Florida Late January early February

Old January 6th 04, 06:44 PM
Scott Fairbairn

Default Florida Late January early February

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had location recommendations for photographing
Ospreys in SW florida? Also, are there any locations that are good bets for
photographing Painted Buntings?
Any other location recommendations would be appreciated.

thanks
scott

Old January 6th 04, 09:23 PM
Bill Hilton

From: "Scott Fairbairn"

I was wondering if anyone had location recommendations for photographing
Ospreys in SW florida?

We see a lot of them at Ding Darling NWR on Sanibel Island, dozens of nests are
built on towers nearby, especially near the school. Occasionally one catches a
fish and stops near the road long enough for a shot.

On the loop road drive slowly and near the 1.5 mile sign there's a nest on the
left (the past couple years anyway) that's not too far off and reachable with a
500 & 1.4x. The parents were bringing fish back to the chicks last year,
better light in the AM. Most people drive by this, looking at the sights to
the right, but look carefully and you can spot the nest. Sometimes you have to
wait 30 minutes before the parent returns with a fish. Not sure if they'll be
feeding chicks in January but definitely by late Feb.

Also several nests you can photograph around Flamingo Lodge (Everglades) most
years.

Also, are there any locations that are good bets for
photographing Painted Buntings?

We were able to photograph them near a feeder at Corkscrew Swamp last year in
late Feb, though most were banded. There's a left-turn that goes to a dead end
near the start of the boardwalk loop with a feeder and they come to that. We
got the better shots when they perched briefly on other limbs, etc before
swooping in to the feeder. You need a long lens (500 + 2x t/c), fill-flash and
fast focus to get them, unless you are luckier than we were. You can also get
owls here, ask the Audubon volunteers if they've spotted any nesting in
cavities (and for the exact turn-off for the feeding station).

I would save Corkscrew for a cloudy day and use fill flash will a flash
extender, if you have it. Otherwise the light is pretty contrasty in there for
my tastes.

Any other location recommendations would be appreciated.

Since you're in that general area, in addition to Ding Darling and Corkscrew
I'd recommend the Venice Rookery for egrets and herons nesting on an island
about 20 yards from the bank, Shark Valley in the Everglades (especially good
if you walk in an hour before sunrise and have it to yourself for the first 3
hours), and Anhinga Trail in the 'Glades near Homestead. Anhinga Trail was
probably our most productive spot for a wide variety of species and behaviors
with good light early and late.

A stop by Clyde Butcher's Gallery near the Big Cypress Swamp is a nice break
(not too far from Shark Valley).

Bill

Old January 7th 04, 01:18 PM
Scott Fairbairn

Thanks for information, do you have any recommendations for central florida
or areas north of St.Petersburg?..........in my past visits , I have never
really found any areas central florida or north of St.Petes that worked for
me. Most of my luck seemed to be south of Venice, Ft. Myers etc.
I know the St. Augustine farm is supposed to be good(but in January,
february, I don't know about), but it is a big drive from Miami area if you
don't have anything else to check out.
thanks again
scott

Old January 10th 04, 12:04 PM
PWW

At this time of year most good birding places are farther south of St Pete.
The Venice Rookery is just starting prime time. The good thing about the
southern spots in January is a LARGE concentration of a variety of birds for
bird photography. This make them a good chance of getting great photography.
The farther north you go the less concentrated the bird populations. So most
places North of St Pete will have limited photo opportunities right now.

The Alligator farm will not be very good now. April is the time for it.

--
PWW (Paul Wayne Wilson)
Over 1,000 Photographs Online at,

Old January 11th 04, 06:28 AM
Karl

Ospreys abound on Honeymoon Island near Dunedin, FL (Clearwwater/St
Pete area) Many nests. Lots of shore birds there too. Also, the
north end of Ft Desoto Park is a great bird spot. Arthur Morris does
a trip there each year.

-=[ Karl ]=-