Touring New Zealand

Old April 20th 07, 10:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joan

Default Touring New Zealand

I'm thinking of having a holiday in NZ later this year and looking at
http://www.capturenewzealand.com/
as a possible way of doing it.

Has anyone here done a tour of this type?

--
Joan

Old April 20th 07, 11:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 19:07:19 +1000, "Joan" wrote:

I'm thinking of having a holiday in NZ later this year and looking at
http://www.capturenewzealand.com/
as a possible way of doing it.

Has anyone here done a tour of this type?

I'd be a bit worried about them saying, "photograph that" all of the time.

Old April 20th 07, 12:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joan

Have you done a tour of this type? Have you been to New Zealand?

I've been to NZ, 36 years ago, and from what I remember, "photograph
that" could be said every 5 minutes.

--
Joan

:

Old April 20th 07, 12:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Gilbert

Joan wrote

I've been to NZ, 36 years ago, and from what I remember, "photograph
that" could be said every 5 minutes.

I agree. It would be very useful to gave someone with an
eye for and a knowledge of photography take you to
particularly good places, even if you only get to go to a
very small fraction of the islands.

Chris

Old April 20th 07, 03:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
jloo

Hello Joan,
I visited New Zealand last March 06 for a month with my wife and sister.
I was tempted to go by tour and decided to listen to the advice of my
friends in Queenstown and visit with no tour plan.
I enjoyed myself thoroughly and had many photo opportunities. South and
North Island are full of differences in landscape and city and town life.
Staying at local Hostels was a benefit and was very cost effective.
Renting a car was also nice since you could have your own schedule. I
enjoyed the cities as well as the countryside and mountainous areas.....The
inland "high desert "areas were fabulous.
Time and destination are an important factor since there is so much to see.
It may be better to stay on the South Island only and tour, or vice
versus....
I have a lot of info and can pass that on if interested.
A tour may be helpful if you are alone.
John Loomis

Old April 20th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joan

John, I'm single and I'm not young, though not yet retired, so I would
be travelling alone which wouldn't be very wise. I was thinking the
photographic tour would be as much an education in photography as a
way of seeing the South Island again with a more mature eye than I had
so long ago.

I still have my slides from the trip in 1971, most I took, some I
bought, and will be digitising them soon so I can view them again.

I have work colleagues in Auckland and will go there before going
south, if I decide to do the trip. One of my colleagues has offered
me her car so I can take a drive up to Northland. Back in 1971, we
didn't have much time to see that area, just a quick drive up and back
and I remember that it was stunningly beautiful and I want to see it
again. Our trip back then was a self drive 3 week tour with
pre-booked accommodation, 2 weeks south and 1 week north. I knew
nothing about photography back then. I hope I know a bit more now,
although the thing that I do know now, is that there is a lot more to
learn.

--
Joan

"jloo" wrote in message
[...]
: "Joan" wrote in message
: ...
: I'm thinking of having a holiday in NZ later this year and looking
at
: http://www.capturenewzealand.com/
: as a possible way of doing it.
:
: Has anyone here done a tour of this type?
:
: --
: Joan
: http://www.flickr.com/photos/joan-in-manly
:
:
:

Old April 21st 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
jloo

Hello Joan,
That sounds like a wonderful idea......
The South Island is beautiful and well worth the time to spend there. I was
able to see more on the South Island than on the North Island.....
We did spend time in Wellington and Auckland and enjoyed that very much.
Good wishes on your trip and I did see some of your photos and they are very
nice.(flikr)
The weather can be pretty nasty in the winter and was wondering when your
trip was going to be?
March was a nice time and less tourism, yet it was starting to be a bit Fall
like.

"jloo" wrote in message
[...]
: ...

Old April 21st 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joan

I've received a reply from Phillip Bartlett
http://www.capturenewzealand.com/tou...nt/view/18/64/
saying that there is currently a vacancy on the November/December 2007
tour.

If I miss it, I'm not too worried, I'll go next year.

--
Joan

Old April 21st 07, 11:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G

"Joan" wrote in message
I'm thinking of having a holiday in NZ later this year and looking at
http://www.capturenewzealand.com/
as a possible way of doing it.

Has anyone here done a tour of this type?

--
Joan

Hi.

It is a very beautiful and photogenic country.

I would not be concerned about travelling alone, because there is a
unorganised / organised sort of backpackers bus, which tours around and you
get on and off where you want. I think it is called the Kiwi Bus.

There are all sorts of age groups staying in the hostels, and using that
bus, and you would soon find someone to team up with.

Car hire is not really any cheaper than anywhere else, but fuel is
considerable cheaper than in Europe. The N. Zealanders must be verging on
being the worst and most dangerous drivers in the civilised world.

Roy G

Old April 21st 07, 12:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joan

Thanks for your comments Roy, but the fuel price in Europe doesn't
mean much to me as I'm in Sydney Australia. From what I've heard the
Italians and Mexicans vie for worst driver status. The only driving I
might do in NZ is a day trip north of Auckland in a friend's car.

--
Joan

"Roy G" wrote in message
: