New Parent - DSLR vs Point and Shoot (portability vs quality)

Old February 19th 07, 03:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
skanji

Default New Parent - DSLR vs Point and Shoot (portability vs quality)

I'm having a kid in 2 months and am in a real dilema as to what kind
of digital camera I should get. The main issue is portability vs
quality.

I really like the d50, but have been told that due to the size, i
won't want to carry around another bag with me.

Is there a point and shoot that is decent as well? Or should i stick
with the dslr?

....any thoughts you guys could provide would be appreciated!

Old February 19th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

skanji wrote:
I'm having a kid in 2 months and am in a real dilema as to what kind
of digital camera I should get. The main issue is portability vs
quality.

I really like the d50, but have been told that due to the size, i
won't want to carry around another bag with me.

Is there a point and shoot that is decent as well? Or should i stick
with the dslr?

...any thoughts you guys could provide would be appreciated!

Be sure and check "full press shutter lag" if you want to record
action (e.g. baby's first step). You want full press shutter lag
under about 100 milliseconds for action. Many P&S cameras are too slow.
(P&S fanatics don't post about pre focus: most people can't anticipate
where baby takes his/her first step and pre focus on that spot.)
See dpreview.com for full press shutter lag.

Larger pixels give better performance at high ISO and low light.
Typical high ISO performance improvement of DSLRs over P&S are
8 to 16x. That could be important in dim light baby's first steps
action shots. If you only shoot in great light and static subjects,
P&S cameras take great pictures. The smaller DSLRs are similar in size
to the larger P&S cameras.

Digital Cameras: Does Pixel Size Matter?
Factors in Choosing a Digital Camera
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...el.size.matter

Roger
Old February 19th 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Feb 19, 5:16 pm, "skanji" wrote:
I'm having a kid in 2 months and am in a real dilema as to what kind
of digital camera I should get. The main issue is portability vs
quality.

I really like the d50, but have been told that due to the size, i
won't want to carry around another bag with me.

Is there a point and shoot that is decent as well? Or should i stick
with the dslr?

Roger's advice is good. Having had a similar experience recently, I
can tell you that you'll want to take pictures indoors with artificial
light, often not so bright. A p&s is almost useless for this: the AF
won't be sufficiently fast, and you'll need a fast lens and high ISOs.
If you do decide to get the D50 (or a dslr), be sure to get a 50mm f/
1.8 lens for low light shots (note that the D40 will not AF with this
lens, so I'd avoid it).

So to summarise, you will need low light ability (ie good AF in low
light and low noise at high ISOs, as well as the ability to use fast
lenses such as the cheap and fast 50mm lenses). In the light
conditions that I have in mind, you can forget about a p&s focusing
dependably if at all. And if you're thinking that you won't need these
low-light abilities, well, just wait 2 months! Anyway, you also will
appreciate the speed of the AF even in good light (as you're about to
find out, babies tend to move quickly and erratically).

As an aside, many people tell me that for exactly the purpose we're
discussing a small compact is fine, and show me photos made by p&s
cameras in very low light which are indeed not so bad on the camera
lcd or at web resolutions. But try to print them at A4 and you'll see
the problems: motion blur, misfocusing and noise ruin the image; too
high contrast and saturation make it almost unprintable etc. Save
yourself the aggravation. I have nothing against compact cameras, but
for the purpose you have in mind, you'll waste your money.

Good luck with the baby!

...any thoughts you guys could provide would be appreciated!

Old February 19th 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor

skanji wrote:
I'm having a kid in 2 months and am in a real dilema as to what kind
of digital camera I should get. The main issue is portability vs
quality.

I really like the d50, but have been told that due to the size, i
won't want to carry around another bag with me.

Is there a point and shoot that is decent as well? Or should i stick
with the dslr?

...any thoughts you guys could provide would be appreciated!

Get something for taking short movies as well - either a movie camera to
go with your DSLR or a non-SLR with good movie capabilities. Movies can
add a lot to the still image....

For a "handbag" camera I recently got this one - but it needs care
indoors:

http://www.digicamreview.co.uk/ricoh..._r5_review.htm

David

Old February 19th 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
skanji

So is a nikon d50 or canon xt/i the best way to go? I suppose the
basic lense is ok for now?

Old February 19th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

wrote:

On Feb 19, 5:16 pm, "skanji" wrote:

I'm having a kid in 2 months and am in a real dilema as to what kind
of digital camera I should get. The main issue is portability vs
quality.

I really like the d50, but have been told that due to the size, i
won't want to carry around another bag with me.

Is there a point and shoot that is decent as well? Or should i stick
with the dslr?

Roger's advice is good. Having had a similar experience recently, I
can tell you that you'll want to take pictures indoors with artificial
light, often not so bright. A p&s is almost useless for this: the AF
won't be sufficiently fast, and you'll need a fast lens and high ISOs.
If you do decide to get the D50 (or a dslr), be sure to get a 50mm f/
1.8 lens for low light shots (note that the D40 will not AF with this
lens, so I'd avoid it).

Yes I agree the best choice is a D50 with a 50mm f/1.8 lens. As the kid
starts moving more, it will move fast and that's not something you can
capture with a point & shoot camera in low light. The D40 won't
autofocus on fast lenses. If you want to do low light family gatherings,
look at the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 at about $430 as well since the 50mm is not
wide enough for group shots in tight indoor spaces. If you don't mind
cranking up the ISO for grainy images, the D40 and kit lens may suffice,
a P&S won't even come close, that will cripple your ability to shoot
what you want.

Old February 19th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Feb 19, 8:31 pm, "skanji" wrote:
So is a nikon d50 or canon xt/i the best way to go? I suppose the
basic lense is ok for now?

The basic lens is very slow. I suggest you also get a 50mm f/1.8. This
will allow, for example, a shot at 1/80s where the kit lens would need
1/10s (at 55mm, both the Canon and Nikon 18-55 are f/5.6; I just
checked). At around 50mm, 1/80s is easily handholdable, 1/10s is
impossible to handhold. The 50mm f/1.8 lenses are quite cheap.

Old February 19th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

skanji wrote:

So is a nikon d50 or canon xt/i the best way to go?

Correct.

I suppose the basic lense is ok for now?

If budget isn't a problem get a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 lens. Verify whether it
will autofocus on a D40, no problem on a D50 or Canon. The kit lenses
will all be too slow to get good images in low light. You really do not
need a zoom lens, only the very expensive zooms are reasonably fast and
with a normal field of view you can capture most anything for family
shots. A 28mm f/2.8 lens is a reasonable compromise for about the same
price for either Canon or Nikon and might be a little more compact than
the Sigma.
Old February 19th 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Feb 19, 9:06 pm, Paul Furman wrote:
If you don't mind
cranking up the ISO for grainy images, the D40 and kit lens may suffice,

I doubt that. He'll really want to take photographs in low artificial
light for which ISO 1600 at f/5.6 isn't really enough. From
experience, ISO 1600 and f/1.8 is barely enough in some situations
like this. Of course, if he decides he only wants to take photos of
the baby outside during the day, he could also use a p&s, but I
guarantee he'll change his mind very quickly.

Old February 19th 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
skanji

Canada question...

I know Sears had the Canon Rebel XTI xti kit on sale for $850 (CDN) a
couple of months ago. This was the black one with the 18-55 lens. I
missed it as I was out of town. I suppose I don't need the 18-55 Lens
and will pick up the 50mm f/1.8 Lens instead.

Do you guys know of the d50 or xti at this pricepoint? I guess I
could get it used from Henry's for about the $500 range without a
Lens.