Problem w/ 50mm 1.8 lens (Nikon AF)

Old February 23rd 08, 04:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Steve[_15_]

Default Problem w/ 50mm 1.8 lens (Nikon AF)

I recently purchased two used lenses from different sources, and just
received them in the mail (yea!). Both are nikon: 85mm and 50mm 1.8
lenses. However, when comparing images from the two, I'm noticing that
the 50 is consistenly 1 exp position underexposed. I can compensate in
the auto modes by bumping up the exposure, so I first thought this
might just be a meteringt thing. However, I just tried a comparison
shooting outdoor shots in full manual. For the same shutter speed
(1/60), f/8 ap on the 85 gave the same as f/5 for the 50mm. f/8 on the
50 was a LOT darker...

Is this normal, and if not, what can I do (short of getting rid of the
lens) .

Thanks.
-Steve
Old February 23rd 08, 05:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jim

"Steve" wrote in message
I recently purchased two used lenses from different sources, and just
received them in the mail (yea!). Both are nikon: 85mm and 50mm 1.8
lenses. However, when comparing images from the two, I'm noticing that
the 50 is consistenly 1 exp position underexposed. I can compensate in
the auto modes by bumping up the exposure, so I first thought this
might just be a meteringt thing. However, I just tried a comparison
shooting outdoor shots in full manual. For the same shutter speed
(1/60), f/8 ap on the 85 gave the same as f/5 for the 50mm. f/8 on the
50 was a LOT darker...

Is this normal, and if not, what can I do (short of getting rid of the
lens) .

Thanks.
-Steve

No, it is not normal.... I check all my lenses from time to time just to
see if something like this has happened.
So far, they all do just fine.
Jim

Old February 23rd 08, 07:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ockham's Razor

In article ,
"Jim" wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Lucky you.

Any advice for the OP?

--
With or without religion, you would have good people doing
good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good

Steven Weinberg
Old February 23rd 08, 08:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
flambe

If you bought on Ebay you may be out of luck and have to learn to live with
exposure compensation.
Most real stores have time-limited policies on returns.

Old February 23rd 08, 08:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
frederick

Steve wrote:
I recently purchased two used lenses from different sources, and just
received them in the mail (yea!). Both are nikon: 85mm and 50mm 1.8
lenses. However, when comparing images from the two, I'm noticing that
the 50 is consistenly 1 exp position underexposed. I can compensate in
the auto modes by bumping up the exposure, so I first thought this
might just be a meteringt thing. However, I just tried a comparison
shooting outdoor shots in full manual. For the same shutter speed
(1/60), f/8 ap on the 85 gave the same as f/5 for the 50mm. f/8 on the
50 was a LOT darker...

Is this normal, and if not, what can I do (short of getting rid of the
lens) .

Thanks.
-Steve

Have you any other lenses to compare them with?
There is some variation between different lens designs in exposure,
that's normal - but 1 stop difference seems much more than normal.
I have read that the 85mm (IIRC the f1.4) tends to overexpose, with some
users dialing in EV -0.5 to compensate (I don't know if the same applies
for the f1.8 version)
Check the aperture blade alignment by looking through the lens set at
f22 and closing the aperture by moving the lever on the back of the
lens. Not many lenses have blades aligned perfectly resulting in a
perfect polygon as the lens is stopped down, but if it was bad enough to
cause 1 stop over exposure, you should see it. If you quickly release
the lever, the aperture should open up fully instantly.
Old February 23rd 08, 10:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jim

"Ockham's Razor" wrote in message
"Jim" wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Take it to a pawnshop. You buy a brand new one with a USA warranty for only
a little bit more than the repair costs.
Jim

Old February 25th 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tom Yost[_2_]

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 08:25:45 -0800 (PST), Steve
wrote:

I recently purchased two used lenses from different sources, and just
received them in the mail (yea!). Both are nikon: 85mm and 50mm 1.8
lenses. However, when comparing images from the two, I'm noticing that
the 50 is consistenly 1 exp position underexposed. I can compensate in
the auto modes by bumping up the exposure, so I first thought this
might just be a meteringt thing. However, I just tried a comparison
shooting outdoor shots in full manual. For the same shutter speed
(1/60), f/8 ap on the 85 gave the same as f/5 for the 50mm. f/8 on the
50 was a LOT darker...

Is this normal, and if not, what can I do (short of getting rid of the
lens) .

Thanks.
-Steve

There is not, by chance, a filter on the 50mm lens is there?