YO! Problem solved!! From horrible negative to solution...

Old September 26th 04, 06:45 PM
stefano bramato

Default YO! Problem solved!! From horrible negative to solution...

Who remember previous post about an horrible negative of mine?

I have done today four tests, with four different developers, new fix
and reduced fix time. Like you suggested there is something wrong in
fix... test test test!! Alone in the dark testing today!! Is a rainy
day!!

I really think that the negative was destroyed by two differents factors
at the same time.

First of all I was helped by a friend in preparing the fix solution and
other stuff, bEcause he was a friends who wanted to learn more on
photography, ok?

First reason:
He says to me that he did fix solution slightly more concentrated than
usual, like I use to do. But alot more concentrated: 1:3 instead
instead **1+3,5** that is very different with rapid fixers. So I think
that more acidic environment subtle wounded the emoulsion. Then a
excessive fixing time: 10' instead of 5'-7,5' as I do when FRESH.
More fixing time and concentration, this time and with this rolls, not
did more bleach on highlits, like many books says but makes like burns
and bubbles on the emulsion.

Second reason:
not stable water temperature.
usually in my lab there is always 24°C. This time i can see that there
are a couple of °C more high and low. But i beleieve that this cannot
affect at all the washing but can help in desruption of film.

Sorry people for using NG as reporting my esperiments, but after this i
feel more sure of my self (and of course, less of my learning friend....
)

Today tests results with as usual stock treatments?
Perfect negatives... and I feel more comfortable with myself!

Ciao,
Stefano

--
Non è bello cio che è bello figuriamoci cio che è brutto!
Old September 27th 04, 01:08 PM
Lloyd usenet-Erlick

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 17:45:00 GMT, stefano bramato
Sorry people for using NG as reporting my esperiments, but after this i
feel more sure of my self (and of course, less of my learning friend....

sep2704 from Lloyd Erlick,

Don't be sorry! That is the purpose of this medium!

Besides, where else will you find anyone interested
enough to listen? It keeps us from boring our
friends...

regards,
--le

ps -- keep posting your experiments...
________________________________
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
voice: 416-686-0326
email:
net:
www.heylloyd.com
Old September 27th 04, 11:20 PM
stefano bramato

Don't be sorry! That is the purpose of this medium!

i hope so!

Besides, where else will you find anyone interested
enough to listen? It keeps us from boring our
friends...

yo! You're right!! In these times I feel like stranger. in a digital
world, as thirty y.o. man I feel quite strange when I say that I
continue to experiment, to learn, and to test film apparels!!

OTOH i don't want to let get rust my old rolleis and my contax as well:
they give me satisfactions!! And the film, the dark chamber, and so
forth is a missing magic!!

CiaO!!

ps -- keep posting your experiments...

Yes I will do with lot of pleasure!!
HOping not too much destroying my negatives,,, ehe!

--
Non è bello cio che è bello figuriamoci cio che è brutto!
Old September 28th 04, 12:50 AM
Dan Quinn

stefano bramato

Take it easy on that film!! Try unadulterated ammonium
thiosulfate 60%. Dilute it 1:24 if you use 500ml per roll as
I do with 120 Pan F+. Or try 16 grams of the sodium anhydrous
form in the same volume of water. Use the fix one-shot.
The higher speed film you use may require a little more
of the concentrate.
Worst case for film fixer is the entirely unexposed roll or
sheet of film. Testing will determine that worst case amount.
Try to be nice to your film. Give it or them a fresh,
gentle fix. Dan

Old September 28th 04, 01:35 AM
stefano bramato

Take it easy on that film!! Try unadulterated ammonium
thiosulfate 60%. Dilute it 1:24 if you use 500ml per roll as
I do with 120 Pan F+. Or try 16 grams of the sodium anhydrous
form in the same volume of water. Use the fix one-shot.
The higher speed film you use may require a little more
of the concentrate.
Worst case for film fixer is the entirely unexposed roll or
sheet of film. Testing will determine that worst case amount.
Try to be nice to your film. Give it or them a fresh,
gentle fix. Dan

OK Dan!! Thanks for your suggestions!!

--
Non è bello cio che è bello figuriamoci cio che è brutto!