaught of people ready to make a
song and dance about your grammar being intentionally incorrect and me
"just not getting it".

because it went straight over your head, that isn't our fault.

Is that why you confirmed in your post that you had mistakenly mixed the
tense, and I was correct from the beginning? Yeah, that must be it.

They have fallen strangely silent now that you have confirmed that
the grammar in your initial grammar flame was incorrectly used,
even for the reference you made.

I think you're starting to imagine things.

That's the liquor talking

You;'re ther one that got it wrong, you were teh one that posted a so called
phrase that I used and I did not use it.

Uh, I have been quoting you verbatim the whole time. This is your first
post in this thread:

Whisky-dave

Nice pics pity you don't speak proper english like what me
and the queen do

And then you tried to explain the reference, and you wrote this:

Whisky-dave

And I think it was ericM that used a phrase such as I speak
the queens english like wot she does.

I wonder if you will be able to spot the difference. I mean, I've only
pointed it out some thirty times now

Yeah, that's some song and dance, Drunk Dave! All I did was post
pictures of a train.

Pictures of a train, sorry I don't remmeber those pictures.

I know, you got busy quickly with grammar flames instead.

I do remmebr a young blonde girl and somethinng about a smoke machine, is
that what your referring to. My comment on those was stick a fag in her
mounth or something similar. I assume you can work out what a fag is meant to
mean in this case.
Where's this train you're refering to and what did I say about it ?

It's even quoted above, drunk Dave

--
Sandman[.net]
Old August 21st 13, 06:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sid[_2_]

Sandman wrote:

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

No wait, that would be YOU!

Ironic.

Why are you saying conversations personalities and characters can't be
present across threads.

I can't decode the above sentence to a coherent question.

That's not really a surprise considering the current and previous threads
involving you and the question of the English language.

I rarely, if ever, make spelling or grammar flames. I don't care much
about it.

Neither do I, I only comment on others that comment on mine or decide
that because I type teh rather than the, I'm drunk.

Yeah, because "teh" is the only mistake you make, Dave

So what is yuor excuse for gramma and spelling mistakes drunkeness or
imcompedence. or are you not bright enough to tell.

My spelling mistakes are obvious oversights, my grammar mistakes are
lack of knowledge at points, or just brain farts in other cases.

I make plenty of those errors myself, so there would be no point of
me trying to sit on high horses pointing out errors

The mind boggles! If you can't see that that is exactly what you're doing
there is exactly no hope at all.

[...]

You're off your ****ing rocker with the desire to prove yourself correct
aren't you. Dave hasn't confirmed you were right he was trying to show the
sort of thing he was doing in his original post was actually intentional and
not some unintentional bad grammar as you are trying to imply. Morcame and
Wise were just one example he was trying to help you understand with.

They have fallen strangely silent now that you have confirmed that
the grammar in your initial grammar flame was incorrectly used,
even for the reference you made.

The only reasons people may have fallen silent is 'cus you've killfiled 'em
or they're so fed up with you being an obstinate prick that they just can't
be bothered to reply any more

I think you're starting to imagine things.

That's the liquor talking

You;'re ther one that got it wrong, you were teh one that posted a so
called phrase that I used and I did not use it.

Uh, I have been quoting you verbatim the whole time. This is your first
post in this thread:

Whisky-dave

Nice pics pity you don't speak proper english like what me
and the queen do

And then you tried to explain the reference, and you wrote this:

Whisky-dave

And I think it was ericM that used a phrase such as I speak
the queens english like wot she does.

I wonder if you will be able to spot the difference. I mean, I've only
pointed it out some thirty times now

There is no difference, why won't you listen. Neither of the phrases used
are set in stone things, they are a "turn of phrase" that carries an implied
meaning, i.e. a joke. It would not matter, to an English speaker, what tense
was used or who was referred to. The joke is using bad grammar to falsely
imply one speaks correctly.

Yeah, that's some song and dance, Drunk Dave! All I did was post
pictures of a train.

If you are persistently rude to people in public then the same thing is
going to happen to you, a man of your intellect must surely realise this?

Pictures of a train, sorry I don't remmeber those pictures.

I know, you got busy quickly with grammar flames instead.

You've set yourself up for that though haven't you.

--
sid
Old August 21st 13, 07:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article ,
sid wrote:

Why are you saying conversations personalities and characters can't be
present across threads.

I can't decode the above sentence to a coherent question.

That's not really a surprise considering the current and previous threads
involving you and the question of the English language.

