Now it's Ilford!

Old August 24th 04, 03:27 PM
jjs

"Jean-David Beyer" wrote in message

Similarly to the record industry. I happen to prefer "classical" music and
do not much care for "popular" music. But I must recognize that record
companies pretty much subsidize the classical product with the profits
from the popular.

Ah, but there is one less royalty to pay for in old classical music.
Certainly there are the copyrights to the orchestral arrangement and
performance, but at least the author/composer royalties have lapsed.

Old August 26th 04, 11:43 PM
Ron Todd

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:21:14 -0400, Jean-David Beyer
wrote:

John wrote:
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 19:56:58 -0500, "jjs"
wrote:

So freak out already. I'm not worried.

Perhaps Leica and Linhoff could join together and purchase
them ??

Regards,

John S. Douglas, Photographer - http://www.darkroompro.com
Please remove the "_" when replying via email

I do not know Linhof's complete product line, but as I recall, companies
like Rodenstock, Leitz, and Zeiss make many things other than cameras. For
all I know, their photographic stuff is a money-losing proposition,
subsidized by their other products.

AIR, Zeiss divested of Ikon (the camera division) long ago and Leitz
similarly dumped Leica as they had both lost all the money they could
afford. Sometimes you can get away with a money loosing flagship
product, sometimes even a public company can get away with it for a
while. But there are limits.

Kodak used to carry a lot of lines that were running at a loss. They
got along with it for quite a while, but even they had to pay the
piper. The biggest stockholders in publicly held companies, Pension
Funds, simply will not stand for their widows and orphans not getting
the last penny. (simplified explanation, but it is how it works)