Computer memory requirements for large CF card?

Old February 13th 05, 01:42 PM
Bruce and Sherryl

Default Computer memory requirements for large CF card?

I just purchased a new digital camera and would like to also purchase a
larger compact flash card, specifically a 2GB card.

I currently have an iMac (700MHz PowerPC G4) with 256 mb of memory running
OSX 10.2.8. Is there a minimum memory requirement to use the larger
capacity compact flash card? I am currently using a 256mb compact flash
card in my camera.

Thanks.

Old February 13th 05, 01:53 PM
Agent_C

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:42:53 GMT, Bruce and Sherryl
wrote:

Is there a minimum memory requirement to use the larger
capacity compact flash card?

None whatsoever; you should be fine.

I'd make sure my camera could accommodate it though...

A_C

Old February 13th 05, 08:28 PM
Stefan Patric

On Sunday 13 February 2005 05:42, Bruce and Sherryl wrote:

I just purchased a new digital camera and would like to also purchase
a larger compact flash card, specifically a 2GB card.

I currently have an iMac (700MHz PowerPC G4) with 256 mb of memory
running
OSX 10.2.8. Is there a minimum memory requirement to use the larger
capacity compact flash card? I am currently using a 256mb compact
flash card in my camera.

You don't need more computer memory when using higher capacity flash
cards. However, you may need more memory to load those images into an
application for processing and printing. And that depends on how big an
image file you have, which is related to how many megapixels your
camera's image sensor is, and whether you're using RAW or TIFF, etc.,
and how many levels of UNDO you want on your imaging app, and how many
apps and background processes you're running simultaneously.

Right now, I'm using a 900 MHz Duron CPU, 256 MB RAM, and running Linux
Fedora Core 3 -- all pretty close spec-wise/OS-wise to your machine --
and use The GIMP for image processing, and have no problems with any
format images files from my 3.11 MP Canon D30. However, I've found
Photoshop, regardless of the OS it's running under, to be a memory hog.
So, if that's what you're using, you may want to upgrade to 512MB RAM,
at least. A Gig would give you breathing room for that future, larger
resolution digital camera upgrade.

--
Stefan Patric
NoLife Polymath Group

Old February 20th 05, 09:13 AM

I have a 700MHz G3 iBook with 640 MB of memory, running 10.3.8. The
size of the memory card isn't important; it's the size of the image
file that matters. My ibook is SSSLLLOOOOOWWWW to open up photos from
my Canon 20D, which takes 8.2 megapixel images averaging about 4 megs
each. But once they're open in PhotoShop, even my piddly little
processor can handle the task. :-) Just make sure there's not a lot
of programs running in the background!!!

-Matt