Is the Kodak DX7630 a decent camera?

Old July 21st 04, 03:08 AM
Don R

Default Is the Kodak DX7630 a decent camera?

Enjoy your new camera. I really think you will love it.

"Hap Shaughnessy" wrote in message
Don R:

Thanks for your speedy reply.

I didn't mind the Kodak DX7630 separate lens cover that much comparing
it the ultra thin plastic shutters that appear very delicate on most
other digicams.

Ah, yes. Proprietory batteries are not a stock item at my camera shop,
$49.99Cdn. But, less expensive than Canon S60 batteries, $79.99Cdn.
Ouch. Both types are a special order. PITA.

I did check into the DX7440 but the 1/2.5 " CCD didn't impress.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0210/02...ensorsizes.asp The DX7440
for me is only available online from FutureShop.ca. I prerer to buy a
camera in person in case I need customer support.

Thanks for your offer to send pics. But, the photos found at Jeff
Keller's Digital Camera Resource Page for the Kodak EasyShare DX7630
http://tinyurl.com/5zzda & Steve's Digicams DX7630 Review
http://tinyurl.com/4xgcx tell the tale.

This is a good looking solid little camera that could keep me happy
for a very long time.

I'm burnt out after months of research and needed a little push now
that the best deal I could ever hope for is staring me in the face.

Take care and stay safe,

Hap

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 22:36:06 GMT, "Don R"
wrote:

The Kodak DX7630 is an excellent camera. I have had mine for about 2

months,
have taken hundreds of pictures with it, and am very pleased. What do I
like: Kodak color; the ability to override automatic settings although it
does a great job in auto; small, light, and easy to carry; Long battery
life. Dislikes: separate lens cover, proprietary battery, only 3X zoom.

Take
a look at the new Kodak DX7440. Has integrated lens cover with the 4X

zoom
at 4 Megapixels. Otherwise, same as DX7630. I can email you some pictures

took at Glacier National Park and Yellowstone, if you email me with your
request.

"Hap Shaughnessy" wrote in message
.. .
A Sony DCS-W1 that was brought into my local camera store for me to
try was defective right out of the box. The lens wouldn't even retract
after it was powered off. I was so disappointed. That was it for Sony
products.

I'm back to Canon as a best choice for me

The $699.99CAD Canon S60 at first look was attractive but has been cut
from my short list.

The very popular Canon A80's 1.5" LCD monitor is too small for my
aging peepers even though it's use of CompactFlash memory cards and
"AA" batteries is such a huge plus.

I was planning to wait for the next model in that series, possibly
called the A90, hoping for a 1.8" monitor and an increase to 5MB's
keeping the same sized 1/1.8" CCD sensor.

I have to work with the available cameras offered in my small town's
shops and have also been taking a good look at the Kodak DX7630.

It has been selling for $699.99CAD but will go on sale for $499.99CAD
tomorrow.

A $200.00CAD saving is a very good deal even though it uses a ^%#&(@
priority battery pack.

Is the Kodak DX7630 worth considering? I have read mixed reviews about
noise, over-processing and overly high JPEG compression.

TIA,

Hap