Professionals: How Do You Ask for a Raise?????

Old December 22nd 14, 03:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
(PeteCresswell)

Default Professionals: How Do You Ask for a Raise?????

Per Paul:
I've been an amateur/semi-pro digital photographer for
many years now, and have gotten good at the art of photography.

I do one Christmas party for a largish corporation, for $100. It
ends up being about 4 hours of my time, with me downloading all
the images into their laptop.

I've don't the gig 4 times now, and was thinking of raising my
rate.

What would be a reasonable raise, and how should I ask for it?

I have no clue, but would offer up this: My grandson is getting
married next November and they just hired the wedding photographer for
$2,500. And that was the cheap one.... the guy that every talks about
wanted $5,000.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old December 22nd 14, 05:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo [_3_]

On 12/22/2014 08:35 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Paul:
I've been an amateur/semi-pro digital photographer for
many years now, and have gotten good at the art of photography.

I do one Christmas party for a largish corporation, for $100. It
ends up being about 4 hours of my time, with me downloading all
the images into their laptop.

I've don't the gig 4 times now, and was thinking of raising my
rate.

What would be a reasonable raise, and how should I ask for it?

I have no clue, but would offer up this: My grandson is getting
married next November and they just hired the wedding photographer for
$2,500. And that was the cheap one.... the guy that every talks about
wanted $5,000.

One wedding I went to was pretty much ruined by a professional photographer.

After the ceremony, we all had to wait over an hour for the dinner and
reception.

He had to get every possible combination of "standard pose" photos of
all the folks in the wedding party.

Some of the best wedding photos I've seen were just good candid shots
taken by a guest who just happened to know how to use a camera.

Although it was way too funny to have ruined things, I still recall my
own wedding. As I anxiously watched my wife walking down the isle, the
photographer stepped into the isle to photographer her.

I got to see his butt and did not get to see her smiling face until I
got the photo.
Old December 22nd 14, 07:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , philoƯ
wrote:

Some of the best wedding photos I've seen were just good candid shots
taken by a guest who just happened to know how to use a camera.

i've been to events where there were disposable film cameras on each
table and the guests took photos of whatever they wanted.

the cameras were collected and *those* photos were the ones that
captured the event with cherished memories, far more than any paid
professional and their boring canned poses.

it's also dirt cheap in comparison.
Old December 22nd 14, 07:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Phillip Helbig[_2_]

In article , nospam
writes:

Some of the best wedding photos I've seen were just good candid shots
taken by a guest who just happened to know how to use a camera.

Reminds me of the fact that the iconic Ché Guevara portrait was a
spur-of-the-moment snapshot.

i've been to events where there were disposable film cameras on each
table and the guests took photos of whatever they wanted.

the cameras were collected and *those* photos were the ones that
captured the event with cherished memories, far more than any paid
professional and their boring canned poses.

One of the most iconic images in film is the "dance of death" at the end
of Bergman's THE SEVENTH SEAL. The interesting thing is that this
wasn't in the manuscript. The film had been finished and was literally
in the can and most of the actors had gone home. Bergman saw a
wonderful sky and wanted to include a scene against it in the film. So
some of the crew got into the actors' costumes and the scene was shot on
the spur of the moment, in one take, with no rehearsal, with people who
were not even actors. Of course, Bergman's genius was to seize the
moment. As Pasteur said, luck favours the well prepared. Bergman and
Kubrick were both known for the composition, for their use of light etc.
Kubrick sometimes shot scenes several hundred times. Bergman usually
once or twice. The end results are comparable, but Bergman remained on
speaking terms with his actors (and on other terms as well with his
actresses, having been romantically involved with almost all, married to
most, and fathered children for most).

Old December 23rd 14, 02:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo [_3_]

On 12/22/2014 12:48 PM, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:

snip

[...]

Wow thanks for the info . I am going to look for that film.

Speaking of films...last year I saw Dr. Strangelove on the big screen.

It stood the test of time better than ever. Later I read-up on it and
learned that Kubric was known to trick actors in order to get what he
wanted.

Apparently he asked George C Scott to do the scene where he was bragging
about his pilots....completely "over the top" and off camera...just for fun.

Of course the camera was rolling and we got a wonderful movie.