Protection for Online Images

Old January 3rd 07, 01:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
BJ

Default Protection for Online Images

Hi,

I am new for online albums. I have few questions about protection of
images:

1. Is there any free service comparable to Digimarc?

2. If I will embed some watermark on images, will I be able to track
who all are using it (at least online)?

3. Any other methods of copyright protection beside Watermark.

Any links will help.
Thanks in advance.

With Rgds,
BJ

Old January 3rd 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G

"BJ" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi,

I am new for online albums. I have few questions about protection of
images:

1. Is there any free service comparable to Digimarc?

2. If I will embed some watermark on images, will I be able to track
who all are using it (at least online)?

3. Any other methods of copyright protection beside Watermark.

Any links will help.
Thanks in advance.

With Rgds,
BJ

Hi

Plagerism is the most sincere form of flattery.

Roy G

Old January 3rd 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
jeremy

"BJ" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi,

I am new for online albums. I have few questions about protection of
images:

1. Is there any free service comparable to Digimarc?

2. If I will embed some watermark on images, will I be able to track
who all are using it (at least online)?

3. Any other methods of copyright protection beside Watermark.

Any links will help.
Thanks in advance.

With Rgds,
BJ

Unless you intend to pay expensive lawyers to sue in distant jurisdictions
for copyright violations, you just may be wasting your time with Digimark.

I operate several web sites, and I've had good results with just posting
low-resolution, smaller-sized images. They have no value as prints, and
even if one of them ends up pirated on someone else's web site, the loss to
me is minimal.

Life is too short to spend it pursuing copyright violators--unless the
compromised images have some unique value. Much as I hate to say this,
everybody is lifting stuff from everybody these days. If the recording
industry, with all its' financial and legal resources, is having trouble
plugging the leaks, how much less can you or I succeed?

Old January 3rd 07, 08:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Stewy

In article om,
"BJ" wrote:

Hi,

I am new for online albums. I have few questions about protection of
images:

1. Is there any free service comparable to Digimarc?

2. If I will embed some watermark on images, will I be able to track
who all are using it (at least online)?

3. Any other methods of copyright protection beside Watermark.

Any links will help.
Thanks in advance.

I think you will find that 99.9% of the people 'stealing' your
one-in-a-lifetime-shot wants it because its a great image and use it
either as wallpaper or screensaver.

If you want to display pictures online use 800x600 pixels or maybe
1024x768 at 72 ppi, maximum compression. If they're lucky, these
'thieves' should be able to make a decent postcard or smaller.

If you don't want your pictures copied, don't post.
Old January 3rd 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Daryl Bryant

http://www.digimarc.com/tech/dwm.asp also check out their Steganography
page.

Both the Digimarc and visible logos or circled "C" can be removed easily by
the malicious scum-wads

some additional info about watermarking --
http://digitaljournalist.org/issue0105/heller.htm

--
Bing Bang Boom Voila Done!

Old January 4th 07, 01:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Lucke

In article om, BJ
wrote:

Hi,

I am new for online albums. I have few questions about protection of
images:

1. Is there any free service comparable to Digimarc?

2. If I will embed some watermark on images, will I be able to track
who all are using it (at least online)?

3. Any other methods of copyright protection beside Watermark.

Any links will help.
Thanks in advance.

Well, don't upload them in a size/resolution that is worthwhile ripping
off. If you upload samples in medium resolution (40-60%) .jpgs at 72
dpi (screen resolution) at no more than 320x480, it's unlikely that
they will be useful to very many people for rip-off purposes, yet they
will still be good enough for online viewing. Very few online useages
require high-resolution.

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard
Old January 5th 07, 12:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Ken Lucke exclaimed (04-Jan-07 10:05 AM):
In article om, BJ
wrote:

Hi,

I am new for online albums. I have few questions about protection of
images:

1. Is there any free service comparable to Digimarc?

2. If I will embed some watermark on images, will I be able to track
who all are using it (at least online)?

3. Any other methods of copyright protection beside Watermark.

Any links will help.
Thanks in advance.

Well, don't upload them in a size/resolution that is worthwhile ripping
off. If you upload samples in medium resolution (40-60%) .jpgs at 72
dpi (screen resolution) at no more than 320x480, it's unlikely that
they will be useful to very many people for rip-off purposes, yet they
will still be good enough for online viewing. Very few online useages
require high-resolution.

I do mine at 640x480, many people have bigger screen/resolutions these
days, and 320x480 is just too small - it's pretty much thumbnail size on
my 1600x1200 screen.

I just stick a slightly obnoxious copyright at the bottom of all my
posted pictures. Sure, somebody can crop or photoshop it off, but why
bother for something that might make a decent 4x6, but won't go any
bigger than that gracefully?

jmc
Old January 15th 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Manzoorul Hassan

BJ wrote:
Hi,

I am new for online albums. I have few questions about protection of
images:

1. Is there any free service comparable to Digimarc?

2. If I will embed some watermark on images, will I be able to track
who all are using it (at least online)?

3. Any other methods of copyright protection beside Watermark.

Any links will help.
Thanks in advance.

With Rgds,
BJ

I'm in a similar situation - I am a newbie Photographer and post my
pictures online. Some are access protected (these are more personal in
nature of family and friends) and some are not (no people - usually).

I have thought of doing something to be able to track my pictures
(something like a homing device if you will). But I don't think the
technology exists to do what I want to do. Also, the legal route seems
quite complicated / expensive (since my pictures don't generate any
money).

So, I've decided to watermark my pictures. The fact that I am not very
good helped with this decision. I doubt anyone would find my work worth
all the trouble.

-- manzoor
- http://flickr.com/photos/smriti -- http://ChobiSmriti.BlogSpot.com/ -

Old January 16th 07, 05:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Little Juice Coupe

If you don't want your images copies don't put them on the web. Anything you
can do to stop it from happening can easily be circumvented. Usually by
pressing the print screen button, using a screen capture program, or pulling
it out of your web browsers cache.

If you want to keep what they can do with to a minimum make the images
small, add a ghosted (c) copyright symbol over the top (just light enough to
see without messing up the picture too bad) and then place a copyright
notice below the image.

Beyond that get on with life.

ljc

"Manzoorul Hassan" wrote in message