Focusing screen recommendation for Canon EOS 3?

Old February 10th 08, 02:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Polson[_2_]

Default Focusing screen recommendation for Canon EOS 3?

I would like to replace the focusing screen in my Canon EOS 3 body
with something more suitable for manual focus. I would like a "ground
glass" type of surface with a central split image portion, but one
that also allows me to use autofocus.

Any suggestions please?

Old February 11th 08, 01:36 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Jim

"Tony Polson" wrote in message
I would like to replace the focusing screen in my Canon EOS 3 body
with something more suitable for manual focus. I would like a "ground
glass" type of surface with a central split image portion, but one
that also allows me to use autofocus.

Any suggestions please?

If Canon doesn't make one, you are out of luck. Canon and Nikon
discontinued them
when they went to AF lenses so long ago. It could be that the split image
part disrupts
AF in some way.

Jim

Old February 11th 08, 06:31 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

"Jim" wrote in message
news

"Tony Polson" wrote in message
I would like to replace the focusing screen in my Canon EOS 3 body
with something more suitable for manual focus. I would like a "ground
glass" type of surface with a central split image portion, but one
that also allows me to use autofocus.

Any suggestions please?

If Canon doesn't make one, you are out of luck. Canon and Nikon
discontinued them
when they went to AF lenses so long ago. It could be that the split image
part disrupts
AF in some way.

Jim

They are a pretty simple part of any camera.....If you could find another
one that's a little larger than the size you need, you could grind it down
to fit and use it.....Nikon makes about 6 or 8 of them for my F5, and except
for the little tab that you use to lift them out (which could be glued on)
they are nothing but a piece of ground glass....

Old February 11th 08, 05:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Michael Benveniste

"Tony Polson" wrote:

I would like to replace the focusing screen in my Canon EOS 3 body
with something more suitable for manual focus. I would like a "ground
glass" type of surface with a central split image portion, but one
that also allows me to use autofocus.

Any suggestions please?

Canon gear is hardly my specialty, but I think a Canon EC-B focus
screen fits the bill. Another possibility is a Canon EC-I, which
is a "cross-hairs" center spot.

If I remember correctly, you're in the UK, so I'm afraid I can't
help with finding a vendor.

--
Michael Benveniste --

Old February 11th 08, 05:50 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Polson[_2_]

"Michael Benveniste" wrote:

"Tony Polson" wrote:

I would like to replace the focusing screen in my Canon EOS 3 body
with something more suitable for manual focus. I would like a "ground
glass" type of surface with a central split image portion, but one
that also allows me to use autofocus.

Any suggestions please?

Canon gear is hardly my specialty, but I think a Canon EC-B focus
screen fits the bill. Another possibility is a Canon EC-I, which
is a "cross-hairs" center spot.

Thanks Michael, that is exactly the information I needed!

If I remember correctly, you're in the UK, so I'm afraid I can't
help with finding a vendor.

You remember correctly - thank you! A quick Google search shows that
there are several UK suppliers with prices from GBP 10.00 which is
approximately US $20. I'm very happy to pay that.

Thank you very much for your reply.