28-200 replacement ?

Old October 31st 05, 10:01 AM
dylan

Default 28-200 replacement ?

We have a EOS-5, with a sigma 28-200 which was OK(ish) for general purpose
stuff.
Replaced with a 350D, on which the sigma obviously won't work.

Any recommendations for a suitable general purpose zoom, bearing in mind the
1.6x ?.

Cheers

Old October 31st 05, 10:39 AM
dylan

Well - if you were happy with the Sigma on the EOS-5, then Sigma also do
an 18-125mm zoom, which will give you pretty much the same field-of-view
range on the 350D as the 28-200 did on the 5.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...ls.asp?id=3287
&navigator=6

(you may need to reform that url)

If you want something of higher quality, then tell us your budget...

Ian
--
Ian Riches
Bedford, UK

Thanks, tell me about the higher quality lenses, I'll think of the budget
)

Old October 31st 05, 10:56 AM

A Canon 17-40 F4 L lens would give you a 27-64 lens of really high quality
but this may not have enough reach for you. The other option is the Canon
EF-S 15-85 IS lens which gives you 28-135 equiv. Both around $1000 on ebay.

Old October 31st 05, 11:29 AM
Ian Riches

In article , says...

Well - if you were happy with the Sigma on the EOS-5, then Sigma also do
an 18-125mm zoom, which will give you pretty much the same field-of-view
range on the 350D as the 28-200 did on the 5.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...ls.asp?id=3287
&navigator=6

(you may need to reform that url)

If you want something of higher quality, then tell us your budget...

Thanks, tell me about the higher quality lenses, I'll think of the budget
)

Well...in general the concepts "higher quality" and "extreme zoom
range" do not sit together comfortably. You'll need to narrow down the
zoom range, IMHO.

Models that are not *too* much more expensive than the Sigma 18-200
(price in the UK about UKP 200) include:

1) Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 (UKP 300-ish)
2) Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 (UKP 270-ish)

If the budget streches higher, then options include:

3) Canon 17-40mm f/4 (UKP 550-ish)
4) Canon 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS (UKP 450-ish)

If you want some user reviews of the these lenses, look at the following
site:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/

From the site above, the average user ratings of the mentioned lenses

1) Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 - 8.5/10
2) Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 - 8.7/10
3) Canon 17-40mm f/4 - 9.0/10
4) Canon 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS - 7.6/10
5) Sigma 18-125mm - 7.6/10

Ian
--
Ian Riches
Bedford, UK
Old October 31st 05, 12:45 PM
Skip M

"M" wrote in message
A Canon 17-40 F4 L lens would give you a 27-64 lens of really high quality
but this may not have enough reach for you. The other option is the Canon
EF-S 15-85 IS lens which gives you 28-135 equiv. Both around $1000 on
ebay.

Is that $1000AU or CN? 'Cause in US dollars, they both go for about $600,
new, from B&H...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old October 31st 05, 04:26 PM
dylan

Well...in general the concepts "higher quality" and "extreme zoom
range" do not sit together comfortably. You'll need to narrow down the
zoom range, IMHO.

Models that are not *too* much more expensive than the Sigma 18-200
(price in the UK about UKP 200) include:

Thanks for your information.
I'd agree regarding narrowing the zoom range but my wife likes the range of
the 28-200 (35mm) for general purpose.

We already have the 18-55 which is OK as a kit lens and useful at wide
angles but lacks the zoom range.We also have the Canon 20-35, 24-85 and a
200 when required.

The Canon 17-85 sounds promising, the review score doesn't look too good
though, and the well commented 28-135 maybe a little short at the wide end
on the 350D. I fancy the 17-40 to replace the 20-35 for landscapes.

The range of the Sigma 18-125 is spot on but I'm wary of the incompatibility
with the 350D or future canon bodies

Cheers

Old November 1st 05, 01:54 AM
Rich

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 10:01:12 -0000, "dylan" wrote:

We have a EOS-5, with a sigma 28-200 which was OK(ish) for general purpose
stuff.
Replaced with a 350D, on which the sigma obviously won't work.

Any recommendations for a suitable general purpose zoom, bearing in mind the
1.6x ?.

Cheers

Sigma's 18-200 just won "Lens of the Year" or something in Britain.
Seems pretty popular. Tamron also makes one that is supposed to be
good. Only drawback is their speed at full zoom
-Rich
Old November 1st 05, 04:45 AM
Stephen M. Dunn

In article "dylan" writes:
$The Canon 17-85 sounds promising, the review score doesn't look too good
$though, and the well commented 28-135 maybe a little short at the wide end
$on the 350D. I fancy the 17-40 to replace the 20-35 for landscapes.

The 17-85's reputation is that it's close to the 28-135. Some say
equal, some say a bit worse, but it's generally agreed that it's in the
same ballpark.

The 17-40 is a fine lens. It's my most used lens on my 20D.
--
Stephen M. Dunn
---------------- http://www.stevedunn.ca/ ----------------

Old November 3rd 05, 08:35 AM
Pete D

"Rich" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 10:01:12 -0000, "dylan" wrote:

We have a EOS-5, with a sigma 28-200 which was OK(ish) for general purpose
stuff.
Replaced with a 350D, on which the sigma obviously won't work.

Any recommendations for a suitable general purpose zoom, bearing in mind
the
1.6x ?.

Cheers

Sigma's 18-200 just won "Lens of the Year" or something in Britain.
Seems pretty popular. Tamron also makes one that is supposed to be
good. Only drawback is their speed at full zoom
-Rich

Every single lens ever made has a drawback.