Spyder 2 and Windows 7.

Old February 3rd 11, 02:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Spyder 2 and Windows 7.

I have just put my old XP machine into semi-retirement and gone over
to real Gee-Whiz device running 64 bit Windows 7. I have been
disconcerted to find that my trusty Spyder 2 from ColorVision no
longer runs properly, even with the appropriate updated driver.
Particularly it 'dings' in the middle of the screen section as though
to indicate an error and is unable to save the adjusted monitor
profile at the end.

Has anyone else struck this problem, and were they able to make it
work?

If I'm unable to get Spyder 2 working properly I will have to replace
it. I expect there will be many opinions as to the state of the art
and I would like to hear recommendations as to what I should buy.

One thing is certain, I can't continue with an uncalibrated monitor.
Regards,

Eric Stevens.

There are two classes of people. Those who divide people into
two classes, and those who don't. I belong to the second class

Old February 3rd 11, 06:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
N[_9_]

On 3/02/2011, Eric Stevens wrote:
[...]

Did you Google it?
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/for...d.php?t=132446
and probably plenty more results.

I use a ColorMunki on Windows 7 64 bit and it works fine.

Old February 3rd 11, 09:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 17:43:16 +1100, N wrote:

[...]

Yes (of course I Googled it) but that doesn't really give me any sense
of user experiences. That's why I asked the news group.

As far as my immediate problem is concerned, I've now got Spyder 2 to
the point where I can complete a profile but I can't save it:

"Sorry, there was a problem installing the profile
(InstallColorProfile)"

"Error 5 (CMS Support 327"

"Access is denied"

Apparently I can deal with this problem with the aid of Spyder's
'Profile Chooser' except this latest driver which I have downloaded
shows no sign of the menu through which this (and other things) are
supposedly accessible.
Old February 3rd 11, 08:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 3 Feb 2011 06:18:39 -0800 (PST), Vance
wrote:

On Feb 3, 1:32*am, Eric Stevens wrote:
[...]

supposedly accessible.- Hide quoted text -

Try an install as administrator, not as a user. It looks like you are
running into one of the UAC (User Access Control) irritations of Win
7.

Unfortunately, I am already the administrator. I suspect I am being
locked out by a setting somewhere.
Old February 3rd 11, 09:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
N[_9_]

wrote:

[...]

That's not the same thing. Are you using Windows 7 64 bit or 32 bit?

Right click the installer exe and select "Run as Administrator".

Old February 3rd 11, 11:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Eric Stevens wrote:
I have just put my old XP machine into semi-retirement and gone over
to real Gee-Whiz device running 64 bit Windows 7. I have been
disconcerted to find that my trusty Spyder 2 from ColorVision no
longer runs properly, even with the appropriate updated driver.

If everything fails, you can always turn to free software.
http://argyllcms.com/

You'll need to use special (included) software to extract the
firmware for the Spyder2.
http://argyllcms.com/doc/spyd2en.html

You'll probably want a nice GUI frontent like
http://hoech.net/dispcalGUI/

-Wolfgang
Old February 4th 11, 12:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

locked out by a setting somewhere.- Hide quoted text -

Try turning the UAC completely off.

I'm beginning to think the problem is in the ATI driver. Even though
this model computer has been on the market only since 9 Jan, I find
there is a newATI driver. I'm going to try that.
Old February 4th 11, 01:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

Right click the installer exe and select "Run as Administrator".- Hide quoted text -

Try this approach. Access Denied isn't uncommon in Windows 7 and you
seem to have tried the other quick approaches.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows...ion-ownership/

That's a good site. My problem is that as of right now I don't even
know what it is I am being locked out of. I can't search for the file
as it never gets saved.
Old February 4th 11, 01:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 4 Feb 2011 00:10:13 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg
wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:
I have just put my old XP machine into semi-retirement and gone over
to real Gee-Whiz device running 64 bit Windows 7. I have been
disconcerted to find that my trusty Spyder 2 from ColorVision no
longer runs properly, even with the appropriate updated driver.

If everything fails, you can always turn to free software.
http://argyllcms.com/

You'll need to use special (included) software to extract the
firmware for the Spyder2.
http://argyllcms.com/doc/spyd2en.html

You'll probably want a nice GUI frontent like
http://hoech.net/dispcalGUI/

-Wolfgang

Gawd!

It's more than thirty years sonce I dealt with anything like that.
I think I would rather buy a new colorimeter that works before I got
bogged down in that.
Old February 4th 11, 02:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

Nope. That hasn't done it, even though it solved the same problem with
an NVidea card on another machine.