Flickr vs. Photobucket

Old February 22nd 07, 06:39 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.photo.digital
Richard Fangnail

Default Flickr vs. Photobucket

I saw some articles saying Photobucket is used far more than Flickr.
But I think that's usage of certain photos and not the number of
photos on each site. Myspace apparently utilizes photobucket a huge
amount.

I searched for "Berkeley" in both sites and photobucket only found
about 2,500 but flickr found about 100,000.

Old February 22nd 07, 08:50 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

Richard Fangnail wrote:
I saw some articles saying Photobucket is used far more than Flickr.
But I think that's usage of certain photos and not the number of
photos on each site. Myspace apparently utilizes photobucket a huge
amount.

I searched for "Berkeley" in both sites and photobucket only found
about 2,500 but flickr found about 100,000.

I signed up with flickr. Is ok for creating and sharing a public album,
but sharing with family is too much effort. I looked at Photobucket, but
the only way I'm going to find out how that works is to register. I'm
looking for a place to upload a picture and make it available to others
via a link. I don't want to have to register them, I'll send the email
and all they have to do is click on the link. Does Photobucket or
anything else do that.
Dave Cohen
Old February 22nd 07, 10:09 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.photo.digital
Richard Fangnail

On Feb 22, 12:50 pm, Dave Cohen wrote:
RichardFangnailwrote:
I saw some articles saying Photobucket is used far more than Flickr.
But I think that's usage of certain photos and not the number of
photos on each site. Myspace apparently utilizes photobucket a huge
amount.

I searched for "Berkeley" in both sites and photobucket only found
about 2,500 but flickr found about 100,000.

I signed up with flickr. Is ok for creating and sharing a public album,
but sharing with family is too much effort. I looked at Photobucket, but
the only way I'm going to find out how that works is to register. I'm
looking for a place to upload a picture and make it available to others
via a link. I don't want to have to register them, I'll send the email
and all they have to do is click on the link. Does Photobucket or
anything else do that.
Dave Cohen

I think you have to register to do that with flickr or bucket.
Perhaps tinyimage would do that.

Old February 22nd 07, 10:13 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.photo.digital
Daniel Silevitch

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 20:50:23 GMT, Dave Cohen wrote:
Richard Fangnail wrote:
I saw some articles saying Photobucket is used far more than Flickr.
But I think that's usage of certain photos and not the number of
photos on each site. Myspace apparently utilizes photobucket a huge
amount.

I searched for "Berkeley" in both sites and photobucket only found
about 2,500 but flickr found about 100,000.

I signed up with flickr. Is ok for creating and sharing a public album,
but sharing with family is too much effort. I looked at Photobucket, but
the only way I'm going to find out how that works is to register. I'm
looking for a place to upload a picture and make it available to others
via a link. I don't want to have to register them, I'll send the email
and all they have to do is click on the link. Does Photobucket or
anything else do that.

imageshack.us lets you post pictures without registering.

-dms

Old February 22nd 07, 10:29 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.photo.digital
Manzoorul Hassan

to me sharing on both seemed about the same, but Photobucket seems to
have a lot more add (flickr has none).

Of course, if you want to share a lot of pix, flickr will cost you $20/
yr.

- manzoor

Old February 22nd 07, 10:49 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Richard Fangnail wrote:
I saw some articles saying Photobucket is used far more than Flickr.
But I think that's usage of certain photos and not the number of
photos on each site. Myspace apparently utilizes photobucket a huge
amount.

I searched for "Berkeley" in both sites and photobucket only found
about 2,500 but flickr found about 100,000.

I signed up with flickr. Is ok for creating and sharing a public album,
but sharing with family is too much effort. I looked at Photobucket, but
the only way I'm going to find out how that works is to register. I'm
looking for a place to upload a picture and make it available to others
via a link. I don't want to have to register them, I'll send the email
and all they have to do is click on the link. Does Photobucket or
anything else do that.
Dave Cohen

Umm... You can do all this with Flickr. You have to register in order
to post pictures, but people you want to send the pictures to DO NOT
have to register. You just send out a link to your account, to a
picture set, or to an individual picture, and the recipient just
clicks on it and sees the picture.

In your post you say that Flickr is "ok for creating and sharing a
public album", and that's exactly what you want, right? So what's the
problem?

I've seen a bunch of photo sharing sites, and Flickr is the best by
far. Other sites make people register just to view pictures, or they
degrade picture quality to save space, or do other annoying things.
Flickr is simple and easy.

-Gniewko

Old February 23rd 07, 12:51 AM posted to misc.consumers,rec.photo.digital
Paul Mitchum

Dave Cohen wrote:

Richard Fangnail wrote:
I saw some articles saying Photobucket is used far more than Flickr.
But I think that's usage of certain photos and not the number of
photos on each site. Myspace apparently utilizes photobucket a huge
amount.

I searched for "Berkeley" in both sites and photobucket only found
about 2,500 but flickr found about 100,000.

I signed up with flickr. Is ok for creating and sharing a public album,
but sharing with family is too much effort. [..]

To share private photos on flickr, you make guest passes, which you can
read about he http://www.flickr.com/help/guestpass/

It's not hard at all. The most complicated part is that guest passes
only apply to sets, so you have to make a set before you can issue
passes to it.
Old February 23rd 07, 01:54 AM posted to misc.consumers,rec.photo.digital
Bob Ward

Richard Fangnail wrote:
I saw some articles saying Photobucket is used far more than Flickr.
But I think that's usage of certain photos and not the number of
photos on each site. Myspace apparently utilizes photobucket a huge
amount.

I searched for "Berkeley" in both sites and photobucket only found
about 2,500 but flickr found about 100,000.

I signed up with flickr. Is ok for creating and sharing a public album,
but sharing with family is too much effort. I looked at Photobucket, but
the only way I'm going to find out how that works is to register. I'm
looking for a place to upload a picture and make it available to others
via a link. I don't want to have to register them, I'll send the email
and all they have to do is click on the link. Does Photobucket or
anything else do that.
Dave Cohen

Tinypic.com might do the trick...

Old February 23rd 07, 11:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Ortt

In the uk I use photobox and they are superb.

You can make your albums public and then anybody can view them for free
without having to register.

Furthermore if you do use them for their printing services you get 50mb of
storage space for every order you place which means I am now up to about
2GB.

The only downside is that they don't offer a huge amount of storage space as
standard but they are certainly worth a look.

ups.com...

Old February 23rd 07, 12:27 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.photo.digital
Shawn Hirn

In article jmnDh.7887$am1.1900@trndny01,
Dave Cohen wrote:

Richard Fangnail wrote:
I saw some articles saying Photobucket is used far more than Flickr.
But I think that's usage of certain photos and not the number of
photos on each site. Myspace apparently utilizes photobucket a huge
amount.

I searched for "Berkeley" in both sites and photobucket only found
about 2,500 but flickr found about 100,000.

I signed up with flickr. Is ok for creating and sharing a public album,
but sharing with family is too much effort. I looked at Photobucket, but
the only way I'm going to find out how that works is to register. I'm
looking for a place to upload a picture and make it available to others
via a link. I don't want to have to register them, I'll send the email
and all they have to do is click on the link. Does Photobucket or
anything else do that.
Dave Cohen

Check with your ISP.

You might also try a Yahoo group.