LOOKING FOR LOW PRICE QUALITY DIGITAL CAMERA

Old September 29th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default LOOKING FOR LOW PRICE QUALITY DIGITAL CAMERA

Hi,

I am looking to buy a new digital camera.

I am completely ignorant about digital brand cameras. I have an old
Cannon sure shot camera presently, which I rarely use.

It was suggested that I purchase a digital camera by the local film
developing place.
I do not know anything about different brands and what the advantage
of having a digital camera versus the film cameras..my only knowledge
is five pixels.

I wish to spend only about $200.00 for a camera.

Please suggest a low price quality brand and why I should buy this
particular one.

Kindly reply by posting only as email protected from spam.

Thanks.

Big Rog

Old September 30th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charles Schuler

$200 is going to restrict you to a low-end point and shoot camera ... and
most of those currently out there are about the same. So, go to Best Buy,
Circuit City, Costco, whatever, and handle them and then you can choose.

You can get good shots with a camera like that, by the way. Great shots
will be difficult, but not impossible.

Old October 3rd 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
miles

wrote:
Hi,

I am looking to buy a new digital camera.

I am completely ignorant about digital brand cameras. I have an old
Cannon sure shot camera presently, which I rarely use.

You requested an email reply. This is usenet. The discussion is
beneficial to all so my reply will be here.

It sounds like you want a something simple to use. For me the main
criteria in picking out a camera is the following:

Image Stabilization. This is an absolute must. Otherwise low light,
moving subjects or just shaky hands causes blurred pictures.

Optical Zoom. Many cameras advertise their total zoom. Ignore the
digital zoom specification. Digital zoom can be done much better on
your PC. Less expensive cameras should still have at least a 3x optical
zoom.

Megapixels. Get the resolution you need and nothing more. If all
you're doing is printing 5x5 or smaller prints or just sending emails
then 3mp is plenty.

Built in memory and cost of memory expansion cards. Find out how many
pictures will fit at the highest resolution setting. Determine the cost
of any needed memory expansion card to handle the number of pictures you
feel you need.

Battery type and life. Find out what type of batteries a camera takes
and how many pictures with/without flash they typically last. I greatly
prefer a camera that takes rechargable batteries. I hate having to keep
buying them and carrying them around! For my camera I bought 3
rechargeable batteries that I keep charged when going on vacation. I
never have had to use more than 2 before returning to my hotel to
recharge them.

Screen size and brightness. Can the screen be used outdoors in the sun?
My Kodak P850 also has a viewfinder screen that can be used in any
lighting condition. Most lower end cameras lack that feature.

I find Costco generally beats anyone elses prices except mail order.
Costco's return policy if you have problems is by far the best in the
industry.

I have a Kodak P850 which while very easy to use is probably overkill
and too expensive for your needs. I have seen it as low as $200 but
lately its much higher. I like the Kodak cameras that are able to use a
docking station. These stations allow for recharging and transfer of
pictures to the PC with ease. Some docks are also printers. Very
convenient especially for novices.

Kodak, Olympus and Canon are my personal choices.
Old October 4th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Miles

Thanks for your intelligent reply. I reposted below as I was not
satisfied with responses. If you are interested, look there.

Roger

Old October 4th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Miles

Thanks for your intelligent response.

I deleted posting as I was disatisfied with slow responses and it is
posted

under

misc.consumers.frugal-living -
INEXPENSIVE DIGITAL CAMERAS, WHAT IS OUT THERE????

Look there if you are interested.

Roger.