Canon EF long lens rental Florida US

Old June 22nd 04, 09:01 PM
Michael C. Smith

Default Canon EF long lens rental Florida US

I'd like to rent a Canon EF long lens to photograph birds at Ding
Darling National Wildlife Refuge, Sanibel Island, Florida, USA (300mm,
400mm, 500mm, or 600mm). I prefer to pick up the lens in Florida
instead of shipping it, as rental fees accumulate during the shipping
period. If you ship the lens overnight, that's at least 2 extra days
of rental (in which case a week-long rental may be more cost
effective).

Does anyone know a shop in southern Florida that rents?

Should no one answer, the following may help someone in the future.

http://www.harmonphoto.com/
Harmon Photo, Ft. Myers, FL doesn't rent

Companies that will rent & ship to your location:

http://www.aperturepro.com/
Aperture Professional, Miami, Florida. Miami is 3.5 hours (per Yahoo)
from from Sanibel.

http://www.carouselstudios.com
Carousel Studios, Miami, FL.

http://www.samyscamerarental.com
Samy's Camera, Los Angeles, California CA.

http://www.adorama.com
Adorama, New York, NY.

http://www.acecam.com/rmcindex.html#Rental
ACECamera manufacturer & rental links; Doug Clifford.

Thanks.
--
...Mike Smith . Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Old June 23rd 04, 03:56 AM

Michael C. Smith wrote:
I'd like to rent a Canon EF long lens to photograph birds at Ding
Darling National Wildlife Refuge, Sanibel Island, Florida, USA (300mm,
400mm, 500mm, or 600mm). I prefer to pick up the lens in Florida
instead of shipping it, as rental fees accumulate during the shipping
period. If you ship the lens overnight, that's at least 2 extra days
of rental (in which case a week-long rental may be more cost
effective).

What is a typical rental charge for, say, a 500mm lens?
I assume you would want insurance too.

If it is as high I think it is, and considering how wonderful
a big lens is, might iot not be better to take out a
loan and just get one? How many days rental before
you've paid enough to buy it?

On a separate note, if you never been to Ding Darling, be
aware that opportunities are hit or miss. I've been to it
a fair number of times the last couple of years and
many hours, even a full day can go by with not much.
But if it is slow at Ding, there are other wonderful
places to go too.

Roger

Old June 23rd 04, 04:30 AM

It is hit or miss at Ding Darling, what time of year are you going. I
also went to Merritt Island near Canaveral and had good luck. I brought
my 500mm this last trip in May and had better luck at Merritt Island.
Ding darling is better in early April. I found that most of the birds
are not fearful, you can get close, and I had good results with my
100-400mm zoom.

I don't know of any place that rents down there though.

Walter

Old June 24th 04, 05:01 PM
Michael C. Smith

"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" wrote in message ...
Michael C. Smith wrote:
I'd like to rent a Canon EF long lens to photograph birds at Ding
Darling National Wildlife Refuge, Sanibel Island, Florida, USA (300mm,
400mm, 500mm, or 600mm). I prefer to pick up the lens in Florida
instead of shipping it, as rental fees accumulate during the shipping
period. If you ship the lens overnight, that's at least 2 extra days
of rental (in which case a week-long rental may be more cost
effective).

What is a typical rental charge for, say, a 500mm lens?
I assume you would want insurance too.

Aperture Pro's (Miami) largest lens, a 400/2.8 L, rents for $125
daily, $500 weekly, and a $7,500 deposit. Adorama is $100 daily, $300
weekly, and $6,500.00 new. Adorama rents a 600mm/f4 (call for price).
Insurance isn't listed; thanks for the reminder.

If it is as high I think it is, and considering how wonderful
a big lens is, might iot not be better to take out a
loan and just get one? ..

SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed). Need I say more? I hope to get
one some day. The Canon 400mm f/4 DO is intriguing , only 4.3
lb/1,940g, light enough for hand holding.
http://www.adorama.com/CA4004ISU.html?searchinfo=canon%2040mm%20do&item_n o=5

Is 400mm too short for birding? I can afford (monetarily and
politically) only one long lens.

On a separate note, if you never been to Ding Darling, be
aware that opportunities are hit or miss. I've been to it
a fair number of times the last couple of years and
many hours, even a full day can go by with not much.
But if it is slow at Ding, there are other wonderful
places to go too.

Roger

Thanks for you suggestions, Roger. Great images & info on your site!

Old June 24th 04, 05:09 PM
Michael C. Smith

W wrote in message ...
It is hit or miss at Ding Darling, what time of year are you going. I
also went to Merritt Island near Canaveral and had good luck. I brought
my 500mm this last trip in May and had better luck at Merritt Island.
Ding darling is better in early April. I found that most of the birds
are not fearful, you can get close, and I had good results with my
100-400mm zoom.

I don't know of any place that rents down there though.

Walter

Hi Walter,

Thanks for the Merritt Island suggestion.

Each lens has advantages (focal length vs. weight) but if you could
only have one additional lens for birding, would you want the
100-400mm or 500mm? (I have a 70-200mm/f2.8.)

Old June 25th 04, 03:18 AM

Hi Michael,

I've had the 100-400 for two years now and just bought the 500 in March.
I use the 100-400 a lot for all around use, and I've used it for Birding
also, and have had good photos from it. The 500, does give that extra
Oooommmph, and with a 1.4x on it is incredible. I'd say go for the 500,
I'm happy I did. I bought a monopod just to make it easier to carry over
the shoulder and it makes it plenty steady with the 1.4 on unless there
is quite a bit of wind. With the 70-200, a 1.4x and the 500, you would
have good cross range of focal lengths to choose from. I am now using
the 500 more than the 100-400 because a lot of the birds I shoot are
having little ones now and its the only way to get an extreme close up
without disturbing them and the f4 helps a lot lighting wise.

Hope this help you out,

Walter

Old June 25th 04, 03:23 AM

Hi again Mike,

If you are on the west coast of Florida, In Sanibel, and you don't have
much luck, there is also the Corkscrew swamp which is pretty good.
Another place I went to for a photo tour was www.bigcatrescue.com in
Tampa, got a lot of photos of Big Cats, you have to prearrange it with
them. Your 70-200 would be excellent for that!

Walter