The next big advance in digital

Old September 14th 04, 10:53 PM
Stephen H. Westin

Dallas writes:

Imagine you're working in the studio, or out on the sports field and
whatever shots you are taking are downloaded not to a Compact Flash card,
but directly to your computer via a high speed, wireless connection of
some sort.

Wouldn't *that* be cool?

Well, yeah. Kodak has had a modem feature on the DCS professional
DSLR's for years, and I think Nikon is supposed to announce a WiFi
adapter using PTP over IP at Photokina. I seem to recall some noise
about BlueTooth on some Sony consumer digicams, as well.

The challenges a how far and how fast? A digital camera is a great
way to generate lots of bits in a hurry. Transmitting that anywhere in
a reasonable time is a challenge, and getting it across the country
would be an interesting problem. Certainly for the time being, there
will still be lots o' storage in the camera, if only as a backup for a
failed wireless connection.

--
-Stephen H. Westin

Old September 15th 04, 12:49 AM
McLeod

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 22:00:36 +0200, Dallas
wrote:

Imagine you're working in the studio, or out on the sports field and
whatever shots you are taking are downloaded not to a Compact Flash card,
but directly to your computer via a high speed, wireless connection of
some sort.

Wouldn't *that* be cool?

Yeah, but I saw it done over a year ago with the Nikon D2H. It has
WiFi and was specifically targeted to sports shooting.

Old September 15th 04, 02:33 AM
William Graham

"Dallas" wrote in message
news
Imagine you're working in the studio, or out on the sports field and
whatever shots you are taking are downloaded not to a Compact Flash card,
but directly to your computer via a high speed, wireless connection of
some sort.

Wouldn't *that* be cool?

Well, they've already built cameras into cell phones.....So why not build
cell phones into cameras?

Old September 15th 04, 02:36 AM
William Graham

"Rick Armstrong" wrote in message
anews.com...

"Dallas" wrote in message
news
Imagine you're working in the studio, or out on the sports field and
whatever shots you are taking are downloaded not to a Compact Flash

card,
but directly to your computer via a high speed, wireless connection of
some sort.

Wouldn't *that* be cool?

Take a look at this:
http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/336/C2502/

What I wonder is where the antenna goes.....On top of your head?

Old September 15th 04, 05:19 AM
Skip M

"William Graham" wrote in message

"Rick Armstrong" wrote in message
anews.com...

"Dallas" wrote in message
news
Imagine you're working in the studio, or out on the sports field and
whatever shots you are taking are downloaded not to a Compact Flash

card,
but directly to your computer via a high speed, wireless connection of
some sort.

Wouldn't *that* be cool?

Take a look at this:
http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/336/C2502/

What I wonder is where the antenna goes.....On top of your head?

Its base looks like it would fit nicely on that little button on the top of
a baseball cap... G

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com