Nora

Old August 19th 13, 05:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Nora

On 2013-08-19 09:26:35 -0700, Sandman said:

In article ,
sid wrote:

Nice pics pity you don't speak proper english like what me and the queen
do ;-)

Haha, drunk Dave tries to make a spelling flame! That's HILARIOUS!

And, as usual when making a spelling flame, you messed up the grammar:

"like what me and the queen do".

Ironic.

The trouble with setting your self up as an English expert is that as a non
native English speaker you just do not "get" the jist, not for the first
time, of what is being said to you.
For starters it was not a spelling flame but a grammar flame and secondly
Dave wrote perfectly correctly for the meaning he was conveying.

Not only have I set myself up as an "expert" of anything, but you're
also incorrect. Removing non-qualifying parts of the sentence:

"you don't speak English like what I do"

Is not a properly formatted English sentence. "What" is a relative
pronoun here that does not relate to anything else in the sentence as
constructed. "Speak" is a verb, and is referenced with an adverb, like
"how".

"you don't speak English like I do"
"you don't speak English how I do"
"you don't speak English the way I do"

Are all correct. And thus the correct version would be:

"You don't speak proper English like me and the Queen"

No adverb or pronoun is even needed. But if you insist:

"You don't speak proper English like how me and the Queen does it"

Also note the punctuation and capitalisation:

Drunk Dave:
"Nice pics pity you don't speak proper english like what me and the
queen do"

Actual English:
"Nice pics. Pity you don't speak proper English like me and the
Queen"

I'm not an expert, but I'm not stupid either. There is a middle road

That was an obvious joke and play on words by Dave.
....and what is obvious is you didn't get the joke.

Savageduck

Old August 19th 13, 06:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
pensive hamster

On Monday, 19 August 2013 17:45:08 UTC+1, Tony Cooper wrote:

He still doesn't "get it". Nohow. The sentence was written as
sarcastic commentary with the structure and grammar fully intended as
it appears.

Usenet is the perfect medium for international mis-communication.
Old August 19th 13, 06:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
pensive hamster

On Monday, 19 August 2013 14:10:53 UTC+1, Sandman wrote:
[...]
http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Nora12?lang=en

My and my family went to the small town of Nora, Sweden to go on a
real steam train. Very beautiful!

Surely it should be, My family and I.................

Nice pics pity you don't speak proper english like what me and the queen do
;-)

Haha, drunk Dave tries to make a spelling flame! That's HILARIOUS!

And, as usual when making a spelling flame, you messed up the grammar:

"like what me and the queen do".

Ironic.

Its not a spelling flame.

He's taking the mickey out of the UK Queen, who quite often
says, in official speeches,'My family and I ...' or 'My husband and I ...'
and contrasting it with (a stereotype) of lower class speech, which
would be something like 'like wot me and the missus does'.

Call us class-obsessed if you like, but spelling flamers, never!

Old August 19th 13, 06:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Savageduck wrote:

[...]

Uh, Drunk Dave can't write a proper English sentence to save his life.
Surely you've read his posts? They are a mess, and you need some form of
decoding key in order to understand them.

The spelling and grammar mistakes he makes are NOT intentional, or he
does it in every single post he ever makes.

I sincerely think he's drunk when he posts.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old August 19th 13, 07:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-08-19 10:31:51 -0700, Sandman said:

Savageduck wrote:

That was an obvious joke and play on words by Dave.
...and what is obvious is you didn't get the joke.

Uh, Drunk Dave can't write a proper English sentence to save his life.
Surely you've read his posts? They are a mess, and you need some form of
decoding key in order to understand them.

Agreed. It looks like he types with his elbows & feet.

The spelling and grammar mistakes he makes are NOT intentional, or he
does it in every single post he ever makes.

To anybody who has read his posts that is obvious. However, in the case
of the post under discussion, his play on words, sending up upper class
sensitivities was on target and not intended to be taken seriously.
This was obvious to any English speaker grasping the context of what he
wrote.
It was written with humor, and it is obvious that you didn't get the
joke then, and don't get it now.

I sincerely think he's drunk when he posts.

His use of G2/1.0 doesn't help.

Savageduck

Old August 19th 13, 08:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sid[_2_]

Sandman wrote:

In article ,
sid wrote:

[...]

See, you're doing it again. Preaching to the converted. I am, as is Dave, a
native English speaker. I'm telling you that you has misinterpreted Daves
post. It is a joke sentance. It is meant to be gramatically incorrect. Face
facts for once and admit you didn't see the joke and stop trying to explain
to poeple what it is they mean when they write something you don't
understand.

--
sid
Old August 19th 13, 09:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 15:10:53 +0200, Sandman wrote:

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

On Sunday, 18 August 2013 14:03:57 UTC+1, Sandman wrote:
Blog post:

http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Nora12?lang=en

My and my family went to the small town of Nora, Sweden to go on a

real steam train. Very beautiful!

