Best Photo printer please

Old September 2nd 13, 05:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
iCod

Default Best Photo printer please

My Canon ip5000 has died. I need a replacement. Any recomendations
greatfully received. Ink replacement price is an important issue.

Thanks
Old September 2nd 13, 06:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2013.09.02 12:48 , iCod wrote:
My Canon ip5000 has died. I need a replacement. Any recomendations
greatfully received. Ink replacement price is an important issue.

Pro photo printers give you the best ink cost - about 1 ¢ per square inch

Example: Epson 3880. It has a new cost of about $1300 - but that
includes a full set of 100% full 80 ml ink cartridges (that's about $500
worth of ink). So in reality it is a $800 printer. Those large
cartridges are more expensive (about $50 - $55 per cart) but they
contain far more ink than the 15ml carts that you pay $20 - $30 for.

Common ink jet printers (such as you would get at Staples) with scanner
and fax integration, are about 2 - 4 times more expensive in ink costs -
but the up front cost is very low ($100 or less).

Kodak claimed that their personal use printers, while more expensive ,
had lower ink costs that most ink jets. I do not know if that bears out
in real life.

--
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media,

Old September 2nd 13, 06:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-09-02 09:48:39 -0700, iCod said:

My Canon ip5000 has died. I need a replacement. Any recomendations
greatfully received. Ink replacement price is an important issue.

Thanks

Ink replacement price is always an important issue. Both Canon & Epson
are going to make sure those prices are going to stay high. ;-)

Everything depends on your photo printing needs. If you are looking for
a dedicated photo printer and are prepare to pay the replacement price
for your ip5000. My recommendation is an Epson.
I had (still have) a Canon i9900 which was a great printer, but could
never get consistent color (especially with blacks) and I was never
completely satisfied with the prints.
I bought an Epson R2880 and I couldn't be happier with the results with
the result that the Canon hasn't been used for photo prints in some 3 +
years.
Today I would probably go for the Epson R3880 as that uses larger ink
cartridges. The ink for the R2880 is not inexpensive, but since I am
not printing large runs of large prints it is not a major burden.

Savageduck

Old September 2nd 13, 06:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 9/2/2013 1:01 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2013.09.02 12:48 , iCod wrote:
[...]

Your suggestion is for an excellent high quality printer. And indeed if
I decide to do fine art printing, it is the one I would purchase.

If the OP is more concerned about ink costs than quality, he should
consider any printer for which he is able to get third party ink. We
don't know what size images he is seeking to make, and the quantity of
printing he does, therefore, it is difficult to make a recommendation.

--
PeterN
Old September 2nd 13, 06:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article ,
iCod wrote:

My Canon ip5000 has died. I need a replacement. Any recomendations
greatfully received. Ink replacement price is an important issue.

Can't say I've compared ink prices, but my Epson Stylus Photo 2100 is
amazingly good. It has seven cartridges and prints at 2880x1440 dpi.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old September 2nd 13, 06:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2013.09.02 12:48 , iCod wrote:
[...]

I assume that anyone making photo prints wants photo quality ink and not
the hit or miss of 3rd party inks.

Pro printers such as the 3880 (I have the predecessor 3800 which uses
the same ink carts except one) are designed for high throughput (not
that I do high volume). So the ink quality is superior and the cost per
print is far lower than common inkjets. At a lower capital cost and
slightly higher ink cost is the printer that the duck mentioned.

Old September 2nd 13, 08:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2013.09.02 12:48 , iCod wrote:
[...]

The OP should not ignore the cost of photoquality paper. Larger sheets
are often cheaper than smaller (e.g. A3+ is cheaper than A3) and this
should be borne in mind when considering printer size. I went through
this exercise about three years ago and, like PeterN, I ended up
buying an Epson 3800. I could have bought a cheaper printer but by the
time I had bought my first set of replacement ink cartridges it had
already cost me less to run than if I had bought a smaller R2800 (I
think it was then).

Eric Stevens
Old September 2nd 13, 09:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

On 2013-09-02 09:48:39 -0700, iCod said:

My Canon ip5000 has died. I need a replacement. Any recomendations
greatfully received. Ink replacement price is an important issue.

Thanks

Ink replacement price is always an important issue. Both Canon & Epson
are going to make sure those prices are going to stay high. ;-)

They sure seem to be doing just that - unfortunately their analysis of
volume of sales needed vs the highest price the market will bear to
extract maximum profit hasn't shifted.
They also geo-lock printers/cartridges to prevent people shipping from
their low price markets. Epson gave different model names/numbers to
printers and cartridges sold in Japan vs the rest of the world, making
it difficult to track down online sellers of OEM cartridges in Japan.
With some difficulty, you could find the "equivalent" cartridges sold by
department stores in Japan at about 50% of the US price. But even if
you could buy them, they won't work in the USA "version" of the printer
(nor for example would the US cartridges work in European printers -
where ink costs are even more ridiculous). Some people import the
larger cartridges from Japan, extract the ink and use that to refill
local cartridges, or to run CIS in smaller printers.

Old September 2nd 13, 10:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 2013.09.02 12:48 , iCod wrote:
[...]

Some third party inks are superb. But, unless you have inside knowledge,
you really don't know what you are getting.
However, we really don't know the OP's requirements.

--
PeterN
Old September 2nd 13, 10:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 9/2/2013 3:46 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:

snip

The OP should not ignore the cost of photoquality paper. Larger sheets
are often cheaper than smaller (e.g. A3+ is cheaper than A3) and this
should be borne in mind when considering printer size. I went through
this exercise about three years ago and, like PeterN, I ended up
buying an Epson 3800. I could have bought a cheaper printer but by the
time I had bought my first set of replacement ink cartridges it had
already cost me less to run than if I had bought a smaller R2800 (I
think it was then).

Minor correction. I do not own any photo printer. I do all my printing
at Costco. But, as I said, for me a 3880 would be my choice of printers.
For lower ink prices one would do well with the 4880, but unless the
OP did a high volume, ink clogging would become a problem.

--
PeterN