Wisner 4x5 (Was ..best outfit for starting out)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 25th 04, 09:35 AM
juanito

Default Wisner 4x5 (Was ..best outfit for starting out)

First off, many thanks to those who took the time to respond to my
original post earlier this month. Now, to build on what I have
learned so far in this ng and elsewhere.

I am primarily interested in shooting landscapes, a la Dykinga and
Muench. And of course, I want everything to be in focus, from
foreground objects at 10 feet to the mountains in the background.
Think of a yucca at White Sands!

I frequently backpack to my favorite sites, eg Coyote Buttes in
Northern AZ

I want to be able to output crisp images at least 20 x 20 and up to
the lightjet or epson 9600.

It seems, therefore, that I need something lighweight enough to haul
in on 5-10 mile hikes, and with sufficient movements to keep that
foreground yucca in crisp focus while the rippled dunes in the mid
distance and Black Top Mountain in the far distance are also in focus.

So, I am seriously considering a Wisner 4x5 , with a lens like the
240MM APO Symmar. (These cameras do not seem very plentiful used,
however.)

My questions a

1) What do you all think of this choice, and
2) Where should I search to find this camera used?

Thanks again,

Jack Arnold