OT "Patents"

Old December 16th 04, 07:46 PM
Gregory Blank

Default OT "Patents"

Can one patent an idea without having a prototype
or a specific method for producing the idea as
a manifest item. I have a great idea probably worth
millions but I don't know electronics or phone
technology.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old December 16th 04, 08:12 PM
Tom Phillips

Gregory Blank wrote:

Can one patent an idea without having a prototype
or a specific method for producing the idea as
a manifest item. I have a great idea probably worth
millions but I don't know electronics or phone
technology.

I think you have to provide specifics when you
apply for a patent. IOW I don't think you can
say "a new method of telephone communication is
my idea" but not have a basic adaptation, i.e.,
an invention of some sort.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

Old December 16th 04, 11:06 PM
Anna Nimotti

Gregory Blank wrote:

Can one patent an idea without having a prototype
or a specific method for producing the idea as
a manifest item. I have a great idea probably worth
millions but I don't know electronics or phone
technology.

You need advice from a patent agent.

Depending on your jurisdiction, you can probably file a patent
application without having built a prototype, but you will have to, in
due course, supply evidence that a working example of your invention has
existed somewhere, sometime. It is quite acceptable to hire skilled
persons to build a prototype for you without compromising on your
inventorship rights so long as they are following your instructions and
using their own pre-existing skills (the "prior art").

Whatever you do, do not disclose your invention to anyone until you have
taken advice form a patent agent/attorney.

--
a n n @ n i m o t t i . p o r t 5 . c o m
Old December 17th 04, 01:28 AM

Just tell it to me. I'll be sure you get credit.

Old December 17th 04, 04:55 AM
David Nebenzahl

On 12/16/2004 11:46 AM Gregory Blank spake thus:

Can one patent an idea without having a prototype
or a specific method for producing the idea as
a manifest item. I have a great idea probably worth
millions but I don't know electronics or phone
technology.

You've already said too much. As we speak--OK, as I type--the minions at
Nebenzahl Laboratories, GmbH are working overtime to beat you to the patent
office.

--
Need new sig

Old December 17th 04, 06:07 PM

In the United States there is generally no requirement for a working
prototype in order to receive a patent on an invention. The law
(35USC112 paragraph 1) does require that the invention be enabled:

"The specification shall contain a written description of the
invention, and of the manner and process of making and using it, in
such full, clear, concise, and exact terms as to enable any person
skilled in the art to which it pertains, or with which it is most
nearly connected, to make and use the same, and shall set forth the
best mode contemplated by the inventor of carrying out his invention."

In other words, a naked idea is not patentable. It must be a fully
dressed invention.

Richard Tanzer
patent agent

Old December 19th 04, 04:27 PM
Mike King

As I recall the US Patent office does have a website and most likely GOOGLE
will turn it up. My guess is they would have a FAQ as well and there are
many offline sources for patent attorneys (the yellow pages, etc.).
Whatever you do, don't go to one of the outfits that advertise on TV!

--
darkroommike

----------
"Gregory Blank" wrote in message
In article . com,
wrote:

In the United States there is generally no requirement for a working
prototype in order to receive a patent on an invention. The law
(35USC112 paragraph 1) does require that the invention be enabled:

"The specification shall contain a written description of the
invention, and of the manner and process of making and using it, in
such full, clear, concise, and exact terms as to enable any person
skilled in the art to which it pertains, or with which it is most
nearly connected, to make and use the same, and shall set forth the
best mode contemplated by the inventor of carrying out his invention."

In other words, a naked idea is not patentable. It must be a fully
dressed invention.

Richard Tanzer
patent agent

Thanks that was the answer I was looking for which means I need
additional help finding someone to build my idea.

--
LF Website @
http://members.verizon.net/~gregoryblank

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

Old December 21st 04, 07:53 AM
Richard Knoppow

The US Patent and Trade Mark Office is at: http://www.uspto.gov It
does have some basic information about obtaining patents but a good
patent attorney should be consulted if you are serously interested in
this. One can download every patent ever issued by the US patent office
from this site although those issued before 1975 are available only as
FAX TIFF files for which you need a plug-in viewer. The best IMHO is
Alternatiff, findable with a Google search. The image viewer in Windows
will view and print them off line.
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Old December 21st 04, 12:31 PM
dr bob

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message
oups.com...
The US Patent and Trade Mark Office is at: http://www.uspto.gov It
does have some basic information about obtaining patents but a good
patent attorney should be consulted if you are serously interested in
this. One can download every patent ever issued by the US patent office
from this site although those issued before 1975 are available only as
FAX TIFF files for which you need a plug-in viewer. The best IMHO is
Alternatiff, findable with a Google search. The image viewer in Windows
will view and print them off line.
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Hey! This link works! When first started "surfing" about 1996, this
search was a big problem. Slow servers and they wanted payment(??). Now I
can find my major patent with a couple of clicks. Wan'ta see? Try No.
4,374,014

Truly, dr bob.