Jammed Spotmatic shutter

Old January 5th 05, 05:35 PM
Norm Fleming

Default Jammed Spotmatic shutter

A few new threads on old Spotmatics encouraged me to post this.

After years of faultless use, the shutter on my Spotmatic has jammed. The
shutter will not trip and the film will not wind on.

I gather this is not uncommon with Spotmatics.

Anyone got a quick do-it-yourself fix? Most repair shops will charge around
$120 for next to nothing these days.

Thanks for help Cheers

Norm Fleming

Old January 5th 05, 09:08 PM
Chris Loffredo

Norm Fleming wrote:
A few new threads on old Spotmatics encouraged me to post this.

After years of faultless use, the shutter on my Spotmatic has jammed. The
shutter will not trip and the film will not wind on.

I gather this is not uncommon with Spotmatics.

Anyone got a quick do-it-yourself fix? Most repair shops will charge around
$120 for next to nothing these days.

Thanks for help Cheers

Norm Fleming

If the shutter has jammed with the curtains open, you can close them by
VERY GENTLY pushing one or both curtains to the end of their run.

Worked for me a couple of times in the past.

Chris

Old January 6th 05, 09:08 AM

Norm Fleming wrote:
A few new threads on old Spotmatics encouraged me to post this.

After years of faultless use, the shutter on my Spotmatic has jammed. The
shutter will not trip and the film will not wind on.

I gather this is not uncommon with Spotmatics.

Anyone got a quick do-it-yourself fix? Most repair shops will charge around
$120 for next to nothing these days.

Thanks for help Cheers

Norm Fleming

If the mirror is half way down, you can GENTLY pull the mirror down and let
it flop back up. I have done this to a few Pentax cameras over the years
and it worked for me but YMMV.

Old January 6th 05, 03:54 PM
Larry Yaremko

wrote in message ...
Norm Fleming wrote:
A few new threads on old Spotmatics encouraged me to post this.

After years of faultless use, the shutter on my Spotmatic has jammed.

The
shutter will not trip and the film will not wind on.

I have a complete Spotmatic repair manual, that I will be scanning and
posting on my web site once I have completed posting the Takumar lens data
sheets. It contains exploded views of the internal parts, and it may be
helpful to you. It will be uploaded hopefully by month's end. Sorry I
can't do it immediately, but I'm trying to be methodical about configuring
the new site.

Larry Yaremko
www.yaremko.com Spotmatic Web Site

Old January 6th 05, 04:39 PM
Norm Fleming

"Chris Loffredo" wrote in message
Norm Fleming wrote:
A few new threads on old Spotmatics encouraged me to post this.

After years of faultless use, the shutter on my Spotmatic has jammed.
The shutter will not trip and the film will not wind on.

I gather this is not uncommon with Spotmatics.

Anyone got a quick do-it-yourself fix? Most repair shops will charge
around $120 for next to nothing these days.

Thanks for help Cheers

Norm Fleming

If the shutter has jammed with the curtains open, you can close them by
VERY GENTLY pushing one or both curtains to the end of their run.

Worked for me a couple of times in the past.

Chris

Thanks Chris - unfortunately it's jammed with the curtains closed.

Norm

Old January 6th 05, 04:40 PM
Norm Fleming

wrote in message ...
Norm Fleming wrote:
A few new threads on old Spotmatics encouraged me to post this.

After years of faultless use, the shutter on my Spotmatic has jammed.
The
shutter will not trip and the film will not wind on.

I gather this is not uncommon with Spotmatics.

Anyone got a quick do-it-yourself fix? Most repair shops will charge
around
$120 for next to nothing these days.

Thanks for help Cheers

Norm Fleming

If the mirror is half way down, you can GENTLY pull the mirror down and
let
it flop back up. I have done this to a few Pentax cameras over the years
and it worked for me but YMMV.

Thanks - already tried the gentle mirror twiddling to no avail.

NF

Old January 6th 05, 05:00 PM
Mike

"Norm Fleming" wrote in message

If the shutter has jammed with the curtains open, you can close them by
VERY GENTLY pushing one or both curtains to the end of their run.

Worked for me a couple of times in the past.

Chris

Thanks Chris - unfortunately it's jammed with the curtains closed.

Norm

The most common cause for this type of jam is an un-cocked mirror mechanism.
To correct the problem remove the bottom cover. With the lens facing away
from you look for a lever to the
left of the tripod socket that has the end of a large spring through it's
end. Gently push the lever forward until it latches. Press the shutter
release, the camera should now work normally. If it is still jammed then the
problem may very well be in the wind gear timing.