Nice comment there sid. So, can you decode it? Wouldn't your sarcastic
comment been a bit more humiliating for me had you actually decoded it
and explained it to me - clearly exposing how inept I am at English?

Lots of hot air there, sid.

I make plenty of those errors myself, so there would be no point of
me trying to sit on high horses pointing out errors

The mind boggles! If you can't see that that is exactly what you're doing
there is exactly no hope at all.

Huh? You have obviously not been following along, Sid. You are in a
thread which I started. The very first post contained links to photos
I've taken. It was quite on topic, but contained a spelling (or rather,
a grammar) mistake.

Drunk Dave joined the thread for one purpose only - to make a grammar
flame. I didn't attack his grammar or spelling, he attacked mine.

Now, I don't mind that at all. I *know* I make mistakes and I know I
made a mistake in this very thread. But then Dave ironically enough also
had a grammar mistake in his grammar flame, something too ironic to pass
up on. I made fun of this just as he had made fun of me and all would
have been well and nice if not the Illiterati had joined and claimed
that no no no, they had read Dave's mind and Dave's sentence was
*supposed* to be grammatically incorrect, mixing tenses, having
incorrect punctuation and capitalisation - it's a *cultural reference*!

So yes, I *did* miss the cultural reference. I admitted to that, and
that did lessen the "fun" I had previously made of Dave, but not the
point - because everyone citing the actual cultural reference curiously
left out the grammatical mistakes that I had pointed to the entire time.

Rinse and repeat over and over again, with me supporting,
substantiating, making examples and you guys that just go "nuhnuhnuh you
don't get it, end of story" without you know... doing anything of the
above.

The problem, as I'm sure you're aware of by now, was that Dave
mistakenly wrote "like what me and the queen do" where he should have
used "like what me and the queen DOES". And that's ignoring the other
mistakes.

Dave himself has even confirmed this in a followup where he even told me
from where the reference came and wrote a quote of it. Where,
ironically, the correct tense was used.

I'll reiterate another example I've used. Daves use of the catchphrase
is akin to me writing this:

"I've lose me marbles"

The original phrase has bad grammar, fine. The use of the phrase has
even more bad grammar and mixing of tense. It's either "have lost" or
"will lose" (or "can lose" or whatever), not "have lose". That's mixing
tenses in the quote and that is ironic to do in a grammar flame.

I know this is a lot of text and you'll probably just reply to it with a
"nuhnuhnuh you don't get it, end of story" but that's kind of
illustrating my entire point

because it went straight over your head, that isn't our fault.

Is that why you confirmed in your post that you had mistakenly mixed the
tense, and I was correct from the beginning? Yeah, that must be it.

You're off your ****ing rocker with the desire to prove yourself correct
aren't you.

No.

They have fallen strangely silent now that you have confirmed that
the grammar in your initial grammar flame was incorrectly used,
even for the reference you made.

The only reasons people may have fallen silent is 'cus you've killfiled 'em
or they're so fed up with you being an obstinate prick that they just can't
be bothered to reply any more

I've only killfiled two trolls in this group. Either way, they all fell
silent long before they ever found the strength to support their opinion
on the subject with anything but hot air.

If they want to blame me for supporting and arguing my case in light of
*no* support for the opposing view, then I'm fine with that. It's better
to be silent than continue to argue when you have no support.

Yeah, that's some song and dance, Drunk Dave! All I did was post
pictures of a train.

If you are persistently rude to people in public then the same thing is
going to happen to you, a man of your intellect must surely realise this?

Huh? This is coming from the guy that just wrote "You're off your
****ing rocker", right?

Tell me, Sid, when was I ever rude to you without you being rude to me
first? I really like a Message ID here to verify that I was persistently
rude to you that prompted your arrogance and sarcasm towards me. I'll
obviously apologize since that rarely is my style. I can be pretty
hostile towards people that are hostile towards me, but I try to not
start the hostilities. Obviously, I may have done so at some point, so
please point me in the right direction and a sincere apology will be
forthcoming.

Pictures of a train, sorry I don't remmeber those pictures.

I know, you got busy quickly with grammar flames instead.

You've set yourself up for that though haven't you.

Where did i set myself up for that, Sid? In what way? You just made a
claim and I bet you won't bother to support it.

"set myself up" surely suggest that in the past, I make lots of grammar
flames towards people (or just Dave). I know I have alerted him in the
past when I have been unable to understand a given sentence, but please
point me to where I have "set myself up" for this, Sid.

Thank you in advance.

--
Sandman[.net]