recharging camera battery with a powerbank

Old December 10th 17, 11:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
sobriquet

Default recharging camera battery with a powerbank

Hi
Is there any convenient (portable) way to recharge batteries with a
powerbank?

https://www.xtorm.eu/nl/power-banks/
https://www.dpreview.com/products/ca...specifications

Like if you have two NB-13L batteries for the Canon Powershot G1 X III,
it would be nice if you could re-charge one of them as you shoot
with the other one and swap them occasionally so you can potentially
recharge them numerous times with the powerbank.

greetings and thanks in advance for any feedback
Old December 10th 17, 11:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 02:37:01 -0800 (PST), sobriquet
wrote:

Hi
Is there any convenient (portable) way to recharge batteries with a
powerbank?

https://www.xtorm.eu/nl/power-banks/
https://www.dpreview.com/products/ca...specifications

Like if you have two NB-13L batteries for the Canon Powershot G1 X III,
it would be nice if you could re-charge one of them as you shoot
with the other one and swap them occasionally so you can potentially
recharge them numerous times with the powerbank.

greetings and thanks in advance for any feedback

Any camera that supports USB charging should work with a power bank,
you can get 10,000 mAH units cheap, and they don't weight much.

If you don't mind a little weight, you can get 30,000 mAH unis for
aroud $50.

Old December 10th 17, 01:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sobriquet

wrote:

Hi
Is there any convenient (portable) way to recharge batteries with a
powerbank?

https://www.xtorm.eu/nl/power-banks/
https://www.dpreview.com/products/ca...specifications

Like if you have two NB-13L batteries for the Canon Powershot G1 X III,
it would be nice if you could re-charge one of them as you shoot
with the other one and swap them occasionally so you can potentially
recharge them numerous times with the powerbank.

greetings and thanks in advance for any feedback

Any camera that supports USB charging should work with a power bank,
you can get 10,000 mAH units cheap, and they don't weight much.

If you don't mind a little weight, you can get 30,000 mAH unis for
aroud $50.

But that would be kind of inconvenient, as you would need to charge
the battery in the camera and it would be nice if you could use
the camera without being tethered to the powerbank.
So I'd prefer it if I could have the other battery charging in my
pocket with the powerbank while using the camera.
Old December 10th 17, 02:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

wrote:

[...]

The larger powerbanks will give you 12 volts and in some cases a lighter
socket. You can get cigarette lighter chargers for most camera
batteries, I think.
Old December 10th 17, 03:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article ,
sobriquet says...
But that would be kind of inconvenient, as you would need to charge
the battery in the camera and it would be nice if you could use
the camera without being tethered to the powerbank.
So I'd prefer it if I could have the other battery charging in my
pocket with the powerbank while using the camera.

I bought a USB charger for the batteries of my E-M1 II. I could connect
that to a powerbank and recharge the batteries in the field.

But the fact is that I have always four fully charged batteries with me
and I found out that that actually I don't need more than one battery
per day.

Only if I were to do some week-long trekking far away from civilisation
I would need the powerbank.
--
Alfred Molon

Old December 10th 17, 04:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Dec 10, 2017, Alfred Molon wrote
(in . com):

In ,
sobriquet says...
But that would be kind of inconvenient, as you would need to charge
the battery in the camera and it would be nice if you could use
the camera without being tethered to the powerbank.
So I'd prefer it if I could have the other battery charging in my
pocket with the powerbank while using the camera.

I bought a USB charger for the batteries of my E-M1 II. I could connect
that to a powerbank and recharge the batteries in the field.

But the fact is that I have always four fully charged batteries with me
and I found out that that actually I don't need more than one battery
per day.

Only if I were to do some week-long trekking far away from civilisation
I would need the powerbank.

My X-T2 features USB charging, and I have used my Hyperjuice Power Plug (now
discontinued due to update) to charge that battery. That is quite a useful
feature for road trips away from a power source.
https://blurppy.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/1a123.jpg

However, I also have the booster grip which adds two more batteries to the
camera for a total of three. This gives me more than enough power for most
shoots, and for several days of normal shooting. Unfortunately, while the two
batteries in the grip can be charged when loaded in the grip, that is
facilitated via an AC-9VS plug-in charger, not USB. It does however, provide
the means to charge two batteries simultaneously.

That said, I still carry extra batteries.

Savageduck

Old December 11th 17, 05:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sobriquet

On Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 11:37:11 AM UTC+1, sobriquet wrote:
Hi
Is there any convenient (portable) way to recharge batteries with a
powerbank?

https://www.xtorm.eu/nl/power-banks/
https://www.dpreview.com/products/ca...specifications

Like if you have two NB-13L batteries for the Canon Powershot G1 X III,
it would be nice if you could re-charge one of them as you shoot
with the other one and swap them occasionally so you can potentially
recharge them numerous times with the powerbank.

greetings and thanks in advance for any feedback

https://nl.hama.com/81385/hama-usb-l...non-nb-12l-13l

I guess this ought to work, perhaps with a rubber band to keep the battery in the charger so it can't fall out.
Old December 11th 17, 10:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article ,
sobriquet says...
https://nl.hama.com/81385/hama-usb-l...non-nb-12l-13l

I guess this ought to work, perhaps with a rubber band to keep the battery in the charger so it can't fall out.

Looks very similar to the USB charger of my Olympus batteries. Maybe all
these chargers are made by the same company.
--
Alfred Molon

Old December 17th 17, 03:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sobriquet

On Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 3:04:39 PM UTC+1, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article ,
sobriquet says...
But that would be kind of inconvenient, as you would need to charge
the battery in the camera and it would be nice if you could use
the camera without being tethered to the powerbank.
So I'd prefer it if I could have the other battery charging in my
pocket with the powerbank while using the camera.

I bought a USB charger for the batteries of my E-M1 II. I could connect
that to a powerbank and recharge the batteries in the field.

But the fact is that I have always four fully charged batteries with me
and I found out that that actually I don't need more than one battery
per day.

I think that with the Canon Powershot G1X Mark III, the batteries
are potentially one of the limiting factors (besides the limited
optical zoom range).

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/can...ark-iii-review

"Battery life restrictive" is listed as one of the downsides of this camera.