New / Upcoming Cameras (Nikons in particular)

Old April 2nd 07, 05:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Rubin

Default New / Upcoming Cameras (Nikons in particular)

"Rich" writes:
Plus, resolution exceeding that of a Bayer 6 meg colour sensor owing
to a lack of AA filter.

The AA filter should stay on. I can imagine some applications for a
high res camera with no AA filter, but those are somewhat specialized.
Old April 2nd 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allen

Manzoorul Hassan wrote:
On Mar 29, 1:19 pm, "Jim" wrote:
"Manzoorul Hassan" wrote in message

ups.com...I got a D50 about a year and a half ago and am starting to look around
hoping to buy my next camera sometime next year.
While I'm waiting, I would like to do some research. Andy idea where I
can go to see what NIkon might be coming out with over the next 12
months?
The D200 was available, but way too out of my budget, when I got my
D50. But both the D80 and the D40 came out since. I now wish I'd
waited a few months for the D80 (
Thanx for any & all help.
- manzoor

Only buy a new camera when it will do something that you want to do but
cannot with your current camera.

There is always a new model on the horizon with ever more new and unususal
features.

Jim

I'm novice enough of a photographer to not know what features to look
for ( I am trying out what I have with my D50. I have finally bought
a 24-85mm Lens (f/2.8-4D).

I was hoping, by learning what new models are coming out, and with
what features, I could compare how far my D50 is from it and be able
to decide if I really needed that new camera.

But you're right - I should not look for what might be out there (or
coming), but concentrate on what I've got and what I can do with it.
--
- http://flickr.com/photos/smriti/ -- http://www.yesterdayslife.com/photofront/manzoor
-

Manzoorul--

I enjoyed your Austin pictures; I came to Austin to attend UT in 1948
and I'm still here. Two of your photos are labeled "Mountain Laurel??";
They are Texas Mountain Laurel, Sophora secundiflora, which have
little resemblance to the mountain laurels found in the Appalachians,
but apparently some of the early settlers thought otherwise and gave
them their common name.

That's a good quote from Dijkstra--a very brilliant man.

Allen
Old April 2nd 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 11:31:19 -0400, ASAAR wrote:

On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 08:59:49 -0600, timeOday wrote:

I wonder how much sensitivity would be gained by removing the color
filter from the sensor?

Even so, why only 4 MP? I know all the cool kids have disdain for
megapixels now, but 4 MP really seems unnecessarily low for a SLR.

I believe that Paul R. (who hopes to see a 4mp monochrome version
of the D200) has on numerous occasions professed a desire for low
resolution B&W cameras because they might have extremely high usable
ISOs making them excellent low light cameras. What more could a
street shooter desire? I'd also be interested in such a camera. I

Interested, sure, but willing to pay $3000+ for one (a monochrome
D2Hs, which is what Paul says he's thinking of)?

think that on occasion he's also mentioned much lower resolution
sensors, but those were probably for smaller sensors used in P&Ses.
Putting a large 1mp or 2mp sensor in a D200 would be even better for
low light, but a 4mp sensor is about as low as one could credibly
ask for, since a D200 (or any DSLR) that struggles to produce sharp
8"x10" prints wouldn't get too many buyers. That said, Nikon won't
do it because whatever resources they'd need to use to create such a
camera would undoubtedly create more revenue if used for whatever
other products they're currently working on.

White House aide Karl Rove brought
down the house at the correspondents'
dinner Wednesday when he performed
a rap song as MC Rove. The number
was awkward from the start. He asked
for a downbeat and the deejay read
him the president's approval rating.
Old April 2nd 07, 10:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 11:25:07 -0700, Bill Funk wrote:

I believe that Paul R. (who hopes to see a 4mp monochrome version
of the D200) has on numerous occasions professed a desire for low
resolution B&W cameras because they might have extremely high usable
ISOs making them excellent low light cameras. What more could a
street shooter desire? I'd also be interested in such a camera. I

Interested, sure, but willing to pay $3000+ for one (a monochrome
D2Hs, which is what Paul says he's thinking of)?

Good point. I wouldn't be willing to pay anywhere near that
amount. Maybe the recently discontinued D50 retooled as a D55x with
a 4mp B&W APS-C sensor. Towards the end of its life the D50 body
sold for $450 new and the D40 is a touch above that. Add the
ability to selectively pass IR and my guess is that they'd sell a
good number of D55x bodies priced at $750, and I doubt that it would
cannibalize any significant number of D40, D40x, D80 or D200 sales.
Even though most people wouldn't need a fast 30mm or 50mm lens with
it, I can't see a large percentage of D55x owners not adding such a
lens. It might even make a Leica owner envious and Rita curse the
day she decided to part with her beloved Noct Nikkor.

Old April 7th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Manzoorul Hassan

On Apr 1, 9:03 pm, louise wrote:
ManzoorulHassanwrote:
On Mar 29, 1:19 pm, "Jim" wrote:
"ManzoorulHassan" wrote in message

roups.com...Igot a D50 about a year and a half ago and am starting to look around
[...]

Very nice photos - were some of those taken in the Japanese
Gardens in Portland by any chance?

The Japanese Garden pix ar actually in FT Worth TX.

In any case, my real question is how did you get such a
lovely presentation setup on Flckr?

???? I didn't do anything special. Flickr did most of it for me.

Thanks.

Louise

- manzoor

Old April 7th 07, 04:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Manzoorul Hassan

On Apr 2, 8:59 am, Allen wrote:
ManzoorulHassanwrote:
On Mar 29, 1:19 pm, "Jim" wrote:
[...]

Our stories aren't too different. I too came to attend UT in '89 and
am still here (and loving every non-summer moment of it) ;o)

Thanx for the correction. I have updated the tags (http://flickr.com/
photos/smriti/tags/texasmountainlaurel/).