EOS 400D Utilities and Blue Screens

Old May 17th 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
JPH

Default EOS 400D Utilities and Blue Screens

Hi all

My system is having a lot of blue screens lately. A lot more frequent
than ever before. The only thing I have installed recently that I can
remember is the Canon EOS Utilities software.

It might be somthing else but is anyone else having this happen to
them after installing the canon utils?

Thanks in advance John

PS thanks for all the help and advice I have got often in this forum

Old May 18th 07, 10:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
cmyk

Which OS? Is it fully updated? Have you scanned the system for rogue software (viruses, trojans, etc)? Have you scanned the HDD for
physical/logical errors? Have you checked for some other hardware failure? Have you checked Canon's site for an update to the EOS
software? What about the other software on your system?

In other words, there are too many variables here to say what's at fault. You could try uninstalling the EOS software and see if the
problem goes away. If it does, that doesn't mean the EOS software is at fault - it may just be exposing some other flaw.

Cheers
--
cmyk

Old May 18th 07, 01:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
JPH

Cheers cmyk

Thanks for this.

I agree there are many things that could be wrong but was interested
to hear if anyone else thought the EOS software could be the culprit.
It definately started happening not long after I installed it, but yes
it could be a hardware problem or anything.

I have done a virus check and a defrag and checked out my last few
minidump files but I'm not certain what they tell me. I haven't
checked the Canon site for updated drivers though and having the
latest ones wont hurt either way.

Thanks

John

Old May 18th 07, 01:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Joan

Anything unusual in the event log?

--
Joan

"JPH" wrote in message
oups.com...
:
: Cheers cmyk
:
: Thanks for this.
:

Old May 18th 07, 05:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
JPH

Cheers Joan

It crashed again today and I noticed a warning in the application
event log. It was Event ID:32068 Caused by Microsoft Fax. I don't have
a fax so I have removed this component in Windows Add/Remove.

I'm not sure whether this was the problem but it seems odd.

John

Old May 18th 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

JPH wrote:
Hi all

My system is having a lot of blue screens lately. A lot more frequent
than ever before. The only thing I have installed recently that I can
remember is the Canon EOS Utilities software.

It might be somthing else but is anyone else having this happen to
them after installing the canon utils?

I recently bought a new camera which took larger images (more pixels)
and started using a lot of new photo editing software. My system
started crashing a lot. It turned out to be that the processor was
overheating. I was doing longer and more intensive purely processor
work in editing the larger images than I'd ever done before, which
exposed that weakness in my system.

Re-installing the processor heat sink with better compound improved
things a lot. Improving fan ventilation fixed it. The clue was opening
up the cabinbet and finding that directing extra fanning on the
processor heat sink improved the length of time I could do image
editing before crashing.

--
Chris Malcolm DoD #205
[

Old May 19th 07, 01:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
JPH

Cheers Chris

I also read on Google that it could be over heating.

I'm going to uninstall the most recent software installations and if
it still keeps doing it I will take your advice

John

Old May 19th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On 17 May 2007 14:48:34 -0700, JPH wrote:
: Hi all
:
: My system is having a lot of blue screens lately. A lot more frequent
: than ever before. The only thing I have installed recently that I can
: remember is the Canon EOS Utilities software.
:
: It might be somthing else but is anyone else having this happen to
: them after installing the canon utils?

No, but I've been meaning to mention a problem I *have* had with Canon
utilities: Several recent versions of Zoombrowser and its associated camera
window (including the latest one) won't run on my Windows Server 2003
computer, although they run fine on my XP machines. I realize it's a bit
uncommon to have WS 2003 on a home computer, but has anyone else in the group
experienced (and overcome) this?

But the EOS utilities and their camera window run fine under both XP and WS
2003.

Bob
Old May 22nd 07, 12:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
JPH

Hi Robert

I uninstalled the EOS software and it's still happening

After using windbg to analyse minidump files it looks lie the problem
is bad memory or zone alarm

I'll keep you posted

John