Win 10 madness (a bit OT)

Old December 6th 17, 05:27 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,rec.photo.digital
Johnny B Good

Default Win 10 madness (a bit OT)

On Tue, 05 Dec 2017 07:14:44 -0500, nospam wrote:

In article ,
newshound wrote:

I've just dragged and dropped some photos from a camera to my NAS
drive in the way I have done many hundreds of times before. But the
files are now showing in Explorer with today's date, and timestamped
now,
rather than when they were created.

Am I going mad?

I think Explorer shows "Date Modified" by default. Right click on the
column headers and you can choose which columns to show.

Nice theory. Indeed it does, I had not particularly noticed that
before.

Unfortunately, Date Modified, Date Created (and also Date last saved)
all show the same, i.e. Date dragged and dropped, not the date of the
photo.

that's because windows bizarrely changes some file dates to when a file
was copied, not when it was actually modified.

Picasa is showing the "right" date and time as
camera/file/digitised/modified date. Presumably from the EXIF.

yep, as any other photo asset manager would.

If you copy a file, the modified date/time stamp should be preserved
whilst the copy should be stamped with the current creation date/time.

If you move a file, both date/time stamps should be preserved. That was
a guaranteed behaviour with win2k (and, afair, winXP). In my limited
experience with Linux FMs, that, sadly, is not the case. :-(

If this is change of behaviour that has only arisen in win10 just a few
weeks ago, it would appear to be the result of a broken/buggy update.
Since I have no interest in Microsoft OSes beyond winXP, I can't offer
any more help than these observations.

--
Johnny B Good
Old December 6th 17, 06:53 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Johnny B Good
wrote:

If you copy a file, the modified date/time stamp should be preserved
whilst the copy should be stamped with the current creation date/time.

nope.

a copy should be 100% identical to the original.

*any* deviation from that is a bug and can cause all sorts of problems,
particularly with backup apps.
Old December 6th 17, 07:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.homebuilt
peter

Mayayana wrote:

"PeterN" wrote

| I wonder how many galleries have framed EXIF tags on display.

They can't be nospam's EXIF tags. His are part
of his photos. Presumably you can read them
along the top edge when he prints the picture.

His comment, which was expunged from his response when I called him on it,
clearly meant that the EXIF data was the most important part of an image.
My sarcasm was lost on him.

—
PeterN
Old December 6th 17, 08:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.homebuilt
nospam

In article , peter
wrote:

His comment, which was expunged from his response when I called him on it,
clearly meant that the EXIF data was the most important part of an image.

i never said it was the most important part.

My sarcasm was lost on him.

what actually happened was your lies have been exposed.
Old December 6th 17, 09:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.homebuilt
peter

nospam wrote:
In article , peter
wrote:

His comment, which was expunged from his response when I called him on it,
clearly meant that the EXIF data was the most important part of an image.

i never said it was the most important part.

My sarcasm was lost on him.

what actually happened was your lies have been exposed.

Look up the words “clear meaning“ If you ever climbed out of that basement
you live in, you’ll find it’s a really nice world.

—
PeterN
Old December 6th 17, 09:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.homebuilt
nospam

In article , peter
wrote:

His comment, which was expunged from his response when I called him on it,
clearly meant that the EXIF data was the most important part of an image.

i never said it was the most important part.

My sarcasm was lost on him.

what actually happened was your lies have been exposed.

Look up the words ³clear meaning³

so i can explain it to you verbatim?

If you ever climbed out of that basement
you live in,

it's cozy in the penthouse suite.

you¹ll find it¹s a really nice world.

not with what's been going on out there, it ain't.
Old December 7th 17, 08:34 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 06/12/2017 03:56, Mayayana wrote:
"newshound" wrote

| On further investigation, Explorer is behaving normally with drag and
| drop or copy and paste to physical drives on the computer, the new
| behaviour only affects drag and drop or copy and paste on to a DLINK NAS
| drive that is only connected over the wireless network. So maybe it's
| related to a Windows (or perhaps DLINK) networking update that has
| sneaked in without my noticing.

I see that you're right about normal behavior. I get
the date taken as last modified date when I copy from
SD card. I guess I never noticed before.

I got curious and searched around to see if there
might be some fluke, like maybe treating files over
wifi as downloads. But I didn't turn anything up.
So I guess your theory of a recent update makes
the most sense.

Thanks for your efforts.

I'd wondered if I had done something daft, like having caps lock on
while dragging and dropping, if there was a windows option to "Touch"
files that way.