What lenses for Minolta Maxxum 5

Old September 15th 04, 08:00 PM
Alan Browne

Mike wrote:

Alan Browne wrote in

I'm biased to the 24-105.

Don't blame you for that. While I don't have one (I'd like to, but can't
jsutify it, since my 28-105 is more than adequate for my needs), it has the
rep of being as sharp as the 24-85, without the 24-85's distortion
problems. But it's probably out of the range of the posters' price, which
if I'm recalling the thread correctly was a big consideration.

Yes, I was ignoring the price restriction ... otoh I didn't
invoke the f/2.8 constants either (;-))

Old September 16th 04, 03:39 AM
Tom

"John Doe" wrote in message ...
Mike wrote:
"John Doe" wrote in news:ci94j1
- Minolta 70-210mm f/4

Awesome lens. Very sharp, very well made. A little slow to focuus

on
older cameras, but should be OK on your 5. Quite heavy - you will

want
to support it with one hand while shooting.

- Minolta 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6

OK - some very good results have come from it, but not as good as the

above.

- Minolta 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6

Surprisingly good for the price, but you cna do a lot better.

However,
it is very light.

- Minolta 24-85mm F3.5-4.5

Extremely sharp, quite contrasty. The weird distortion puts me off

the
lens though. This distortion is evident at all focal lengths.

- Minolta 28-105mm F3.5-4.5

Very good lens. I have 11x17s from it which are very sharp indeed.
Under rated, and a good example of why not to believe everything lens

tests tell you.

I forgot to mention the 28-85mm F3.5-4.5.

Apart from the 50mm, I am leaning towards:
Minolta 28-??(85/105) + 70-210mm

Thanks,

Siddhartha

I usually recommend the 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 "i" version. It is the
second version of the 70-210 that Minolta made for the AF cameras. It
is lighter and more compact than the first generation f/4 version. It
is as sharp and focuses faster. It also has a focus hold button which
can be programmed for different functions depending on your camera.
(check the custom fuctions in your camera users manual. The "i" used
to be cheaper than the f/4 at keh. I just checked and was surprised
that it has gone up in price significantly compared with the f/4
(about $126 to $165 for the f/3.5-4.5 vs $100 for the f/4 in similar
condition). I like the light weight and compact size of the newer
lens and its faster focus on my older cameras so its worth the price
to me. On my 7 both lenses are fast, so I assume that they would also
be on your 5.

Tom

Old September 16th 04, 07:20 AM
John Doe

John Doe wrote:
I have decided to go for a 50mm f/1.7 lens with Maxxum 5. What other
lenses should I buy? I am just a beginner with hobbyist intentions
only. I prefer shooting landscapes/panorama, the occasional portrait
that I find interesting, and indoors (parties/marriages). I rarely

zoom
but don't mind having a zoom also for some trip to forest reserves
where a zoom may prove useful.

Thanks for all the responses. I think I will get the 50mm f1.7,
70-210mm f/4 and 28-105mm. I'll probably leave the 28-105 all the time
on. I would've gone for the 28-85, but the extra 20mm seems useful.

Btw, 28-105 does not seem to available at keh as of now. Any other
decent used stores where I can find it?

Thanks,

Siddhartha

Old September 16th 04, 11:41 AM
Mike

"John Doe" wrote in news:cibbbp$io2
Thanks for all the responses. I think I will get the 50mm f1.7,
70-210mm f/4 and 28-105mm. I'll probably leave the 28-105 all the time
on. I would've gone for the 28-85, but the extra 20mm seems useful.

All good choices. You should be happy with them.

Btw, 28-105 does not seem to available at keh as of now. Any other
decent used stores where I can find it?

You could try Cameta Camera. They're not as good as KEH, but who is?

Mike

Old September 16th 04, 04:57 PM
Alan Browne

Tom wrote:

I usually recommend the 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 "i" version. It is the
second version of the 70-210 that Minolta made for the AF cameras. It

I used to have that lens. Surprisingly sharp, but quite slow at
the long end. For the price a good compromise. Still, if it can
be found used, the 70-210 f/4 is a better lens in all respects
(if heavier).

Old September 17th 04, 11:16 AM
John Doe

Mike wrote:
"John Doe" wrote in news:cibbbp$io2
Thanks for all the responses. I think I will get the 50mm f1.7,
70-210mm f/4 and 28-105mm. I'll probably leave the 28-105 all the

time
on. I would've gone for the 28-85, but the extra 20mm seems useful.

All good choices. You should be happy with them.

Btw, 28-105 does not seem to available at keh as of now. Any other
decent used stores where I can find it?

You could try Cameta Camera. They're not as good as KEH, but who is?

Mike

I noticed that the Maxxum 5 has low-light assist lamp in the flash so
that means the flash has to be popped up in low-light. Then it flashes
before taking the photo for focussing. Does that mean I will HAVE to
take flash photos in low-light if I am using AF? I hate to take flash
photos. I mostly prefer ambient light.

Cheers,

Siddhartha