Selling Digital Art

Old February 18th 05, 08:29 PM
bob

grol wrote:

Aren't most dye-sub printers only 300x300dpi (well the consumer ones are),
whereas say a new Canon PIXMA iP5000 is 9600x2400dpi?

You're mixing your pixels and dots. Dyesub printers are up to 300 ppi;
it takes many, many, inkjet dots to make a pixel.

Bob

Old February 18th 05, 08:37 PM
grol

"bob" wrote in message
grol wrote:

Aren't most dye-sub printers only 300x300dpi (well the consumer ones are),
whereas say a new Canon PIXMA iP5000 is 9600x2400dpi?

You're mixing your pixels and dots. Dyesub printers are up to 300 ppi;
it takes many, many, inkjet dots to make a pixel.

Bob

Sure, so doesn't that make 9600x2400dpi have more resolution then, than
300x300ppi ? The many dots that make up a single pixel can vary to give great
resolution. Last I heard, only monitors really deal with pixels.

The consumer level dye-sub are indeed only 300x300dpi. Not ppi. For example the
Canon CP400.
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...ode lid=11047
http://www.teds.com.au/www/6/1001102...t/1084286.html

Where is the iP5000 inkjet is 9600x2400dpi.
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...ode lid=10439

grol

Old February 19th 05, 02:48 AM

I've heard of few photographers that destroy their negatives. Many
photographers made multiple prints of their work, and then, after the
photographer's passing, the same images were printed by others. Its
true that photography can require less work to create the 2nd, or Nth,
piece than other art forms. That said, it seems that most people who
purchase art want to see it up close before they spend any significant
amount of money.

I'm always afraid to post a high res image on the web for fear someone
will rip it off and use it themselves, though perhaps I flatter myself.

Galleries have skilled sales people, that cajole and persuade their
customers to buy. I guess that the web can't really compete with that.

-chasfs
http://www.artbyus.com/auctions.php?a=2&b=11561
http://www.artbyus.com/auctions.php?a=2&b=11560
http://www.artbyus.com/auctions.php?a=2&b=11133