CANON - The Great Innovator (was: CANON – The Great Pretender)

Old August 24th 04, 12:57 AM
Skip M

"Colin D" wrote in message
Tony Spadaro wrote:

Mark, you might want to point out to that nerk John that pros don't put

an
apostrophy in the word.
"Pro's don't use 35mm."
What a maroon!

Err, they should, though, it's an abbreviation not ending in the last
letter of the full word.

Colin D.

If that were the case, then the accepted version of the singular would be
"pro'." Since that is not the case, then "pros" is probably the correct
plural.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old August 24th 04, 12:58 AM
Skip M

"Big Bill" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:04:27 -0700, "Mark M"
wrote:

"Brian C. Baird" wrote in message
. ..
In article sv6Wc.93393$Lj.66946@fed1read03, mjmorgan2
@goaway.cox.unless.no.crap.net says...
Use of an apostrophe wouldn't apply to an abbreviation anyway unless

you're
showing posession...
It ain't not gonna's work's them's way's like's he's done's it.

Right now I'm looking at a poster I got from a Canadian cartoonist

named
Steve Notley. It's called: "BOB'S QUICK GUIDE TO THE APOSTROPHE, YOU
IDIOTS."

And???

There should be an apostrophe after "IDIOTS". :-)

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

No, it's a plural, not a possessive.

Old August 24th 04, 01:16 AM
Colin D

Colin D wrote:

Tony Spadaro wrote:

Mark, you might want to point out to that nerk John that pros don't put an
apostrophy in the word.
"Pro's don't use 35mm."
What a maroon!

Err, they should, though, it's an abbreviation not ending in the last
letter of the full word.

Colin D.

Oops - apologies for the balls-up there. A senior moment must've
overtaken me. An abbreviation not ending in the last letter of the word
is signalled with a full stop, not an apostrophe, as in 'misc.' and
'etc.' but not in 'Dr' or 'Mr'.

Having said that, perhaps it's being a bit picky to comment on
grammatical, punctuation, and spelling mistakes in a NG post. But then,
I find such mistakes as I spot tend to grab my attention. To me, they
can overwhelm the intent of the message. I well remember a large poster
that was displayed throughout the country (New Zealand) publicizing
cancer week, soliciting donations to the cause. The heading, in huge
letters was "PROSTRATE CANCER KILLS". I guess there were some red faces
in the advertising department.

Colin D.
Old August 24th 04, 03:16 AM
McLeod

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 12:16:05 +1200, Colin D
wrote:

Colin D wrote:

Tony Spadaro wrote:

[...]

You should quit while you're ahead. According to my english grammar
book Dr., Mr., Ms., and almost every other title before a name has
period following it.

Old August 24th 04, 03:19 AM
Tony Spadaro

It's was a joke s - I say it's a joke son. Try reading the title as if there
were an apostrophy in idiots

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
"Prometheus" wrote in message
In article m, Tony
Spadaro writes
Shouldn't there be an apostrophy in IDIOT'S?

--
"Mark M" wrote in message

"Brian C. Baird" wrote in message
.. .
In article sv6Wc.93393$Lj.66946@fed1read03, mjmorgan2
@goaway.cox.unless.no.crap.net says...
Use of an apostrophe wouldn't apply to an abbreviation anyway

unless
you're
showing posession...
It ain't not gonna's work's them's way's like's he's done's it.

Right now I'm looking at a poster I got from a Canadian cartoonist

named
Steve Notley. It's called: "BOB'S QUICK GUIDE TO THE APOSTROPHE, YOU
IDIOTS."

And???

It's plural, not possessive.

Incidentally, your news reader is broken, it is placing the text your
are quoting after the signature; which means that my follow-up had to
have it pasted back in. To explain: the function of the signature
separator "-- " is to tell compliant news and mail software where the
signature begins so that it does not needless include it.

--
Ian G8ILZ

Old August 24th 04, 05:18 AM
Colin D

wrote:

Colin D wrote:

Tony Spadaro wrote:

[...]

I am ahead. Modern English (as in the UK, New Zealand, etc.) has
largely dropped the period in Dr, Mr etc. Americam mileage may be
different.

Colin D.