Inkjet printers (slightly OT)

Old October 26th 15, 09:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Inkjet printers (slightly OT)

In article , Vir
Campestris wrote:

Epsons have fixed print heads and usually are beyond economic repair
when they have problems.

I took mine apart and soaked it in meths. It was OK for a couple of
years. I need to do it again now though.

where did you get the meth?
Old October 26th 15, 10:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 26 Oct 2015 21:17:49 +0000, Vir Campestris
wrote:

On 26/10/2015 14:29, Bob Minchin wrote:
Epsons have fixed print heads and usually are beyond economic repair
when they have problems.

I took mine apart and soaked it in meths. It was OK for a couple of
years. I need to do it again now though.

There is a lot of information out there about cleaning Epson print
heads. All kinds of stuff has been suggested: ammonia, isopropyly
alcohol, and particularly Windex window cleaner. I've never heard of
straight meths though.

What kind of printer is it?

Eric Stevens
Old October 26th 15, 10:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital
Martin Brown

On 26/10/2015 14:23, newshound wrote:
I occasionally want to print drawings at A3, but my ancient Laserjet
8000 has just died. I swore I would never buy another inkjet, but all
the refurb A3 mono lasers are large, expensive, or both, whereas there
are several smaller, cheaper colour inkjets on the market. I guess I
might use one occasionally for photos or posters but I'm not worried
about exhibition quality. What *really* worries me is print head dryout
because I might only use it once a week.

Does anyone have any views / experience on current Epson / Canon / HP or
other A3 printers?

Mines now a Canon Pixma ix6550 which was on offer when I got it.

It has the advantage of taking the same ink cartridges as another
multifunction printer that I own. I use third party clone inks as I
don't need it photo real or much longevity. It replaced an i9000 that
lost its magic smoke after more than a decade of use.

Both have survived intermittent heavy use without issue and latterly on
cloned inks (though not the very cheapest ones).

Martin Brown
Old October 26th 15, 11:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-10-26 22:53:43 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

wrote:

On 26/10/2015 14:29, Bob Minchin wrote:
Epsons have fixed print heads and usually are beyond economic repair
when they have problems.

I took mine apart and soaked it in meths. It was OK for a couple of
years. I need to do it again now though.

There is a lot of information out there about cleaning Epson print
heads. All kinds of stuff has been suggested: ammonia, isopropyly
alcohol, and particularly Windex window cleaner. I've never heard of
straight meths though.

What kind of printer is it?

My question would be "Which meth product?". Methylene chloride is a
pretty standard ingredient in cleaning solvents.

http://hpd.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/house...queryx=75-09-2

I believe the reference was to methyl alcohol (methanol) which is
available in many countries as methylated spirits, better known in the
US as denatured alcohol. Due to consumption abuse the methanol content
has been reduced, and in some countries banned.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol

Savageduck

Old October 26th 15, 11:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 10/26/2015 10:23 AM, newshound wrote:
I occasionally want to print drawings at A3, but my ancient Laserjet
8000 has just died. I swore I would never buy another inkjet, but all
the refurb A3 mono lasers are large, expensive, or both, whereas there
are several smaller, cheaper colour inkjets on the market. I guess I
might use one occasionally for photos or posters but I'm not worried
about exhibition quality. What *really* worries me is print head dryout
because I might only use it once a week.

Does anyone have any views / experience on current Epson / Canon / HP or
other A3 printers?

Don't need duplex. (A3 scanning might very occasionally be handy).

TIA

About seven years ago my old office Epson died. I replaced it with a
used 2100 laser, which works fine. I don't use it much anymore, but the
cartridge just needs replacement. I just ordered a new refill from
Cartridge World for $90.

--
PeterN
Old October 27th 15, 12:38 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 10:37:50 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"nospam" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Vir
Campestris wrote:

Epsons have fixed print heads and usually are beyond economic repair
when they have problems.

I took mine apart and soaked it in meths. It was OK for a couple of
years. I need to do it again now though.

where did you get the meth?

That's the usual abbreviation for mentholated spirits, basically ethanol.

Oops.

Ethanol (ethyl alcohol) is drinkable and as such is normally taxed all
over the world. To render industrial grade ethyl alcohol undrinkable
(and hence not taxable) it is commonly contaminated with 25%-35%
Methyl alcohol which while drinkable, will cause brain damage. It is
usually dyed purple to warn the would be alcoholic. The dye can be
largely removed by filtering through a loaf of bread and desperate
alcoholics hopefully think that renders it safe to drink. It doesn't
though.

In any case, it is meth = methylated spirits, where spirits = ethanol.

p.s. My spell checker thinks it is mentholated too.

Eric Stevens
Old October 27th 15, 12:38 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 10:44:58 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , Vir
Campestris wrote:

Epsons have fixed print heads and usually are beyond economic repair
when they have problems.

I took mine apart and soaked it in meths. It was OK for a couple of
years. I need to do it again now though.

where did you get the meth?

That's the usual abbreviation for mentholated spirits, basically ethanol.

Metholated, ****ing spelling checker.

MethYlated!

Eric Stevens
Old October 27th 15, 12:40 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

On 26/10/2015 14:29, Bob Minchin wrote:
Epsons have fixed print heads and usually are beyond economic repair
when they have problems.

I took mine apart and soaked it in meths. It was OK for a couple of
years. I need to do it again now though.

There is a lot of information out there about cleaning Epson print
heads. All kinds of stuff has been suggested: ammonia, isopropyly
alcohol, and particularly Windex window cleaner. I've never heard of
straight meths though.

What kind of printer is it?

My question would be "Which meth product?". Methylene chloride is a
pretty standard ingredient in cleaning solvents.

http://hpd.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/house...queryx=75-09-2

As commonly used in paint stripper. Not anywhere near my print head
thank you!

Eric Stevens
Old October 27th 15, 01:57 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

Rod Speed wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , Vir
Campestris wrote:

Epsons have fixed print heads and usually are beyond economic repair
when they have problems.

I took mine apart and soaked it in meths. It was OK for a couple of
years. I need to do it again now though.

where did you get the meth?

That's the usual abbreviation for mentholated spirits, basically ethanol.

Metholated, ****ing spelling checker.

That sounds like methyl alcohol, which is toxic. Do not drink or inhale
it. There is a folk song about adulterated liquor with methyl alcohol:
"killed my pappy, drove my mammy stone blind".

Mort Linder
Old October 27th 15, 05:59 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Mort
escribió:

That sounds like methyl alcohol, which is toxic. Do not drink or inhale
it.

In the UK, it's coloured purple and has an unpleasant taste added to
deter anyone from drinking it.

It's sold in corner shops in poorer areas in cans labelled "Ice White",
"Diamond White" or similar*.

* this may or may not be true.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!