D70 -sync speed

Old September 15th 04, 07:36 PM
columbotrek

In a studio, one has control over the lighting. HSS is a trick for use
when you don't. So why does it matter that flash gun tricks don't work
with studio lights?

However for use with studio strobes, HSS is useless.

Old September 16th 04, 01:18 AM
Apteryx

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
.. .
Apteryx wrote:
"Christoph Breitkopf" wrote in message

Colin D writes:

If so I would guess since the curtain travel is a bit shorter
that they could shorten the time... but 1/500 is a real

I understand they don't use the focal-plane shutter for the 1/500

sec.

shots, but an electronic shutter, like digicams.

That's right. With some third party flashes the D70 will even
sync at all shutter speeds down to 1/8000. (I've seen this
in practice with a Metz flash).

Me too (with a tiny and ancient Starblitz). But it does require a
Don't-try-this-at-home warning that the manual warns that "Negative
voltages or voltages over 250 volts applied to the accessory shoe

could
not only prevent normal operation, but damage the sync circuitry of

the
camera or the flash"

That's High Speed Sync which is a different beast altogether.

I assure you my 20yr old, pocket sized Starblitz does not support High
Speed Sync

--
Apteryx
Treat anger like gold. Spend it wisely or not at all.

Old September 16th 04, 09:13 AM
Christoph Breitkopf

Alan Browne writes:

No Alan, it's not HSS. The flashlights mentioned certainly do
not support HSS. This is real thing.
Of course, you need some experimentation and adjustments
to get correct exposures at faster shutter speeds, but this
is quickly done with a digital SLR.

I'll take your word for it ... however this implies that a "software"
shutter is used rather than mechanical (whether or not is is

Yes, exactly. The mechanical shutter is basically only used to
protect the sensor. It always opens fully. The actual exposure
is done with the sensor only, like in compact digtal cameras.

And to put a point on it ... I don't see how this would work with
studio strobes (except haphazardly).

That's the "experimentation and adjustments" thing :-)
If the flash duration is longer than the used "shutter" speed,
you will get underexposure. Should be easy enough to correct,
but then again I don't know anything about studio flashes.

Regards,
Chris

--
Bokeh test images: http://www.bokeh.de/en/bokeh_images.html

Old September 16th 04, 05:24 PM
Alan Browne

Christoph Breitkopf wrote:

That's the "experimentation and adjustments" thing :-)
If the flash duration is longer than the used "shutter" speed,
you will get underexposure. Should be easy enough to correct,
but then again I don't know anything about studio flashes.

Studio strobes discharge in about 0.0001 (or faster) to 0.0015 s.
So 1/500 would fit just right. But it's the way the electronic
'gating' of the image takes place that may cause unusual exposure
effects.

In nay case, thanks to everyone for the replies.

Cheers,
Alan

Old September 17th 04, 04:25 PM
Alan Browne

columbotrek wrote:

In a studio, one has control over the lighting. HSS is a trick for use
when you don't. So why does it matter that flash gun tricks don't work
with studio lights?

Please don't top post.

Alan Browne wrote:

However for use with studio strobes, HSS is useless.

I don't really care that HSS is useless with studio strobes, the
whole post is about "what is the deal with the 1/500 sync speed
of the D70"

My cameras sync at 1/300 and 1/200. Most leaf shuttered lenses
sync up to 1/500. I was surprised to see the D70 seemingly have
a shutter speed to match a leaf. Given the smaller imaging area,
I suppose some shutter speed improvement could be attained...
OTOH, the only Nikon that shoots 1/300 sync is the F5. (F6 backs
down to 1/250).

It turns out that the D70 1/500 sync is sensor based not shutter
based.

Cheers,
Alan