Surely it should be, My family and I.................

Nice pics pity you don't speak proper english like what me and the queen do
;-)

Haha, drunk Dave tries to make a spelling flame! That's HILARIOUS!

A justified correction made in a friendly manner is a "spelling
flame"!

And, as usual when making a spelling flame, you messed up the grammar:

"like what me and the queen do".

No sense of humour. :-(

Ironic.

Eric Stevens
Old August 19th 13, 09:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Savageduck wrote:

The spelling and grammar mistakes he makes are NOT intentional, or he
does it in every single post he ever makes.

To anybody who has read his posts that is obvious. However, in the case
of the post under discussion, his play on words, sending up upper class
sensitivities was on target and not intended to be taken seriously.
This was obvious to any English speaker grasping the context of what he
wrote.

Content perhaps, not context. The context was what I wrote.

Even if he intentionally made a joke (which I *highly* doubt given his
poor spelling and grammar record), that doesn't change the very fact
that the sentence is grammatically invalid, even if intentional, which I
correctly pointed out.

It was written with humor, and it is obvious that you didn't get the
joke then, and don't get it now.

Me not getting a supposed joke doesn't make the sentence valid, however.
Anyone making a grammar flame while at the same time misusing grammar,
intentional or not, sort of nukes themselves.

All the humor in the world can't make me feel bad for laughing at this
sentence from drunk Dave:

"Nice pics pity you don't speak proper english like what me and the
queen do"

Even if considering the expression "what me and the missus do", it still
isn't even properly adapted to this context. Even Pensive Hamster
agrees, when he tried to retcon his quote:

"He's taking the mickey out of the UK Queen, who quite often
says, in official speeches,'My family and I ...' or 'My husband and
I ...' and contrasting it with (a stereotype) of lower class
speech, which would be something like 'like wot me and the missus
does'."

Here's the difference, for comparison:

"Nice pics pity you don't speak proper english like what me and the
queen do"

"like wot me and the missus does"

The Hamster choose not to put his quote in the same context because,
well, he can't. It's grammatically broken.

I have no problem with being wrong, or even missing a specific reference
if that was the case. But as you can probably see by now, that doesn't
help drunk Dave

--
Sandman[.net]
Old August 19th 13, 09:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article ,
sid wrote:

Also note the punctuation and capitalisation:

Drunk Dave:
"Nice pics pity you don't speak proper english like what me and the
queen do"

Actual English:
"Nice pics. Pity you don't speak proper English like me and the
Queen"

I'm not an expert, but I'm not stupid either. There is a middle road

See, you're doing it again. Preaching to the converted. I am, as is Dave, a
native English speaker.

So it should be clear to you that even considering the *possibility*
that Dave could actually conjure up an actual joke in his post, it is
still incorrectly written and ironically ridden with grammatical and
structural errors when writing it as a grammar flame.

For the record, the supposed missed reference here (the "like what me
and the X does" quote) is somehow completely lost to the internet. I
have no problem having missed a cultural reference (not even sure if I
could, Dave seems to be posting from the US, so any UK cultural
references should be off the radar anyway), I'm beginning to get some
doubts about the veracity of this as a cultural reference.

Not calling Pensive Hamster a liar, but it would be nice to get some
form of context for the supposed reference, where this butchered English
makes sense:

"pity you don't speak proper english like what me and the queen do"

And doesn't use "does" as Pensive Hamster had to do in his quote of the
presumed reference. See - even when using cultural expressions, some
basic rules often apply.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old August 19th 13, 10:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-08-19 13:39:40 -0700, Sandman said:

Savageduck wrote:

The spelling and grammar mistakes he makes are NOT intentional, or he
does it in every single post he ever makes.

To anybody who has read his posts that is obvious. However, in the case
of the post under discussion, his play on words, sending up upper class
sensitivities was on target and not intended to be taken seriously.
This was obvious to any English speaker grasping the context of what he
wrote.

Content perhaps, not context. The context was what I wrote.

Even if he intentionally made a joke (which I *highly* doubt given his
poor spelling and grammar record), that doesn't change the very fact
that the sentence is grammatically invalid, even if intentional, which I
correctly pointed out.

The intentional bad grammar was the essence of the joke, poking fun at
himself and the Royal family. It was meant to be blatantly
grammatically incorrect. His intent to make a joke has been obvious to
all except you.

Dave actually got through that particular response to your grammatical
error quite well. Then when he inserted some humor, which you did not
recognize, he even showed his intent by punctuating with an appropriate
"smiley face" emoticon.

You just didn't get the joke then, or now. His past record of poor
spelling, bad typing, fractured phraseology, and fractured thinking
just didn't apply in this case.

Savageduck